“I absolutely LOVED the Zen Hotel and will be back again and again!!!`”
Review of The Zen Hotel

The Zen Hotel
Ranked #7 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Glendale, AZ
“I absolutely LOVED the Zen Hotel and will be back again and again!!!`”
Reviewed 2 September 2011

The hotel grounds are nicely appointed with just the appropriate amount of gardening and waterfalls -- so zen! They are extremely polite and wonderful at the front desk and the general manager is amazing. He even showed me to my room late at night to make sure I got there safely. The morning breakfast was delicious and couldn't be beat. And, checking out was as simple as pie. I would always stay here -- the staff is wonderful and the appointments perfect.. I would recommend this hotel to all my friends!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank Patricia R
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is always our staff's goal to make sure we go above and beyond to provide you with customer service that can challenge any five star hotel. Your feedback helps tremendously to keep our team motivated and we thank you for that.

Thank you for sharing your experince and recommending us to your friends, we hope to see you back soon.

Cheers,

THE ZEN HOTEL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Hebrew first
Houston
Reviewed 30 August 2011

When you pull up you are a bit worried because it is a converted motel. But as you can read in everyone's reviews, the rooms are just fabulous! The best is the super firm mattresses with super soft bed toppers. The best of both worlds! We stayed there 2 weekends and each end of a week vacation. The second weekend we were put into huge suites that are a great value if you need the space and they are available! We needed to repack our 4 suitcases into a 5th to accommodate all the wine we bought! So having the living room was great! I think they have 2 huge and 2 large 1 bedroom suites in the back section. (they must be 209,309, 212, 312) Our unit had a living room, full kitchen and fridge, and the regular size room and bath as well. The other suite was an oversized room with a sitting area and fridge. The only negative (which is really just a tough luck reality check) is no elevator to 2nd floor rooms and no bell person to take it up there but yourself. Breakfast goes above and beyond for what you would expect. A great value. We will definitely stay there next time we are in Palo Alto.

Room Tip: If you need lots of space check out their 1 br suites. I think they are 209, 309, 212, 312.
1 Thank wwmb
Dear guest,

I am very glad you found us! As you properly highlight, our goal after the renovations was to provide super comfortable rooms with great amenities, without losing the charm and uniqueness of our open courtyard setup. I am pleased to learn you were able to enjoy one of our suites; we are indeed very proud of them. They are a great fit for bigger families and guests that need that additional space or are looking to cook during their stay.

You are correct. Since we are a small operation, we currently do not have a bell person available. However, any of our front desk staff (including myself) would be delighted to assist you with your luggage next time you stay with us.

Thank you for sharing your experience with us, see you next time.

Regards,

Mountain View, California
Reviewed 26 August 2011

This is a motel.

That's really our only complaint. My mom and I came and stayed here for a few days while looking for housing I could move into next month. We were greeted in the evening by the friendly staff and warm cookies in the lobby. We came to the room with the free wireless and complimentary bottled water (and green tea candies)... collapsed on the very soft queen beds in front of the giant flatscreen tv and went to sleep. In the morning we enjoyed the delicious hot breakfast: scrambled eggs, sausage, roasted potatoes, oatmeal, banana, apples, oranges, honeydew, raisin bran, fruit loops, yogurt, bagels, english muffins, bread, chocolate muffins, raspberry muffins, croissants, OJ, and coffee.

And get this: the breakfast was different the next day. And so were the cookies, when I came back to the lobby when we got locked out and they remembered my face, along with which room number I was staying in.

One thing: the fitness center has been closed all the days we've been here, despite repeated promises that it would be open in the next few hours.

For this price, in this area, this is a really great situation. And if you need a knowledgeable concierge, you need to use TripAdvisor more!

Room Tip: Make sure you get the warm cookies in the lobby in the afternoon/evening!
2 Thank ajhorse21
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2011
Dear guest,

Thank you for submitting your great review. We love it when you as a guest help us share your experience and let potential guests know about the amenities we offer here at The Zen Hotel. I am happy you enjoyed our breakfast and our freshly baked cookies (they are becoming increasingly popular!).

My apologies for having our Fitness Center closed during your stay. As part of our efforts to improve our property's appeal, we were working on re-surfacing the area immediate to the entrance to our Fitness Center. The project has been completed and it looks beautiful.

Thank you again, we hope to welcome you soon for yet another great stay at our hotel.

San Clemente, California
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Don't be deceived by the exterior as this is a converted motel that has been beautifully transformed to a boutique hotel. We were given a free upgrade and were in a beautiful one bedroom suite with kitchen, dining and living room accommodations at half the cost of a simple hotel room at the Marriott or other similar hotels in the Palo Alto area. Only a couple miles away from the university made it an easy commute to visit the university. Clean, friendly service - if my son attends Stanford I'd definitely stay here again when visiting.

2 Thank DJM2320
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your wonderful comments. It is very pleasant to hear about your good experience while staying with us; and learn that we are moving in the right direction when it comes to our overall guests' satisfaction. We hope you welcome you back soon when your travel plans call to stay in this area again.

Best regards,

los angeles
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This Hotel looks like a no-go from the outside but it's totally amazing once you walk into the lobby and step into a gorgeous room. Free Parking, Free internet, Free Hot Breakfast, Warn cookies in the afternoon and rooms desinged and decorated like a 5 star hotel. This is the only place we will every stay when we visit our daughter at Stanford University. Great prices for a luxurious Motel.

Room Tip: The double queen bedrooms are huge!!
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank punkrockmom
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear Guest,

On behalf of the staff and management at The Zen Hotel, I want to thank you for the wonderful comments about our accommodations and amenities. I am very glad to learn you had a five-star experience while staying with us.

We look forward to welcome you again in the future when visiting your daughter at Stanford.

Best Regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We made a college trip to see Stanford, I found the place on TripAdvisor and based on the comments and ratings decide to give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised by the decor, service, cleanliness and it has really nice comfortable beds too.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank uin
CA
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The first thing you need to know is that this is a converted motel and everything follows from that (they left the noisy & ineffective wall heater/air conditioners; the rooms are small; the walls are thin). There is a certain gap then between the pictures you see on the website and the actual rooms you will stay in, all having to do with framing and perspective. If you're like me, the pictures will raise your expectations quite a bit. Another item of note: the beds are the softest I have ever experienced, so much so that I came home with a major backache and I'm not even of the age, I didn't think, where backaches were something to be considered. But the mattresses really are terrible: we had to flip them around because when we first got in bed it was clear our heads were on a downhill slope.

It's direct to Stanford but the buses do not run regularly and not throughout the year.

Note to site administrators: This is the second time I have posted but I don't think it's a duplicate because I don't see my review here.

Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank DiMe2
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this review, 22 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay with us. Your comments are much appreciated and are of great help pointing us in the right direction to fine tune our operations to achieve our ultimate goal: a wonderful guest experience.

We have completed most of our improvements after our renovations, but still have some exciting projects down the pipeline. We hope you try us out next time you are in the Palo Alto area, and have an opportunity to experience what’s new at The Zen Hotel.

Thank you again for your comments, they do make a difference.