“Wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Tempe, Arizona
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

I spent three nights here on business, and other than a small snafu on check-in, which was quickly fixed, it was great.

I was given a room with two queens in the back part of the hotel by mistake, and while some people here have mentioned how much they like those rooms, I asked to move. It was dark and gloomy, and having two doors into the room, especially one from the back secluded garden, didn't feel especially secure. Had I not been traveling alone, I might have felt differently, but I much preferred the smaller room in the front right off the parking lot where there were people.

The beds are comfortable and the rooms well-appointed, and they have an amazing number of tv channels, if you want to spend time holed up watching the tube. Everything was spotlessly clean, and I appreciated having bottles of water in the room because they use a water softener, so the tap water is kind of funky to drink. The hot breakfast is nice and it was a little different every morning.

Most hotels have those little tags that tell you to hang your towels if you want to use them again, but when you do, they change them out anyway. That's not the case here. It's a little thing, but I was happy that weren't just giving lip service to water conservation.

Only one negative about the room -- the beds are on platforms and I stubbed my toes every time I walked around it. They're padded, but still, ouch.

The location is good, only a few minutes from campus and nice food and shopping. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again. One other thing -- my ATT cell service was awful, and when I mentioned it to the front desk, they said it's a problem all over Palo Alto. Sure enough, I had trouble on campus too. Kind of ironic to be in the heart of one of the most technologically innovative places on the planet and not be able to make a reliable phone call.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again next time I'm in the area.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank julias21
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this review, 27 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about your experience at The Zen Hotel. We really appreciate when a satisfied guest makes the effort to spread the word about what we are all about here at The Zen.

I am glad to learn you found your stay enjoyable and that when something did not go as planned, we found a quick and suitable solution for you.

Thank you for pointing out about our wide selection of in-room TV channels. We just finished this upgrade and it is wonderful to see that it is welcomed.

We look forward to your next visit to Palo Alto.

Best regards,

THE ZEN HOTEL

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Hebrew first
Windermere, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2013

So, somebody bought an old motel and turned it into this! The whole place has been painted refitted, restored, redone, replanted and It was so nicely done that I had to find the owner and complement them. The only worry I had was proximity to the street, but we slept just beautifully. We would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Christian E
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

Reviving an older property can take many forms but few are as stylish or as successful as the transformation of a former motel to The Zen Hotel in Palo Alto. Conveniently located on El Camino Real just a few blocks from Stanford University, the Zen somehow manages not to have street noise and to offer a true oasis. The rooms are thoughtfully equipped; the complimentary breakfast goes beyond the usual "free" hotel fare; and the extra touches (cookies, tea, newspapers, apples) are all welcome. This was our second stay. We will return.

1 Thank Catherine C
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for recognizing our efforts to make you stay a truly enjoyable one. Although we kept the feel and charm of a motor hotel, we indeed offer an experience that is surrounded with amenities usually found only at upscale hotels. From our complimentary hot breakfast buffet and high end teas, to our bathrobes and slippers offered in all of our rooms; we take special care in making sure you get pampered while staying with us.

This is also a great opportunity to inform you that we recently upgraded our TV channel lineup. Our in-room TV programming now boasts 120 channels to choose from, 70 of which are in high definition! We look forward to your next visit and we hope you enjoy our latest upgrades.

See you next time,

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2013

First, the room was clean and the decor pleasant. What was disturbing was that I paid over $200 for a room where I could hear my neighbour through the walls making a telephone call at night. Secondly, the cable TV was fuzzy for lack of a better word. The analog channels looked like they were being routed by an antenna. True they give you free bottled water, but it doesn' tmake up for the fact that they are trying to charge hotel rates for what is really a dressed up motel with thin walls.

1 Thank leif0
ricberr, General Manager at The Zen Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad we were able to connect. It was my pleasure responding to your concerns directly and sharing the exciting enhancements we have coming around the corner that will take our in-room TV experience to the next level and provide a great, brand new HD selection of programming.

We were very pleased to welcome you again for you extended stay reservation. I hope you are enjoying your stay.

Best regards,

Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2013

It's not often I feel that a room is clean enough to walk around barefooted, but this room felt that clean! The price is good, it feels safe. They have attempted to make it feel Asian/Zen feeling, and although not an expert on Zen, it did feel calm and tranquil. I needed my a/c fan on to mute out closing car doors, sirens, etc, but overall a quiet stay. It's a converted motor court, so you can park about 15 feet from your door. The breakfast is fairly good. Nothing special but they do have scrambled eggs and oatmeal. Be careful when walking around the bed because the wood at the bottom sticks out. Thankfully there is padding so you don't get bruised. No complaints! Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Room 108 is in a corner and quieter than others, however it's a handicap accessible room and mig...
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2013

I work at a university in North Carolina, and every Spring Break we take a group of students in entrepreneurship education to tour start-ups in Silicon Valley. We have stayed at The Zen Hotel two years in a row for these trips and have had a wonderful experience both times. Even before I arrive, I know that I can contact Ricardo with any questions I have about the area. He has helped me navigate the public transportation system to San Francisco, as well as recommended shuttle services. He is in regular contact with me until our group arrives, which is very comforting because I always know things are taken care of at the Zen. That's one less thing to worry about when I'm worrying about a million others! Ricardo goes above and beyond his job at the Zen to ensure we have a fantastic trip.

Our group is always impressed by the cleanliness of the rooms and the nice little touches around the hotel. We rent the suite for group meetings and lunches. The back patio off of the room is a favorite among the students, and always gets our trip off to a nice start when we have lunch there. The rooms are private, which enables staff and faculty to have a little quiet time after spending 13 hour days with the group. The rooms are a large size, and the updated features (marble countertops, room decor) give it a modern touch. The continental breakfast is very yummy. The Zen provides a variety of breakfast items everyday, including fresh fruit and coffee which were popular items for us to take on-the-go. Perhaps the best evidence of this is the fact that college students actually woke up for the breakfast at 7 AM:) I saw every student there each morning.

You can tell the staff at the Zen takes a lot of pride in their hotel. The customer service always exceeds my expectations--we've never had a problem checking-in or checking-out as a group of 17. We will continue to stay at the Zen for many years to come!

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

I was in zen hotel for 14 days.what can I say? Only good words. It is quiet, very clean, nice breakfast, friendly stuff. They made me feel like home, especially Ryan which made a lot of efforts to help me with some problem I had. The location is near Stanford university.

Room Tip: Try to ask a room on ground floor facing the small garden.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family