“OK macroons and Mariage Frères tea”
Review of Chantal Guillon

Chantal Guillon
Ranked #18 of 20 Dessert in Palo Alto
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I was surprised to hear that there was a new macaroon place in the South Bay, and was excited to try them. I received a box of six different macaroons from Chantal Guillon in Palo Alto as a gift. They were in a little gift box and quite pretty. I think it contained pistachio, almond, chocolate, salted caramel, rose, and red velvet. My boyfriend and I split each one in half and tried them. We both thought the salted caramel was the best, my bf is a big fan of this flavor but I am not so it was a bit surprising that this was my preference out of the box. However, overall, many of the macaroons, while OK, were not very memorable, although we were able to guess the flavors of each one which is a good sign. Some were a bit too sweet for our taste, some a bit muted in flavor, and some were kind of gritty on the outside. I should say that the macaroons were a day old when we tasted them so this may have affected their taste. I do not think, however, that they are any comparison from those we've had in Paris, such as at Ladurée. However, I am excited because I heard they sell some of the teas from Mariage Frères, which are difficult to find in the U.S. I was also told they have something called bacetti which is a handmade gelato ice cream bite dipped in chocolate, which sounds interesting. Overall, I definitely plan to visit to try some of the other flavors (my bf wants more of the salted caramel and I would like to try the lavender and some of the fruit flavors) and to buy some tea.

1  Thank JT33Dallas
There are newer reviews for Chantal Guillon

Reviewed 5 January 2013

The best macaroons I have ever had. Very classy. Delicate flavor. NOT sugary though sweet. The filling inside of lemon or passion fruit in those flavors is very delicious. Tried pista and Almonds too. Outstanding! Must visit. $1.80 a piece and 100 calories. Um Um Um!