“I really like this business model, of the reinvention of fast food.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spice Kit

Spice Kit
Ranked #247 of 355 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese
Mountain View, California
“I really like this business model, of the reinvention of fast food.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2013

Met my fiance here for lunch one day, since we both love banh mi so so very much. As it turned out, he got the banh mi and I got the ssam, just to try both out. (With tofu, of course!) In my opinion, the banh mi had a lot of flavor but the bread to filling ratio was too high... just too much bread for the sandwich! I liked the ssam too, although mayyyybe it was a little dry. And just a touch blander than I expected. Not bad though, I'd surely get it again (although not without trying something else first, knowing me)

The real reason this place gets four stars is for the vegetarian mushroom buns they had that day. I could have had a lunch of just those. A lot of those. I was in love with dem buns. I was also super impressed with how quickly they moved through a long line right at the Palo Alto lunch rush... Definitely some professionalism going on there!

• Visited January 2013

california
“Great spot for a quick lunch with authentic tastes.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Tried this restaurant for lunch for the first time. The menu was fresh and simple. Typical Asian street food prepared with care and and an eye for presentation. Had the Korean wrap with chicken that was delicious. Staff were friendly and helpful. A great addition to the California Ave. restaurant scene.

• Visited November 2012
Mountain View, CA
“My kind of fast food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 October 2012

This is my kind of fast food. After an errand, my stomach loudly informed me that I was in fact, at 11am, starving. Having recently read about Spice Kit opening in Palo Alto + noting that they opened at 11am + having a long overdue hankering for Banh Mi + not wanting to cook + wanting it freshly made w/excellent ingredients = a direct drive to Spice Kit.
Nice, clean, minimalist atmosphere; you can see them preparing the food behind the counter. I told Fred that this was my 1st visit & after a few quick questions, he set me up w/the short ribs Banh Mi & Limeade. I asked Fred how sweet the Calamansi “Lime-ade” was; he poured me a taste & I was sold!
I wanted to order the steamed pork buns too, but I knew my eyeballs were on hunger overdrive so I’m saving those for my return visit. And return I shall.
Within minutes my order was ready & I settled down to a very fresh, tasty Banh Mi that I devoured in minutes flat. The balance of the delicious meat, pate, carrots, daikon, cucumbers, cilantro, mayo & jalapeno was perfect. I don’t like a lot of mayo & they did it right. The jalapeno didn’t over power either. It added a hint of heat which was perfect for me. My guess if you want hotter, you can ask for more jalapeno. They also have plenty of Sriracha rooster sauce on hand. Those of you with heartier appetites should order a side, as this sandwich was perfect for my appetite w/no left overs. After checking the wrapper to make sure I hadn’t missed a crumb, I noticed that at ~11:35am, folks were coming & going w/their take out orders & seats were beginning to fill up. It has a small interior w/the focus being on take out. They have a few seats outside as well. This place would be ideal for ordering food to go for a picnic at the Roden Sculpture Garden at the Stanford Museum.
Patting my now silent stomach, I stole a quick glance back at the counter contemplating my return visit. Like I said, my kind of fast food!

• Visited October 2012