“Fusion with flair” 5 of 5 bubbles

Tamarine Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 355 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: Asian, Vietnamese, Fusion
Good for: Bar Scene, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Child-friendly
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Tasso & Webster
Description: Tamarine is a contemporary Vietnamese restaurant that features the light but flavor-intensive culinary delicacies of Vietnam. The restaurant offers a menu based on small plates, promoting the Vietnamese tradition of the 'shared' meal in which food is shared and enjoyed with those close. Tamarine's small plate entrees are enjoyed with the pairing of a variety of aromatic, flavor infused rice, designed to be mixed and matched to create a truly unique flavor experience. Along with culinary delicacies of Vietnam, the restaurant showcases the works of emerging artists from Vietnam and other Southeast Asian countries. Semi-annual exhibits will close with a cocktail event to auction the art. Proceeds will be donated to La Maison Chance, an orphanage in Saigon, Vietnam.
Palo Alto, California
“Fusion with flair”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We have dined at Tamarine several times. The place can be a little crowded and noisy, but the food is superb, elegantly served. They offer a fusion mix of Asian (mostly Vietnamese-Chinese food) with a French flair and influence. Their dishes are very creative. Prices are high.

• Visited August 2013

• Korean first
Boston, MA
“Delicious Food Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2013

My husband and I have eaten here in the past and understand that the restaurant is constantly busy. With that in mind, we were concerned we would lose our reservation (since we were going to arrive 45 minutes late). Luckily, Tamarine held our time, but explained that the table did have a reservation 2 hours after ours. So, we needed to be finished in that time frame. That was perfectly acceptable to us and we were pleased to have the time. Dinner was delicious (summer salad, shaking beef, lemongrass sea bass, roasted brussel sprouts and garlic fried rice). Our server was attentive without being intrusive, humorous without being silly. We'll definitely go back.

Omaha, Nebraska
“Not as good as last year...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

Still an excellent option. Appetizers were excellent - I had the prawns but they were a bit difficult to get out of the shell. Tasted farm-raised.

Atmosphere is excellent and service is good without being pushy or overbearing.

San Jose, California
“Poor Service at Tamarine”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

I’ve been to Tamarine many times and always found the food and service to be very good, but not great. Certainly not as great as their popularity would indicate. It is very pricey, but it’s a “Hip” place to go in Palo Alto so you pay extra for that. Last night my date wanted to go, so we went there. You must have reservations to get a table and I know that, so no surprise, when we were told no tables all evening. I asked if the bar was still “open seating” and the hostess, Nunee, said yes, so we proceeded to sit at a bar table in the center of the bar. Nunee showed up, and said that these seats were saved for a girl who had gone down the street to get her friend. She made us get up, and INSTRUCTED us to sit at the bar. I’ve never met a more arrogant, self important person in my life, but sat at the bar anyway. 45 minutes past and still no girl from down the street showed up. In the meantime, the bartender who was a very nice young man, dumped my wine and water in my date’s lap. She was a “good sport” about it, but not happy just the same that her very expensive outfit got wet, and she was uncomfortable for the rest of the evening. I came out of the bathroom and ran into the manager, and told him about my experience with Nunee, and the accident at the bar. No apology, just excuses for Nunee, and just another arrogant employee. After about an hour, my friend Nunee sat an older couple at the seats we originally attempted to sit at in the “open seating” area. Clearly not the girl who went to get her friend from down the street. To be clear we were dressed to the “9’s”, and my date was a beautiful woman, and I am a long time Silicon Valley executive so we looked “the part” to dine at Tamarine. Then again, maybe not. So, if you want a pretty good Vietnamese meal, at big prices, and be treated like a bum off the street then you should definitely try Tamarine in Palo Alto.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, Washington
“Very Good Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013 via mobile

We very much enjoyed dining at Tamarine last night. The cocktails were superb. We had the Pear Trois, an excellent mix of not too sweet vodka pear pisco and lemon. I'm still thinking about that. Several could go down very easily. We also tried the awesome garden cooler which was a great mix and made for a refreshing drink.

Then we had the shrimp spring rolls and the tuna tartare. We were hooked. The atmosphere is minimalist and low key. We were in the back room where it is quieter and we liked that.

For the main course we shared the Duck and the Lamb. Both were exquisite! I loved the grilled peaches with the duck.
We also ordered coconut rice which was very delicious. Presentation was beautiful.
Overall an outstanding dining experience of unique and exquisite cuisine that is served well and not to be missed.