“best late night bet” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Menlo Park, California
“best late night bet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Cafe 220 (like many middle eastern places) is open quite late - at least midnight. Service is very friendly. However, I've eaten a lot of the menu, and most of the food is underspiced. Now, I only order the chicken kebab (wrap or plate), which is always perfectly cooked and juicy. This is probably the healthiest open on university ave after 10pm.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

MT
“where's the flavor?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2013

I love Mediterranean food. Unfortunately, I did not love the Chicken gyro salad at Cafe 220. It was one of the most disappointing meals I've had in a long time. The chicken pieces were hard and dry and almost flavorless: I doused them in the hot sauce on the table to try to make them more moist and give them some taste. The salad was fine, but I wasn't sure that some of the tomatoes were supposed to be green (?) and the dressing was bland. Mediterranean food should NOT be bland! Service was quick.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
“Tasty and generous kebabs served by real Turks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

Now, as a native European I know that kebab shops can come in all varieties. Sadly in London they are mostly late-night holes-in-the-walls where the meat is greasy, the air is boozy, and the service is surly. So, you can imagine my surprise when I walked into Café 220; a well-appointed café style dining hall with a central cooking plate where you can watch the meat being sliced and fried mmmm. This place is probably as authentically Turkish as it comes: I often spot groups of young Turks (wokka wokka) sipping apple tea or salep (and where else can you get salep in California?). It's an informal place, great for a bite to eat if you just want to relax, or you're too tired to cook and you don't want to go anywhere too pretentious.

While you're waiting for your order, the owner might just give you a small cup of apple tea to keep,you happy - the owner is fantastic. Tell him 'Merhaba' and he'll be over the moon.

I strongly recommend the Alexander kebab - to me all the other kebabs are just different combinations of meat and bread (sorry...) but the Alexander kebab is slathered in tasty yoghurt and tomato sauce. Delicious. Follow it down with a honey-drizzled baklava.

Fair Oaks, California
“Lunch for two for $20 plus free parking and a bustling street view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

Next time, I'm bringing tupperware so I can bring dessert home (three types of pastries). I was at Stanford for business, was starving afterwards so we stopped at Cafe 220 (lots of little places on University) and the owner was so sweet greeting us. You order at the counter, you can see salads, other cold dishes, desserts, and there's a huge menu. He got chicken shish kebab wrap, I got falafel. SO GOOD! Two wraps, two drinks, tip = $20. The falafel were homemade, perfect, there were potatoes inside the wrap and veggies. There's hot sauce on the tables. I love the place so much!

• Visited February 2013