“A gourmet Mcdonalds”

Dining options: Breakfast
Palo Alto, California
“A gourmet Mcdonalds”
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Not much to say other than VERY EXPENSIVE for what it is... It's such a pity because you can tell it's good quality and fresh food, but the way it is made and mixed with other stuff just spoils it all. I don't know why the chef does that to his food, it's almost an offense to quality cuisine.

* the appetizers were good
* the Entrées (I had pan roasted duck breast with pomegranate chili sauce, and my boyfriend took the pumpkin ravioli, smoked bacon brown butter sauce) were just a mess. We felt like we were eating at some kind of gourmet mcdonalds. My duck was just drowned by this really sugary sauce, which is a pity because you could tell the duck was good, but the sauce just messed it all up. The taste ended up being some kind of ultra sugary awfulness. I wasn't even able to finish my dish.
I tasted my boyfriend's ravioli's and basically same "gourmet mcdonald's" feeling: what were all these weird sugary / greasy tastes that had nothing to do with one another doing combined in the same plate?
The food is not refined, it's not sophisticated at all. It's a mix of tastes that don't blend well. We were expecting better from this kind of restaurant.
The service, on the other hand, was very good.

Collingwood, Canada
“Energetic, fun and delicious!”
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We met Mike and Jenny (owners) in Whistler and decided to pay a visit to their restaurant. Crowds of people outside but their staff were experts at getting people through and we had fun people watching as we waited the 30 minutes (I noted that a family waiting were brought a scone to keep them happy while they waited - nice touch). The staff were friendly, skilled and fast..... We both had eggs benedict (smoked salmon and regular) and they were excellent and accompanied by a home-made biscuit and wonderful potatoes. Would definitely return ourselves, recommend to family and friends and plan to visit their main restaurant for an evening meal when we return to the SF area. Highly recommended.....

Los Altos, California
“Cheers with a better menu”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Love this neighborhood bar and restaurant. We are always welcomed like old friends at this hip, warm and friendly spot. The upscale menu changes regularly and always includes gluten free options for my finicky palate . See you there soon.

San Jose, California, United States
“Yummy Weekend brunch”
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

We drive up from San Jose at least two Saturdays a month to have brunch here after a workout. It took a while for the staff to get to know us, but we now feel like regulars. Wide variety of brunch type food, along with some pasta, sandwiches and salads. Whatever the special pancake is, get it. I had macadamia pancakes yesterday and they were terrific. All of the eggs Benedict's are quite good.

They don't take reservations, so you may have to wait a but, but it is always worth. They have some excellent servers, and the host is charming.

Visited July 2013
San Diego
“See reviews for St. Michael's Alley on Homer Avenue”
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Your should go to Tripadvisor reviews for "St. Michael's Alley 140 Homer Avenue, Palo Alto, CA 94301". St. Michael's Alley has two locations, two blocks apart. This page's Emerson location is for the Annex, where only weekend brunch is served. The location on Homer is for lunch and dinner. Almost all the reviews for St. Michael's Alley are on the other site and include reviews for both locations.

I hope you find this re-direct helpful.

At present, the link for the other reviews is "http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g32849-d469010-Reviews-St_Michael_s_Alley-Palo_Alto_California.html".

My rating of Average is for the weekend brunch, more fully described on the other (Homer Ave) page.

• Visited June 2013