“Like it!”

Good for: Child-friendly
Sao Paulo, SP
“Like it!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

I've been twice and had great meals! The dumplings are lovely and food is very fresh. The price is fair (30 bucks for 2 people is not bad at all - 2 portions of dumplings, sodas and a main course to share), but the service could be better (though is not rude). Like it!

• Visited February 2014

San Francisco, California
“Excellent food, Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

I live in the neighbourhood and it amazes me that downtown Palo Alto has very poor restaurant options. I finally went to visit Steam, and I must say that the food was excellent. We ordered Sweet and Sour soup which was the best I have ever had, delicious and spicy. We also ordered the Tofu Seafood dish with rice on the side and it was one of the tastiest dishes ever.

The only reason I give it a 4 star, is the service. Mind you everyone was friendly and the service itself was excellent, but from what I could tell, you don't have an assigned waiter. You get attended to but different people. So when we had a question or something, we had no idea who to flag.

i will difinitely go back and highly recommend this place. The prices were very reasonable too.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank MehranX
San Francisco, California
“Tasty, informal dim sum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

Steam does a nice job for more casual dim sum. Service left something to be desired (namely, there hardly was any). But the food was very good - we loved the steamed BBQ pork buns, pork dumplings, and shui mai, and the vegetarian pea shoot dumplings were pretty good. Be prepared to wait for your food at busy lunchtime.

• Visited December 2013
Palo Alto, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not Friendly or Accommodating for the Elderly or Handicapped.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2013

Steam is one of my mother’s favorite restraints and we visit at least twice each week. We’re always careful to avoid the busy hours and dine at late lunch or early dinner when business is minimal and the restaurant largely empty. At 84 years of age my mother has difficulty walking and standing any length of time is painful.

On December 29th at a little after 4 pm we arrived to find only a few tables occupied. We seated ourselves at one of two tables beside the sidewalk where my mom loves to sit. The second table remained unoccupied for the length of our visit.

After we finished dining I walked up to the cash register to pay leaving a five dollar tip for a 23 dollar bill. The restaurant was 80% empty. The waiter gave me a smug little smile and said, “No offense but next time you come wait to be seated. We might have needed that table for someone else.”

I understood all to well. Steam wants to cater to a young and attractive crowd, the sort of people you see pictured in restaurant advertisements and travel magazines. They’ll serve people like my mom but they’d prefer to do so in the back of the restaurant where they’re not quite so visible. I was hurt.

Gordon Reade

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Gordon R
SF Bay Area
“Super Steam”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

What a hopping spot! This place is nonstop and has a great buzz. Located right on University Avenue, it's convenient. As for the eats, everything we ordered tasted fresh and fabulous. The price was somewhat reasonable for two - approx. $75 for five dishes plus rice and two glasses of wine each. The seating is a bit crowded and the noise level is pretty high - but, on a Friday night, it's definitely a go-to spot. Eat up - you won't be hungry again for awhile!

Visited October 2013