“Epiphany is an Awakening!”

Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 May 2014

In the heart of Palo Alto, close to Stanford, yet at the same time a cocooning hotel room that makes one think of weekends at Granma's though in a much more comfortable context.. It is as if the shadowy fuzzy images of wallpaper birds come to life at sunrise and sunset with borrowed birdsong from the real world. The rustic wood panelling and shadowy fuzzy tree images on the carpet transport one to the country and yet when the double glazed balcony doors are open Palo Alto beckons with its cacophony of offerings. The hotel staff live up to the joie de vivre label and everything is made easy for the traveller. Sitting at breakfast warmed by overhead heaters watching the world go by on Hamilton is a perfect way to start the day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Peripateticce
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Peripateticce,

I very much enjoyed reading your review - thank you so much for taking the time. I'm glad you liked our downtown location as well as the decor. It's really a great privilege to have such a great location in our fantastic town!

650 666-3330

Reviewed 12 May 2014

Well located, beautifully designed and fitted. Extremely comfortable and excellent service. The breakfast menu was poor but there are plenty of options over the road. It takes over from the Garden Court!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael F
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Dear Michael F,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor! We very much appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I welcomed your comments regarding our breakfast selection.

I look forward to welcome you back to the Epiphany Hotel very soon!

Reviewed 8 May 2014

We spent a night in May '14 at the Epiphany for our anniversary. The rooms are modern yet warm. Beds were comfortable, shower was excellent and we liked the espresso maker. The service was wonderful - inviting and thorough. I've always enjoyed JDV hotels and this one lived up to their standards.

Room Tip: Not sure if it is necessary to pay for an upper floor room as the view is of the roof of the buildin...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank travelfan26
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Dear travelfan26,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at the Epiphany Hotel. We very much appreciate your feedback and are glad to hear you enjoyed your stay.

I truly hope to welcome you back to the Epiphany Hotel in the very near future!

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Initially, I was drawn to the Epiphany because my standard hotel in Palo Alto was sold out. For years I've been a fan of Chip Conley, the founder and former manager of Joie de Vivre, so I decided to test out the new property.

Although I knew it would be nice, I didn't expect the amazing 24 hours of unparalleled service that I got. Adam, the bellman, was amazing! He found out that I was relocating to the area and immediately made me feel at home. He and the front desk staff purchased me a house-warming present and helped me haul my luggage .5 miles on a dolly in order to get to my new apartment. Unbelievable!

As someone who travels regularly for business and pleasure, I can honestly say I've never gotten the level of experience that I received during my stay at the Epiphany.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank deirdrewalsh
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Dear Deirdre Walsh,

Welcome to Palo Alto! I'm so glad to hear that we were able to help with your move. We do know that moving to a new area can be stressful. I will make sure to share your very nice comments with Adam and the entire team.

Many thanks for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor. I hope we will see you often at our Restaurant Lure + Till or indeed at our Hotel if you need a 'staycation"

Reviewed 1 May 2014

It was luck that this hotel had opened right before we needed to be be in Palo Alto for a week. The staff are beyond courteous, considerate, and caring. Too many wonderful people to name, but a couple helpful employees were Joe and Ralph. From check-in to check-out everyone was sincerely kind and I was actually sad to leave! Our father was at Standford for surgery to remove lung cancer...the hotel sent flowers to our room. We wouldn't have had that same compassion at the The Sheraton down the street so I feel fortunate we stayed at The Epiphany. Also, the rooms are clean and spacious with a modern feel. Our Junior Suite was perfect with a separated living area and worth the extra cost for space. We checked into a 5 star hotel in Scottsdale the following week and the service couldn't compare to the Epiphany! This has to be the best hotel in Palo Alto due to service, quality of room and location!

Room Tip: Pick a Junior Suite on a high floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2014

Dear firstreview931,

Thank you so much for taking the time and write a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at the Epiphany Hotel. I will make sure to share your positive feedback with Ralph, Joe and the entire team. I'm glad we were able to make your stay as seamless as possible due to the difficult circumstances of your visit.

Again, thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

This hotel has only been open about 5 weeks. GREAT service, GREAT location and GREAT beds. The staff was extremely friendly and very helpful. The rooms were modern and very well decorated and appointed, all the way to the upscale snacks and in-room espresso machine. Very cool vibe. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Footballginger
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Dear Footballginger,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor - we very much appreciate feedback from our Guests. Glad you liked our Illy Espresso maker, aren't these just great?

Looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future!

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed at. It's very new and in good clean condition. My room was very spacious.

Couple issues I had with the room and the hotel:

First, I hate LEDs and light sources in my bedroom. I can't sleep when there's bright lights flashing in my face. The cable box for the TV has a very bright purple LED that lights up the entire wall, but it's behind wooden slats and there's no way to get at it or even to unplug it. It took a lot of effort to get it off of its velcro mount and pull it towards the side where I could put something to block the light.

There's an espresso machine in the room that, for whatever reason, has a very bright white LED that turns on and off ever few seconds and lights up the entire hallway. I wasn't able to cover it up because the light is build into some kind of glass surface. I had to pull the mini-fridge out of the cabinet to get at the power plug and then I unplugged it.

During the second night of my stay, I was awoken at 12:01am by an extremely loud alarm clock. I pushed every button and switch on it to try to get it to stop but there's no way I can see to silence it. I had to unplug it. The alarm clock didn't go off during the first night, so that means whoever cleaned the room turned it on. Not cool.

The room descriptions were all the same so I when I booked the room, I couldn't tell which part of the hotel I would be in. I didn't choose wisely as I was given a room with a terrible view of the top of some adjacent building.

The hotel only has valet parking and it's difficult to access the drop-off area. I had to circle the hotel 3 times before figuring out which combinations of streets I needed to take to get onto the same side of the road as the hotel. By the way, they charge $28 a day for valet parking.

They also charge a series of other taxes (per day) such as:
$35.88 City Occupancy Tax
$0.19 California Tourism Assessment (Why do I need to pay this while on business travel?)
$0.20 TBID - San Mateo County Fee (Palo Alto is not in San Mateo County)

The hotel restaurant is a total disaster. Just avoid it - there's tons of better and more affordable restaurants within walking distance.

The hotel room is stocked full of pricey food and drinks. Don't eat or drink them. $5 for a bottle of water or $8 for a can of cashews when there's a Walgreens and CVS within walking distance that sell the same stuff for 1/10 the price.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank JS1231
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at Nobu Hotel, Epiphany Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Dear JS1231,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Epiphany Hotel. I'm excited to hear that you think you stayed at one of the best hotels so far! Your thorough feedback is indeed very much appreciated and gives us the opportunity to improve in several areas and address the issues you bring up. The coffeemaker does have an on/off switch but it's so hidden away behind the machine that we will add additional signage as well as training for the staff to make sure it's turned off at all times.

The taxation is regulated by the City and out of our control. You are correct that Palo Alto is located in Santa Clara County but the City is a member of the San Mateo Convention and Visitors bureau - as there is no counterpart in Santa Clara County!

I'm very concerned about your comments regarding the restaurant. I believe our Restaurant Lure+Till is a great addition to the neighborhood but obviously we failed to impress you. I would love to hear what went wrong during your visit. Feel free to call or email me at the below contact info.

Again, thank you so much for delivering such valuable feedback and I do hope to welcome you back to the Epiphany very soon!