“Great New Hotel in Palo Alto” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Horseshoe Bay, Texas, United States
“Great New Hotel in Palo Alto”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights while visiting our son and his family. Nice rooms and great service. Great location. Did not get a chance to try restaurant. It would have been a great place for a longer stay. We will be back.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

LorenzMaurer, General Manager at The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Joe H,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We very much appreciate your feedback and I will make sure to share your kind words with the entire staff.

I'm looking forward to welcome you back to the Epiphany Hotel in the very near future!

lmaurer@jdvhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just returned in Europe after 2 weeks at the Epiphany.
If you have to spend 2 weeks away from home for business, staying all the time in the same hotel it can really become very boring, believe me. So I think it's fair to say I gave the Epiphany a good stress test.

The first great thing about the hotel is the design. You can tell they put a lot of thought into it. There are many different original design details everywhere in the hotel, especially with the lighting, which helps set the tone. The colors and wallpaper used in the rooms also help a lot to never get the feeling of a dark or cramped room. Combine this with a very quiet room and a comfortable bed and every night it's a good nights rest.

The bar and restaurant also help to keep the Epiphany very lively. Also here they have studied things well. Because since the bar and restaurant are facing the street and highly visible it changes very much the feel and vibe of the hotel. Instead of the usual hotels with a revolving door leading to a silent lobby and a deserted bar and not visible restaurant at the Epiphany instead there is a constant coming and going of people from the early afternoon until late at night. Pretty clear that the bar is quite popular in Palo Alto. And no, this does not mean any problems with noise.

And then there is the staff and management. A young, experienced, management with attention to detail. And all the staff, from front desk to bar/restaurant to valet service are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Christiaan R
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Christiaan R,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. I'm glad to hear you had a great two week stay with us. I will make sure to share your kind words with the entire team and do hope to be able to welcome you back to the Epiphany in the very near future!

Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

I had a nice stay at this hotel. The room was quiet and very comfortable. Everything was stylish. Perfect location. Restaurant and bar delicious and fun. The majority of people working there are lovely - solicitous and charming. I was planing to give this hotel 4.5 stars, with my only two small issues being that the light was poor in the bathroom, making it difficult to apply makeup; and since there is only one elevator it could be slow. However, the rest of the experience was stellar.

I had a 6:30 am flight out of town so I asked the valet the evening before to have my car ready at 4:45 am. No problem! I was told. We will write that down! I asked, are you sure I should not text just in case? No problem, we are writing it down this minute! Don't worry! Big, convincing smiles from the evening valet guys.

The next morning I get down to the front desk at 4:40 am and look outside. There is a couple making out up against the wall - that was awkward, but no car. I ask the person at the front desk where the valet might be, could they be getting my car? The front desk clerk says nothing but scurries into the restaurant. A man comes out, in no apparent rush, scrolling through the texts on his phone. Looks up at me and asks me to give him a minute. I wait. He keeps scrolling. After a minute of this I point out I need to get to the airport, can someone get my car? Apparently not worried, the valet keeps scrolling through his text messages. The disheveled woman who had been part of the couple in the romantic clutch outside skulks up the stairs to her room. I continue to wait. The valet finally looks up and says, "Its not here." Trying to keep my cool, I pointed out I need my car ASAP. He offers to run and get it as it will only take a few minutes, his car is right out front. I said,"I NEED TO CATCH A FLIGHT." Then I took a deep breath and asked him to drive me to where my car was.

I think that woke him up to the fact I was in a rush. The valet then pulled it together and got me to my car. I tipped him - my car not being ready was not his fault - and went on my way. I made my flight, thankfully, but only just at the last minute and it was an unnecessarily stressful way to start the day.

Based on this experience I took off two stars. I appreciate the great service all of the people there gave me. I share this review so the hotel management realize that charming waiters are delightful, but the details matter. If your valet says they are writing down I need my car at a certain time please follow through. Getting that right means more to me than someone turning up at my door unrequested asking me if I was comfortable.

Would I stay here again? Not sure. It was lovely but very expensive, and my experience this morning was frustrating and unprofessional. If I do stay, I will not be renting a car and using the valet.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank MarlenaFernandez
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Marlena,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. First off I would like to apologize for the mix up with your car. I certainly understand how stressful this is at 5 am in the morning. I'm glad to hear you were able to make the flight. Your feedback will help us to make sure this will never happen again. We were able to make a few modifications to our overnight Valet process thanks to your comments.

I would also like to thank you for the nice words regarding your hotel stay. I will make sure to share this feedback with my team.

I know our Assistant General Manager reached out to you directly, but please let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with.

New York, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

We stayed for one brief night at the Epiphany about a week after it opened as we needed somewhere not too far from SFO after a late arrival and had a lovely experience. The staff was extremely pleasant and having been open only for a week, they seemed to have worked out a majority of the kinks. The rooms were very pleasantly and comfortably appointed - very modern, so lots of great technology, plugs in all the right places, etc. Linens were nice and there are Malin & Goetz products in the bathrooms, along with a Nespresso machine. We also had an opportunity to order room service, which was good (not great) and also got to spend time at the fitness facility that hotel guests have access to, which is a real health club across the street (i.e., bigger than a typical hotel gym). I had asked for extra pillows in advance because I was 6 months pregnant at the time, and I arrived to a very kind note congratulating me, macarons, and a tub of Burt's Bees body butter! Clearly above and beyond. I hope that this hotel is able to maintain its quaint nature as it becomes more popular and widely used as I would certainly stay there again in a heartbeat assuming the price is still right.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amznyc
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear amznyc,

Thank you so much for being one of our first guests and for taking the time to write about it on Tripadvisor! I will make sure to share your feedback with the entire staff and do hope to welcome you back to the Epiphany in the very near future!

Best regards,

Lawrence, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights and never heard a sound from any adjoining rooms. The room has a wonderful bed that made it hard to leave. The location is excellent and the decor is very cool. We didn't try the restaurant attached, but it was always busy so it must be good. What a nice hotel!

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank nobellhops
Dear Nobellhops,

Thank you for taking the time to post on Tripadvisor. We very much appreciate your feedback. Great to hear that our hotel is very quiet while being in the middle of downtown. We invested in a great sliding door/window system which gives you access to our balconies while at the same time cancel out noise from the outside.

Looking forward to welcome you back in the very near future and I'm hoping you will have a chance to try our Restaurant Lure + Till.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

In the heart of Palo Alto, close to Stanford, yet at the same time a cocooning hotel room that makes one think of weekends at Granma's though in a much more comfortable context.. It is as if the shadowy fuzzy images of wallpaper birds come to life at sunrise and sunset with borrowed birdsong from the real world. The rustic wood panelling and shadowy fuzzy tree images on the carpet transport one to the country and yet when the double glazed balcony doors are open Palo Alto beckons with its cacophony of offerings. The hotel staff live up to the joie de vivre label and everything is made easy for the traveller. Sitting at breakfast warmed by overhead heaters watching the world go by on Hamilton is a perfect way to start the day.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Peripateticce
Dear Peripateticce,

I very much enjoyed reading your review - thank you so much for taking the time. I'm glad you liked our downtown location as well as the decor. It's really a great privilege to have such a great location in our fantastic town!

650 666-3330
Wells, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Well located, beautifully designed and fitted. Extremely comfortable and excellent service. The breakfast menu was poor but there are plenty of options over the road. It takes over from the Garden Court!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Michael F
LorenzMaurer, General Manager at The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Michael F,

Thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor! We very much appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I welcomed your comments regarding our breakfast selection.

I look forward to welcome you back to the Epiphany Hotel very soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
Creekside Inn
Creekside Inn
#7 of 27 in Palo Alto
Homewood Suites by Hilton Palo Alto

Been to The Epiphany, a Joie de Vivre Hotel? Share your experiences!