“A bit pricey, but not that much”
Review of Max's Opera Cafe

Max's Opera Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Max's Opera Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #65 of 367 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: US$20 - US$35
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sandhill Rd
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Five of us came here for lunch and ordered the reuben, pastrami and corn beef sandwiches. Although $ 2 or $3 more expensive than their Burlingame location, the sandwiches here were much better tasting. The crab melt was also good. Speaking of prices, I guess you would expect them to be more, considering the location of the restaurant being in the Stanford Shopping center. I had the pastrami on rye, and I really liked it. Service was also very good.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Planned a grad dinner party from out of town days in advance only to arrive to find they had reserved two separate tables for our party of 16. Who thinks this is acceptable? They were totally unsympathetic or apologetic. It didn't take a genius to see if they had reserved two tables end to end opposed to side by side it would have easily accommodated our guests, but they had already sat other patrons there and the restaurant wasn't even full! Following, we had to ask for water for one table and silverware for the other. I was embarrassed to have brought guests to this location.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

There's something for everyone here! You must start with the potato latkes! Crave worthy! The corned beef and pastrami are very good. Didn't try the desserts but they looked wonderful!

Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Nice place to sit outside, green and sunny, good food, nice service. The strawberry cake was far too big. Enough for 3 I would say.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

If you are ever at the Stanford Shopping Center there are a few places to choose to have lunch, but we always choose Max's because there is ample seating, service is good, prices are reasonable and the menu is large so that you can find something you can/want to eat on it. Last week I met a cousin from NY who is a very picky eater. I ordered the patty melt which was good, and she ordered a lunch special which gave her two bowls of soup and a kale salad. Neither of us ordered a drink and I took a huge macaroon home for hubby. The macaroon is expensive, but well worth the price weighing in at 14.6 ounces! We weighed it because we couldn't believe how heavy and dense it was. Anyway, the bill was a bit over 30 and with the tip around $35 which I think for a nice setting, good service and good food it is worth it. I think that's about average for a good lunch these days anyway, at least in the SF Bay Area.