“Tasteful appetizer”
Review of MacArthur Park

MacArthur Park
Reserve with OpenTable
MacArthur Park is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #88 of 360 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: US$15 - US$40
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: El Camino; adjacent to Palo Alto Train Station
Transit: Located right next to the Cal Train Station and Bus Stop.
Description: WELCOME TO MACARTHUR PARK - An American BBQ Experience. Ribs and a whole lot more. MacArthur Park Restaurant, named after a Jimmy Webb song, has been a neighborhood favorite in Palo Alto since it first opened in 1981. Today's MacArthur Park has been reclaimed by its original owner and its original chef with a revitalized menu and a recent renovation of this historical landmark Julia Morgan building. Historical landmarks are permanent sign posts to a culture's community. This landmark has served the community in many incarnations: as a 1918 Hostess House for visiting families of World War I servicemen, as a community center, a veterans hall and now, once again, as the new MacArthur Park. Home is a place you love, and MacArthur Park is pleased to welcome the community back home with new dishes, old favorites and the warmest of hospitality.
Venice, Italy
“Tasteful appetizer”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My company decided to have a dinner with out clients in this restaurant. The interior was very good looking, I have does not read the history of the building but it is old style spacey, I liked the atmosphere of the place. While we were waiting for people to come, they served several appetizers, we Italian "bruschetta" was some of the best I have ever tasted, the canapes were good too.The sautee lamb was delicious and I took some of them, but I do not like the stuffed mushroom. After the appetizer I have order a Cesar salad, that was very good and a salmon. The salmon could have been a bit warmer, but it was good. As a dessert I ordered the creme brule, and it was good. The waiters were very gentle, but the could have been more professional.

• Visited May 2014

“I'll try to be as nice as the staff!”
Reviewed 8 May 2014

My mother is familiar with this place from years and years ago, so we went for the prime rib special on Fridays and Sundays. She remembered it as a great date night place, a little dressy.
The night we went, there were two other tables being used. The place was nice! Fresh flowers, old charm, and the staff were just amazing. Friendly and helpful.
French onion soup and bread was great. Mom had the steak and loved it. My fiancé and I had the prime rib, potato and broccolini. Prime rib was great, but cold. I ate it happily anyway with the au jus, and horseradish. Halfway through the horseradish, my fiancé and I agreed it was mostly sour cream. The potato was so cold, the butter didn't melt. It had obviously been in a warmer for a long time. The broccolini was not fully cooked, also cold. Mom loved the cheesecake dessert, I had brownie with ice cream, the brownie was stale.
I really hope this was just a bad experience based on a slow night. But if it was such a slow night, I'd have preferred them not offer the stuff that was cold/old. Or, it would've been worth waiting longer for fresh food. The bill was not cheap.
I prefer to leave positive reviews, but my only positive note for this place was the staff.

• Visited May 2014
Issaquah, Washington
“Been going to MacArthur Park for years.”
Reviewed 6 May 2014

It is a little expensive but the food is great. It has been a "go to" place for dinner for the last 30 years for us.

Visited April 2014
Redwood City, California
“Always a good choice”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Went to dinner with my wife and was pleased with our choice. The hostess sat us immediately and the server (Joseph) was quickly attentive. Our wine and drink order were returned to the table promptly. The prime rib was excellent. Had to ask for horseradish but otherwise runner was good. Food was cooked as ordered, the right temperature to eat at the table, and delicious. Was a bit disappointed by the mud pie. Very small portion ( the coffee grounds inside the ice cream was a nice touch) and no whipped cream. Other places are better. Have eaten here many times before and always pleased. Parking on Sunday night was very easy. Will come back soon.

• Visited April 2014
San Francisco
“Cancelled Our Reservation--Unacceptable”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

A group of 6 were scheduled to have dinner at MacArthur Park--a reservation made weeks in advance for a Wednesday night, February 19. Just a day or two before, the restaurant notified one member of our group that "a mistake had been made" and the restaurant would be closed that night for a private event. You're telling me a mistake had been made--the mistake was deciding to go there in the first place. With at best mediocre food (from previous visits) at an inflated price, and with clearly hideously customer-unfriendly service, MacArthur Park won't need to worry about cancelling me or any of my colleagues in the future--we won't be going. And neither should you.

• Visited February 2014