“Well Located, and Pretty Property!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Berbeda Place

Berbeda Place
Berbeda Place
Ranked #24 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Dallas, Texas, United States
“Well Located, and Pretty Property!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

I was pleasantly surprised with my booking at this hotel, as the rooms and amenities were perfectly clean, well decorated and very up-to-date! It was a great value for the price. Our room was very clean, with great decor and a lot of room to store our things. Everyone was very friendly, and perfectly accommodating to all of our requests. Next time I'm in the area, I will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: They have some really fun room types, so be sure to look at all of your options!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Greeley, CO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2011

I booked 4 nights through Amex Business Travel, as it was the only hotel available, and the cancellation provisions were 1 nights R&T if cancelled within 2 days of arrival. I checked in, and went to my room. The sheets on the bed was pulled back and I found a USED CONDOM on the bed (yeach). I went to the front desk and "Mike" the desk clerk told me that housekeeping had left and that was the only room available. I asked for a refund of the other 3 nights and Mike told me that since I checked in, I was responsible for all 4 nights. I've stayed at close to 100 hotels over the years and never heard of such a thing.

I called Amex travel, and they tried talking to Mike, and they told me that he was "belligerent". I had them make me a reservation for those 4 nights at the Residence Inn, which had a last minute cancellation. I surrendered my key to Mike, and the total time I was at the hotel was less than 1 hour.

After I found that I had, indeed, been charged for 4 nights R&T, I escalated this with Amex Travel, and they tried calling the owner a few times and always got "Mike" who told them:

1. The owner was in India and would not be back for several months.
2. That I was not entitled to a refund as I had stayed one night, which Amex Travel told him was not correct as THEY had made the reservation at Residence Inn for the same 4 days.

After a few months of trying to work things out, I filed a merchant dispute, but lost the dispute because I had checked in, even though I was there for less than an hour, and that they cannot refund based on the "quality of service provided".

I have travelled to over 40 states and 14 countries, and this was THE WORSE customer service I have ever received and I ended up paying $380.80 (4 nights room and tax) which I can't, of course, expense, because I refused to sleep in a bed with a used condom in it.

Neither I nor Amex Travel were ever actually able to speak to the owner, and Mike was our single point of contact.

I understand that there will be problems, but what is telling is what a company does to make it right. Mike made no effort to make it right, or even cooperate or compromise. I was willing to pay one night R&T, but he charged me for all 4 nights, though I was at the hotel less than an hour.

Mike told me "What do you expect for $85"? I said "a room where the bed doesn't have a used condom in it"!

Room Tip: Inspect the room BEFORE you check in, but even if you do that, they may tell you that the room is &q...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Robert S

Travellers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

I like to stay in "dives," but the room I had at this place was disgusting. It was the only hotel room I could find on the entire peninsula because the Stanford freshmen had arrived with their parents. The door wouldn't latch, let alone lock. I had to push the desk up against the door. All the furniture was 40 years old and broken. The TV was broken. The shower stall was moldy. The carpet was peeling away from the wall corners; it was dirty. The room smelled bad. The bed looked clean but, given the state of the rest of the unit, I was scared to death of bedbugs and only managed a few hours of sleep. If I hadn't already driven up and down the peninsula, called scores of hotels and had them call other hotels large and small, I would have left to find another room. Maybe they have other rooms which are in good repair and kept clean, but this was the only room they had and it was horrible. If I could give it a less-than-zero rating, I would.

Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank mezzochick
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2011

We stayed at the Palo Alto Lodge for an event in April 2011. Initially when we pulled up we were concerned about the accomodations based on the look and layout of the building. I have to say don't judge a book by its cover has never been so true. The rooms where perfect and clean with large king size beds that had clean sheets and comforters. Nice big flat screen tv with remote. Plenty of storage for your things. And very quiet despite being right off the highway. The room had hair dryer, coffee maker, small refrigerator and ironing board.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank fayjc1
Arras, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

quiet, well located, simple, enough for sleeping, meals possible at proximity, car parking

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Cathedral City, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2011

If you are looking for a reliable place to return to when traveling regularly for business to Palo Alto then you may like the Palo Alto Lodge. For me it is less like staying in a hotel and more like staying in a room in someone's home. I can often request and get the same room. It has the original motor lodge feel, the price is good for Palo Alto, and the rooms are always very clean.

Last fall while in Palo Alto for Homecoming and stayed in the Crystal Room shown on on the website. Although it is the same size as the rest of the rooms, the bathroom has been totally renovated, and has a very unique tile work and shower. Furniture and flat screen are all new. I am looking forward to staying there again! A great experience.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2010

The staff are friendly and the rooms have always been clean. The lodge is right next to El Camino Real (a busy street), but I have never had problems with noise/sleeping. The rooms aren't fancy, but they are comfortable. I've never had trouble with the wireless signal, which is an improvement over most of the other places I've tried in Palo Alto. Definitely the best value in the area.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business