“Good Thai food, medium size portions” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Thaiphoon

Thaiphoon
Reserve with OpenTable
Thaiphoon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #183 of 355 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Asian, Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: University Ave
Transit: VTA 35, Caltrain
Newton, Massachusetts
“Good Thai food, medium size portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013 via mobile

I diverged from my usual Pad Thai and got a beef dish. It was very good, although not very large-- many Thai places have portions that can serve two, and I easily finished my order. The appetizers were also very good, especially the calamari.

• Visited October 2013

Palo Alto, California, United States
“OK Thai food, good prices”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have yet to find a really good Thai restaurant in Palo Alto. This place is OK, nothing special, but the prices are not bad.

Visited April 2013
Palo Alto, California
“Packed to the gills. Why?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

This restaurant, like so many Palo Alto restaurants, really doesn't have to try that hard to draw the crowds. As such, it's easy to feel that there's not a great deal of effort here. Thaiphoon is busy, with staff who seem constantly surprised and somewhat disorganised. We had booked a table, but when we got there, the table wasn't ready, and we waited half-an-hour, only to be (literally) pushed aside by a gang of male customers. We reminded the staff of our reservation, so they had the men vacate the table, but there was one chair too few for our party, and it just seemed such a shambles. We sat outside, despite the cold. Eventually, an additional chair was found. The food was just ok. I mean, it tasted fine. That's the best I can say. It was like a meal from a supermarket take-away. They forgot our rice, overcharged us, brought meals at disparate times... and so it goes. It's not a place I would readily return to, which makes me wonder who these crowds are that pack the place out, and spill into the street? Crazy Palo Alto!

• Visited May 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Good price value ratio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013 via mobile

I've eaten here twice since the new year. It is reasonably priced, so despite some small shortcomings you get what you pay for.

Their lychee martini is a nice way to start your meal. The starter courses of duck spring roll and prata roti are passable and not particularly exciting, but arrive quickly to satiate the hunger pangs. The shrimp mango salad can be be fiery spicy so be careful. I recommend the sole fish dish and the Aubergine and mushroom vegetable dish.

Service is quick.

Menlo Park, California
“some good spots”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2012

This place is nothing special. I had a friend who liked to go here, and I finally ate enough of the menu to find one dish I liked. My friend hates spice, and likes grilled, and would order the grilled chicken lunch special. I think I finally found the thai wide noodles, extra spicy. It's an OK little joint for lunch, reasonable prices on the lunch specials, nothing too fancy, which is rare in downtown palo alto. All the spices are really toned down so if you want something with actual kick, you have to be very stern with them.

• Visited May 2012