“There's a "Motel Row" Not Far From Stanford & This is in the Midst of it!”
Review of Creekside Inn

Ranked #6 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
California
“There's a "Motel Row" Not Far From Stanford & This is in the Midst of it!”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This section of El Camino Real has quite a few places to stay and they'd be described as being more like motels than hotels. By this I mean, you park more or less close to your room and access it directly from the outside. Larger rooms with sitting areas that have a couch, coffee table, balcony and television are available. The location is shady & open which was nice. Our room was cute, the beds though were squeaky and the room service was a surprise as we thought it above average for a regular or upscale (like this one) motel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Cambridge MA
Reviewed 31 August 2013

So, I get this at one of the last-minute site at an OK discount from the $329 price that was a little jaw-dropping, yes, but it's Palo Alto just when Stanford is starting up again and there aren't many rooms, so OK, it's better than the Comfort Inn I stayed in two weeks before in a roughly similar situation when there were no rooms.

Only it wasn't better. Back in the days, they had to build the motels on El Camino Real south of the Stanford property, and there were a lot of them, because even then, Stanford was a destination for people like Herbert Hoover. Some were quite pretty, even pleasant, like the old Rickey's. Some could have been lifted whole from any dusty desert town along Route 66 and plopped there.

This was one of the plops, fixed up to be "hip," but just about as hip as a music-sharing startup whose staff is all over 50. So there's a creekbed through the middle and a certain amount of paint on the outside. And on the inside? Well, it had been fixed up since the fifties, I admit it. It wasn't exactly a dump. But it wasn't exactly not a dump either. My test is the grout in the shower--that's right, shower, no bath at over $300 a night. If it's all the same color, then it's probably OK. And if it's not, then... Well, this one failed the test.

The other test I have for over-$300 hotel rooms is the plugs. I want some. That work. Outside the bathroom. Tough, I know. Back in 1985, you usually had to unplug the TV set to get your laptop plugged in. But this is a little bit later than 1985, I think. So there were some plugs that were supposed to be used by people. But the plugs in the laps seemed to have been put there by Microsoft, because the Apple plugs didn't fit in them. And the ones on the wall, well, when you plug in to them, the plug falls out again.

For $300. Criminy, I could have called my electrician and had him come over and paid him and then paid the motel what I thought it was worth and still had $50 left over.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Dear Guest,
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Creekside Inn. We are disappointed that we did not meet your expectations as we are constantly updating our facilities, from the landscaping to the rooms. I will be following up on your feedback with our staff to try to improve upon the guest experience and try to avoid any future issues of this kind. Again thank you for your candid feedback and hope that you had a successful visit to Palo Alto.

Wyncote, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I had stayed here pretty much very other week (I commute from Philadelphia) for two years. It had been good, but the rooms were average and I never felt valued even with stays there tide a month. So I moved on to the Stanford Terrace Inn, which met my needs for awhile but became overpriced and a bit strange in some ways. So I took another look at Creekside.

And I'm very glad I did. The management clearly recognizes repeat customers and also values new ones. I was made to feel welcome, and had a room that couldn't be beat. It was quiet, spacious and had much faster wifi speeds than the Stanford Terrace Inn. It's a ten-minute walk to California Avenue, and there is an onsite restaurant that will give free wine to Creekside guests.

I'm already booked here in three weeks and am looking forward to it. Glad to be back.

Room Tip: From a few years ago, I was less enamored with rooms in the D unit but most rooms are good regardles...
Green Features: A lot of green practices; the soap is missing the center portion as that is usually wasted. My only gripe was the lack of recycling bins in the room. At least I didn't find any.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Dear Guest,
We are so happy to read that we were able to be your home away from during your recent visit to the Palo Alto area. I am glad that you feel welcome at our hotel and that you enjoyed the room and the fast internet service offered complimentary in all our rooms. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again in 3 weeks!
Kind Regards,
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Good location, ample parking. My only complaint is the cost for what you get. Paying roughly $300 for one night didn't make sense once we saw the amenities. I will say, however, the front desk staff was very nice, friendly and helpful. Overall, a good place to stay but overpriced. Oh, go to Indo across the street for dinner/happy hour!!!

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We came to Palo Alto for our son's Part 2 of his wedding. (First Part in London the week before). Stayed here for 6 nights and it was everything we needed. Attached was Cibo Diner which was lovely but they couldn't quite understand that we liked real good strong coffee! By the 5th breakfast we got it! So nice for me too, to have an iron and ironing board in the room, plus on site there was a Laundry. As we were travelling for another 10 days it was a Godsend.

Room Tip: We overlooked the garden so that was just fine. It is an ideal place to stay for a touring holiday
Green Features: It should be adopted World Wide and the towels weren't changed everyday as in some hotels where they ask you to put them on the floor and STILL change them.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Nailsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Travelled over to Palo Alto from UK for Family wedding. Stayed 6 nights at the Creekside Inn and thoroughly satisfied. Large, clean and very comfortable room, really excellent staff who couldn't do enough for you. Easy parking and very convenient for Downtown. Good Cibo Restaurant forms part of the complex, with great breakfasts. Free desktop internet for guests.

Richard & Pam James, North Somerset, UK

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Mr. & Mrs. James,
We appreciate your feedback regarding your visit form the UK to attend the wedding in the Palo Alto area. We are glad that you found our staff to be helpful and attentive and our rooms to be comfortable, spacious and clean. I'm also pleased you enjoyed your experience at Cibo Restaurant, I will be sure to pass along your kind comments. Thank you for choosing the Creekside Inn!

Sincerely.
europe
Reviewed 18 August 2013

We opened the reception door to be greeted by friendliness and professionalism.

The staff = excellent.
Rooms = clean
Location = perfect
Value = excellent

Our experience says you can't go wrong by choosing this one.,

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 27 in Palo Alto
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Creekside Inn? Share your experiences!