“Creekside Inn Palo Alto - One of the best in the South Bay”

Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 12 March 2014

3400 El Camino Real, Palo Alto, CA
650-493-2411

We stayed in Palo Alto; down El Camino Real on the Left, going south in another place (My Lovely Partner's [MLP]) company paid the rent.) I was surplus so I got plenty of time to study the more attractive Hotel across the Boulevard. It was Creekside Inn; where I reserved a room some 30 days before the event.

Creekside Inn is on a large corner site, has two Clusters of rooms, one is 1970's vintage conventional 2 story design, the other is a later high rise structure connected to the rest by a pretty bridge over a nice Creek. There is a small restaurant away from the corner; a small convenience store and the office take up the rest of the site. The restaurant is pricey and we have never patronized it. We prefer he nearby "Fish Market" or smaller restaurants over in old town Palo Alto.

All of the common areas are lavishly landscaped and it is a joy at night. The first stay coincided with a large group of womens' volleyball teams who were in town for a tournament. The Atmosphere was exciting; lots of happy chat going on everywhere. The second time at Creekside was quieter but that did not detract from the beauty of the place.

We would go there often but it is well known and popular; usually sold out if Stanford has an event.

Rooms are neat and clean, parking onside is adequate, a limited continental breakfast is minimal.

Room Tip: Any floor above first in the 'tower' for privacy and tolerable street traffic. Nearly all un...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maurice M
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear Maurice M.,
Thank you for your kind comments. We enjoyed reading your very descriptive review of our hotel and I am glad that you liked our lush garden landscaping and that you found our rooms to be neat and clean. Thank you for visiting and we hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

very comfortable, great staff. Free wifi helps you stay connected and unworried. They receive packages for no additional cost and leave it in your room! they make you feel special and welcome.
rooms are a bit old, but clean, big and comfortable. totally recommend it.
it might get a bit loud, as you can hear the water running in other rooms, but it is no big deal.
it's location is perfect. you have a great restorant right next door, and many food options in walking distance.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and we are glad that our location was perfect for your visit to Palo Alto. Thank you for your comments about our onsite restaurant and our free WI-FI.
We appreciate that you took the time to tell us about your experience at the Creekside Inn and we look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 3 March 2014

I stayed overnight at the Creekside Inn. The staff, particularly Makiea, were very friendly and helpful. I have Parkinson's and they had a handicap room ready for me and let me check in early.

I slept very well that night - which is unusual for me when traveling!

The room was very clean and tidy - very nice! In the morning at the continental breakfast, I had some trouble walking, so Makiea brought food to me, and cleared away my trash. She also helped me when I came in to make sure my bill was clear. And she was most considerate in stowing my luggage after i checked out of the room.

It is a great being next door to a terrific deli.

Room Tip: My room was ground floor - be sure to check the sliding glass doors. Mine was unlocked!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank jeane c
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

Dear jeane c,
We are so happy that you enjoyed a restful night in your clean and tidy room during your overnight trip to the Palo Alto area and the Creekside Inn. Thank you for your nice comments about our attentive and helpful staff. It is our goal to ensure each and every guest has an exceptional service experience at the Creekside Inn. I'm also happy to hear you were able to take advantage of our fantastic onsite Deli, it's a favorite of locals and visitors alike! We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Visited Stanford and spent two nights at the Creekside Inn. Wifi was terrible, nothing the 2nd night. sort of ironic for a hotel in Palo Alto. Also my first morning a giant tour bus parked by my room running its engine like they like to do. I called the front desk and they said that almost never happens. not very useful for me!

Room Tip: don't stay in the front with the tour busses
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank PSII
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your comments and I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced with the tour bus. As a result of your concern, we will start asking the buses to park along the side of El Camino to prevent this issue from disrupting our guests in the future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I have also called our WI-FI operator to make sure they check our system; however, we have not seen any additional complaints as of late regarding our WI-FI connection. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance and thank you again for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback.

Reviewed 5 February 2014

The hotel is old but in a nice quiet setting. The rooms are updated and the wifi worked decently (but streaming was shaky). The main negative in my mind is there is no hotel restaurant. Cibo, which is next door, is pretty mediocre. And if you come in from a long day and want a quick cocktail you'll be disappointed. However given the limited choices next to Stanford this remains a good option.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Road_Fun_Fam
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,
We very much appreciate your comments from your recent stay at the Creekside Inn Hotel. I am glad that our complimentary Wi-FI fit your needs and that you appreciate our close proximity to Stanford University. We're sorry to hear that our onsite restaurant did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your business and we look forward to your next visit in Palo Alto.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

Stayed here for a week and this place grew on me after modest first impressions. The front desk staff were consistently welcoming, helpful and friendly, day after day, and the local shuttle was a big help. The room was clean, quiet and ok. As long as the prices stay reasonable, I'd return.

The associated restaurant really needs a face lift, even the hotel's offer of early evening wine coupons did not encourage my group to spend much time there, it is not that attractive (it was occasionally busy, however, so your opinion may differ).

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Michael_Wells
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Michael_Wells,
Thank you for staying at the Creekside Inn and for taking the time to comment on your experience. We are happy that you found our hotel and our staff to be consistently helpful, welcoming and friendly. I am pleased you were able to take advantage of our complimentary shuttle and that it was a big help to you during your stay. I am sorry that the restaurant was not to your liking, but I am pleased to inform you that the second part of our restaurant renovation should be completed by the end of the year. Thank you again for staying with us and we hope to have you as our guest again soon!

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Early in January, my daughter underwent brain surgery at Stanford Hospital. We looked up and down the El Camino Real highway, and there were many hotels to choose from. Ranging from the high priced Westin, to dozens of very, very low cost 1950's style motels. I used the reviews from Trip Advisor to narrow in on the Creekside Inn. After staying at the Creekside, then travelling up and down the road to and from the hospital for days, I'm so happy to have chosen the Creekside Inn.
First, It's actually beautiful and tranquil, with mature eucalyptus trees and a creek (dry during our 2014 drought) which meanders through the property, as you turn off the busy El Camino Real, and into the parking lot, it seems like you have left the urban environment.
Second: The staff at the front desk could not have been nicer. Just pleasant people at the Creekside. When they learned why we were staying there, they expressed their genuine concern for both our daughter and our family, and wished her well.
Third: a most interesting property - with a store/deli on site which is well stocked and full of locals from the business/medical community enjoying handmade artisan sandwhiches, an amazing selection of soda/beer/wines, and friendly staff in the deli as well. Then there is their attached restaurant Cibo, which we ate at on two different occasions.

The rooms in the 4 story tower looked to be recently renovated. Bedding excellent, good amenities - a small refrigerator of which we took advantage. Nice dressing area with mirror and a spotless and roomy bathroom/shower/toilet combo. Towels were new, fresh and thirsty. Not threadbare as you might expect in an Inn at this price range. The heater unit does indeed not have a thermostat per say. It's a "turn it to the desired heat, and turn on the fan" unit. Worked fine for us. Unusually hot and dry January 2014 meant we really didn't need it.

Entry into the tower is from the outside, via staircase or via the elevator. Elevator is small but very clean, new and well maintained. Operates smoothly. Entry into each floor is via your door key/card. Tower hallways lined with beautiful new hardwood flooring. Nice color scheme for hallways and rooms.

My daughter is now home recovering from her brain surgery with a very positive outcome. It is my sincere hope that I will never, EVER, have to return to the area for an overnight. Really. Never! However, in the case that I do return, the first place I'll book will be at the Creekside Inn. Thanks to the property owner and the so kind staff for making a difficult stay for us as pleasant as possible.

Room Tip: If in the tower, the higher you go the more quiet the street noise.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
CreeksideMGR, General Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Creekside Inn and we are so happy to hear that your daughter had a successful surgery at Stanford Hospital. We're pleased to read that you found our staff to be pleasant and accommodating during this difficult visit. Our staff prides themselves on providing every guest with an exceptional service experience and we thank you for your acknowledgement. We're glad you enjoyed the lush garden landscape surrounding the Creekside Inn as well as our clean and spacious accommodations. I am happy to read that you were able to take advantage of our many amenities including the in-room refrigerator and our onsite deli and restaurant. We hope that your daughter continues to be in good health and we gladly welcome the opportunity to accommodate your again in the future.