“Comfortable Hotel, but don't put more than three in a room!”

Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Ranked #5 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
GreenLeadersGold level
Hollywood, FL
“Comfortable Hotel, but don't put more than three in a room!”
Reviewed 22 June 2010

We are a family of six and we reserved what we were told would be a suite to sleep six people including a kitchen. Instead we were accommodated in a room with two double beds, a sleeper sofa in an open alcove, and a mini-fridge. The room is much too small for six people -- not even a partition to separate the sleeping area from the alcove.
To be honest, even if we were three or four to the room, it would be too small. The furnishings are comfortable but there is no drawer space (two drawers in total!) and the bathroom is tiny. Other than this, the hotel grounds are nice and the staff are very friendly and helpful. If we return as a party of two, we would stay there again, but not with our children or we would take 2 -3 rooms to accommodate six people!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank shimmiec

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
near San Francisco
Reviewed 6 May 2010

First stayed at the Creekside 30 years ago. Recently had the opportunity to stay there again and was pleasantly surprised that the peaceful and dignified quality that I remember was still present. The buildings are all circa 60's? but have been very carefully updated and maintained. The room was current and relevant in its feel and furnishings, and the retro heavily forested "garden" feel was beautifully kept with an abundance of bedding flowers and well-manicured landscaping.. All in all a comfortable and peaceful retreat in the heart of Palo Alto. And I felt that the room was a very good value. Creekside is a motor hotel, not a full-service establishment, but that is fine! An upscale experience for a third of what the Four Seasons asks. My only quibble was with the seemingly original bathroom door hinges, which have seen better days and squeaked loudly. You'd think that housekeeping would have noticed this long ago, and it was out of place with an otherwise sensitively updated room. But that's a minor point. Nice to see that the Creekside is still going strong!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Yuba City, CA
Reviewed 11 April 2010

My daughter and I chose the Creekside Inn for a Mother’s day getaway due to TripAdvisor reviews. As other reviewers have mentioned, the exterior of the hotel is pretty nondescript. I would have passed it by without a second glance if I hadn’t made reservations in advance. Speaking of reservations, go to the Creekside Inn’s own website at www.creekside-inn.com to make your reservations. We reserved our Deluxe King room on the Creekside Inn’s website at a rate that was $40 less than what Expedia and the others were offering.

As promised, the front desk staff (the manager himself) was extremely polite both to me and the gentleman who came in after me while I was checking in.

We planned to go on a Stanford tour immediately upon arrival. Our original idea was to use the hotel’s town car to get us to and from Stanford. I knew I’d be tired of driving after a three-hour trip to get here. Unfortunately, the desk manager said that the town car only runs until 5pm on weekends, and it must be reserved an hour in advance. I couldn’t guarantee that we’d be done with the Stanford tour by 5pm, so we had to drive ourselves. If the hotel is going to offer a town car service (which is a lovely idea, by the way), I’m perplexed as to why they wouldn’t offer it during the popular Saturday evening dining/entertainment hours.

Our guest room was pleasantly spacious, clean, and attractively furnished. The bed is comfy with lots of pillows. There’s a broad balcony outside. Straight on, the view from our room was mostly of the next building. If you go out on the patio and turn left, however, there was a nice-looking fountain and surrounding gardens. I’d probably quibble about the art with generic nature/pastoral scenes. They’re pleasant enough. However, it would have made more sense to have pictures of Stanford or something else unique to Palo Alto.

We appreciated the little refrigerator and the free wireless internet access. The laptop-sized safe in the closet was an especially thoughtful touch, since my daughter and I almost always travel with our laptops and typically worry about their security. The TV is in its own armoire, with thoughtfully-provided Playstation jacks for gamers. The bathroom is also spacious, and I appreciate the fact that the coffee service occupies its own counter outside the bathroom, so it’s not taking up precious space on the bathroom counter.

Because we travel with our laptops, I always count the number of available electrical outlets that can be used for laptops, cell phone chargers, etc. The hotels we like best have at least one free outlet on each side of the bed for easy computing, and others available elsewhere for cell phone chargers. There were none free by the bed. My daughter had to stretch her laptop cord across the room to the desk to find an electrical outlet within reach of the bed. There was one more socket available near the window, and one next to the coffee service.

I appreciated having central heat/air with my own thermostat. We were easily able to set the room at a comfortable temperature.

I woke out of a sound sleep at 4:45am due to a loud mechanical click/bang sound. A half-hour later, I discovered that the sound was the result of the refrigerator cycling on. Most refrigerators just start humming, not banging. Luckily, I went to bed early enough that I got enough sleep. Otherwise, I’d be cussing about being sleepy before my three-hour drive home. I hope this was just my refrigerator, and not all of them.

Our room was located near the stairwell, and I feared that we’d hearing the banging of people coming up and down the stairs. We didn’t. We didn’t hear a peep from the stairwell or the room next door. It was quiet and peaceful. The only outside sound I heard was when the birds started twittering the next morning.

About those radios: I often wonder if hoteliers ever actually sleep in the rooms they design. The hotel must have purchased the clock/radios because they double as iPOD chargers/players. That’s a nice touch, except that the clock display has black numbers against the brightest white background I’ve seen in any hotel room. I had to cover it with a washcloth and a book, and turn the radio to face the wall, in order to make the room dark enough to sleep. Otherwise, the display is literally bright enough to read by, and it makes a bright glow that covers half the hotel room.

Overall, this was a decent value choice.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
cheshire UK
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Different to the usual style of Hotel I'm used to , more a drive up to the door style motel . Agree with all the comments made about the staff, always very friendly and helpful. Free wifi a pleasant surpise. Very convenient for downtown Paolo Alto and some good restaurants . Breakfast can be high calorie if you take the pastries, take the Deli option if you want fruit and juices. Only negative, In room coffee not very good.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank marathonman52
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed 28 December 2009

Everything about our stay exceeded expectations. The area was quiet enough for us to sleep with the window open. The room was large, very clean and up to date. The staff was friendly and helpful.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank EllenC1
Boston
Reviewed 15 December 2009

The weather was unusually cold (nights in the thirties F) in Palo Alto in early December but that is no excuse for putting a guest in a room that could not have been warmer than 50 degrees F, especially a one-room “suite” that cost $180 even after the AAA discount. Although I put the heater on full blast as soon as I checked in at 7:30pm or so, it was inadequate to actually warm up the room by bedtime at 10:30pm or so. By then, exhaustion – and the fact that the room had been paid in advance – took over and this weary traveler fell asleep – wearing long underwear, sweaters and every other piece of clothing he could find. The room did not really warm up until noon the next day – at which point I checked out and went to a hotel down the road (the Courtyard by Marriott, very well heated and perfectly fine in all other ways, $104 walk-up rate). When I mentioned the freezing temperature in the room to the Creekside Inn desk clerk in the morning, he apologized and offered only the excuse that the hotel tries to save energy by not heating the rooms that are not being used – but then again, this hotel has a policy that if you have not canceled the room 48 hours in advance, you have paid for it. At 6:30am, I called the desk and requested a space heater to make the bathroom habitable – it was too cold there even to shower. No, no space heaters. Although I informed the desk by 8:30am that I was leaving – my second contact about the issue after the 6:30 call – there was no call or visit from the manager to ask what had gone wrong. No offer of a partial refund. Thank goodness there was also no early departure fee – maybe because unhappy guests leave often??

I am trying really hard to think of extenuating circumstances for this and failing. They knew I was coming. They knew the rooms get cold when the heat is off. Why didn’t they do anything about it?

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
CreeksideMGR, Manager at Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel, responded to this review, 22 December 2009
Dear Guest,
By this time now you have been contacted for a refund on your stay at the Creekside Inn and have received a note from our General Manager. The room you have stayed in has been checked by maintenance with regards to heat output. We do have a "Green" policy in place where heat is turned off in rooms that are not being used by guests, but in this case, something happened and your stay was not as intended.

We are very sorry that this stay ended up the way it did, and that you did not experience the stay desired by our management and staff.
Should you have any other concerns or if we can help you in any way, please message me through this screen name and we can establish further contact regarding your visit at our hotel.

Again, we are sorry that your visit did not run smoothly, and it is the desire of our management and staff that our guests receive and "experience exceptional service."

Regards, Creekside Inn Management
AZ
Reviewed 8 December 2009

I was looking for a relatively cheap place to stay when I was interviewing at Stanford for a residency. I picked the Creekside Inn because the place offered free wireless and had a complimentary car service to any location within a 5 mile radius. Since I did not want to rent a car, this service was great. It is a little more expensive than the other inns on El Camino Real but well worth it- especially since I saved on the car or taxis. The gym was good, there is a heated outdoor pool and the rooms were great. They even have complimentary wine for guests at the restaurant next door. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. I had no problems using the car service to drop me off at dinner the night before and to my interview. They even picked me up from my interview after I had checked out. I would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business