“This is our second visit and it was terrific”
Review of Cardinal Hotel

Cardinal Hotel
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
new jersey
“This is our second visit and it was terrific”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

This is a small hotel right in downtown Palo Alto, We had two graduations at Stanford and it was absolutely the best place to stay. It is in walking distance to everywhere.

There is no airconditioning, but there are ceiling fans and fans provided. We were there when is was 90 degrees and were fine with the fans. I would suggest asking for room away from the side street (Ramona).

This is a great place, extremely clean, accomodating and friendly. The manager, Stephanie was particularly helpful arranging for 15 of us to stay

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank mcdavit

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 6 June 2011

My wife and I have visited the Cardinal Hotel annually over the past ten years or so, on the heels of our very first stay there way back in December of 1988! Since we both had lived in Palo Alto for brief periods of time in the past, the Cardinal really feels like home away from home to us. In many ways it has the air of a stately European hotel, including a welcoming lobby where daily newspapers and recent periodicals are provided along with coffee, tea and hot chocolate! Although we loved the original feel, a significant financial investment was made over the past few years to completely remodel the bedrooms and bathrooms. Having witnessed the changes from year to year, this remodeling was a complete success in our way of thinking, in preserving the original style and tenor, while upgrading the fixtures and amenities to modern specifications. Its downtown location is also ideal for visiting some of our favorite haunts in P.A. (restaurants, stores, brewpubs, etc.) without having to bother with a car. I would be remiss if I did not mention the fantastic staff at the Cardinal who really go out of their way to accommodate us. Bob Davis has been manning the front desk for more years that I can recall, and he always tries to get us the very best room that is available. His extensive knowledge about Palo Alto and the surrounding area (both historical and current) and his lengthy employment at the Cardinal make him a integral and invaluable fixture there and a special part of our experience with them. His kind friendship is yet one extra special reason why we will continue to stay at the Cardinal whenever we are in Palo Alto. Finally, the room rates are very reasonable compared to other places in the Peninsula.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jwlaclaire2
Richland, Washington
Reviewed 29 May 2011

We spent several nights here in April. It was comfortable though a bit nois on the AM when garbage trucks started collecting trash in the alley our room overlooked. Would be hot in the summer without air conditioning

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank nhd
Pleasant Hill, Ca.
Reviewed 28 May 2011

This hotel cannot be beat for both price and location. I have had to stay in Palo Alto, near the hospital, several times lately due to an illness in the family. I found The Cardinal Hotel completely by chance on my first visit to the area and am now a loyal patron. I have always had a room with a shared bath. The standards of cleanliness couldn't be higher, the staff is great and the location is the best.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
Reviewed 7 May 2011

The Cardinal is as charming as it looks on the hotel website, and was very pleasant for my multi-day stay.

Not obvious from the website: stairs at one corner of the lobby lead up to a mezzanine and a spacious public room with a conference table, several couches and chairs, bookshelves complete with books, two desks with PCs, and an attached kitchenette. The PCs had free internet access. Wi-fi access in the rooms/lobby was $5 per 24 hours and worked quite well.

My room was immaculate, with an updated bathroom. No air conditioning in the rooms, but there is a ceiling fan, and the windows (which open!) have plantation style shutters. I did not need the little extra oscillating fan stashed in the closet.

For those who might choose the European-style "shared bathroom," those too, are immaculate.

I would definitely choose the Cardinal again. It is an old-fashioned hotel in a vibrant neighborhood, with a Whole Foods as well as a public transportation hub within walking distance.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ttaabq
Delhi
Reviewed 25 April 2011

I had an longish stay at the Cardinal hotel (about 12 days) and I enjoyed the stay there. It is ideally located close to the most 'happening' places in Palo Alto.I had read some reviews about the hotel here before I chose the place. Not all reviews had been complimentary. However, the staff and the Hotel itself made me feel at home and I was very comfortable at the Cardinal. Wireless Internet came at 5 $ per day and was pretty fast. The University avenue is just a few steps away and there are many restaurants to choose from. Coffee and Tea are available 24x7 at the lobby. An ironing board and iron were available in the room itself which was a big help. I only wish that there would have been a small refrigerator in the room.

Room Tip: The restaurant attached serves good breakfast.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Finland
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I stayed in The Cardinal hotel for 10 days whilst visiting Stanford university. Hotel dates back to 1920' and has a wonderful vintage ambience of style and comfort. My room was very clean and well taken care of by the cleaning staff. Receptionists were very attentive, polite and helpful. They don't have a breakfast room, but there is an excellent French-style Bistro Maxime and a very popular Italian restaurant Osteria next door. I visited both and they were very good. Hotel serves various blends of fresh coffee all day. Customers can rent a fridge to the room or store food in the fridge in the small kitchenette in the spacious and comfortable combination of a business-center, library and dining room available for customers. Hotel is located very conveniently in downtown Palo Alto yet within easy bike trip from university. They even stores customer bikes. I enjoyed my stay very much and would recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Stanford university or Palo Alto for business or leisure.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business