“Good balance of old charm and modern amenities”
Review of Cardinal Hotel

Cardinal Hotel
Ranked #13 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

If you are charmed by old style (as I am) this is a very cool hotel, since it also has modern amenities like an updated bathroom, new carpet, direct USB charging plugs, flat screen tv, and free wifi. It's a great balance, in my mind, of keeping some old touches without feeling outdated at all. Clearly all the decisions about what to keep have been thoughtfully made (lobby with fireplace, hefty door frames, smallish rooms).

I agree the noise is quite loud, both within the hotel and from the street. I don't suggest staying here if you are a light sleeper. I do suggest it if you like places that have some style and "feel".

• Stayed: February 2013
There are newer reviews for Cardinal Hotel

Reviewed 27 December 2012

Centre of town ye olde world charm.
Comfortable, friendly and down to earth. Only minus was the noise from rowdy students (I guess) at closing time in the nearby bars - nothing I haven't heard from staying in UK and not the problem of hotel. Walking distance to cal train station and in centre of town, positives far out weigh negatives. Shared bathrooms, old elevators and no frills add to the charm and character of the place - I will stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 December 2012

The Cardinal hotel is in great position, in easy walking distance of the lovely Palo Alto and restaurants. The hotel is functional, comfortable and clean...its just a bit dreary and old. The bedding could certainly do with being freshened up. The staff barely acknowledge you as you walk in and out and would be nicer if they could rustle up a smile or "good morning" every now and again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 November 2012

I stayed at the hotel for two weeks. Service, security, and etc are good. Historically old hotel. At the center of Palo Alto. There are a lot of cafes around. 5 minutes walk to the train station. All is OK.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Alexander S
Reviewed 5 November 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel while attending wedding functions for a niece. The hotel was small and charming altho a little worn around the edges. However, it was in a very lively area of restaurants and bars which we enjoyed with other guests. The personnel at the hotel were very accomodating and friendly. I would certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Hotel is very well located and it is charming. The staff seemed weary and less than pleased to greet us, which later made sense.

When I got back from dinner, I noticed that it was very loud outside my window. I looked out and realized that the room faces an alley lined with dumpsters used by the nearby restaurants and bars. Noise from the street, bars and alley ricochet around the alley all night. At midnight I went down to complain and saw in the poor woman's face that she deals with this on a regular basis. She mechanically offered me free earplugs.

I was awoken multiple times throughout the night - trucks backing up in the alley, barbacks throwing bags full of bottles away, etc. Someone's drilling as I write this at 6am.

Definitely recommend staying somewhere else while in the area.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not face the alley
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank New_Yorker_2013
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We spent Saturday night at this vintage hotel in downtown Palo Alto. The hotel is beautifully restored. Our room was small but really comfortable. We spent a few hours reading in the comfortable lobby. Lisa, the friendly desk clerk, made us feel very welcome. Because it was the weekend, we were able to park our car for free in the city garage across the street. The hotel is not air-conditioned and it was a warm day, but we left the window open and were comfortable. Our room faced Ramona street and the noise bothered me a little. I could have closed the window. It was so nice to be right downtown with the restaurants and shops.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple