1,232 results
All reviewspoolside restauranttrader vicskoi fishsteam showerexercise bikepool sidean oasiswater featuresel caminobeautiful groundschain hotelssilicon valleyrooms are largeold schoolking bedfront desk staffparking lot
Reviewed 2 November 2011

In two words? Hodge-podge; Mrs Eyes Wide Open and I stayed here for easy access to the Stanford campus. When Mrs Eyes Wide Open told me what we had paid for it (several hundred a night), given I am quite well travelled, certain expectations popped into my head. The hotel missed this by some shot. Bottom line? Nice, old style hotel with a certain amount of charm. But, I have to agree with a previous reviewer: It feels like a badly renovated Best Western or Travelors Lodge. Quite frankly, it rates #5 on places to stay in Palo Alto on Tripadviser: how or why that is is beyond me. They do have an ‘executive’ wing.. Maybe that's it because based on our room, I struggle to see how.

The good? Friendly, helpful front desk. Clean smoke free rooms (ours was), Free wifi, comfortable bed, balcony was a nice touch. Ducks in the pool was interesting. The pool area itself is well landscaped. The photos you see are mainly of that area. The in-room drinks/menu prices were probably some of the best I’ve seen price-wise.

The bad? The walk to the center of the Stanford campus runs a few miles (ie: get a car) The room itself was an interesting décor: Kind of like they started renovating but ran out of cash. The TV was a boxy one from 10+ years ago and the hotel felt the need to tie it (yes, I mean tie) to the room but then there was modern, recessed lighting. The prints in the room were dated 1969 and 1976. Not sure if the frames were that old but I does not give it an air of modernity. There was one of those tubular, boxy, plasticy hair dryers that most hotels did away with 15 years ago as well as a modern hair dryer. The phone beside the bed is straight from c1975: think old school, boxy buttons with an actual handset. If I liked kitsch, I’d probably steal it. You have to pay for water here too, which is annoying.

Conclusion? Hodge-podge. Would I be back? Probably not. This hotel has to compete on price given its location is not exactly walking distance to anything. The fact is there are better priced options (with more up-to-date rooms) closer to Stanford/Palo Alto/Menlo Park. We booked late for a function we were attending. It really does, in a quirky kind of way, feel like a old Travelodge Motel that someone tried hard to fix up but ran out of money. The two large elephants at the front feel out of place, an old abandoned radio mast with lights on it means you know where it is at all times too, both of which lead to further head scratching. It is clean tho. But then given we're in 2011 and there are a dozen competing hotels nearby, you'd expect that.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Eyes_Wide_Open01
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I am currently staying at Dinah's. I dont really have anything negative to say about the hotel, but its very old. The furniture, bathroom, TV, basically everything is old. BUT it is very clean. so if you dont mind staying in a dated hotel, then you wont mind Dinah's.

Its about 6 miles from downtown Palo Alto. I tagged along my husband for a business trip, but really couldnt find anything to do in the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Hibba
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stayed here recently during a trip to move our son back to Stanford. We were blown away by how beautiful this hotel is! The rooms are clean and spacious and the setting is beautiful. There are koi ponds and tranquil landscaping that make you feel as if you are on a tropical island. The stress level of moving back on campus was greatly reduced for all of us! The pool is wonderful and the people who work at the hotel couldn't be nicer!! The beds and linens made sleep a pleasure. We could not imagine a better place to stay on all our return visits!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 October 2011

I did not stay at the hotel but we stopped for lunch because it is such an iconic location. We sat pool side and it was lovely all very organically retro.

Anyhow, our waiter was great, a big laugh. We ordered a burger and expected a run o f the mill burger. WOW. best burger I have ever had. The bun was melt in your mouth fresh, the patti was homemade and dripping with juice (med) avacado was sweet and freshly sliced and the bacon was chopped which is nice because you get bacon in every bite instead of pulling it out of the burger with your teeth. This was by far, the best, juiciest, homemade burger I have ever had. Well well well worth the 5 mile run the next day. Will come back there next time for sure!

Please note; my review ratings for service, and value are excellent, but for the burgers. I did not stay in the hotel I had to fill in blanks to submit my review for the categories after... but I wanted to rave about the burgers and this was the only way.

Read the other reviews for the other 6 categories

Mgmt: I forget our waiters names, but if management is reading this, we were there on Monday October 24 at 1230 and there were two guys working, plus whoever made those burgers! Thank you!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 October 2011

Reasonably priced for the area, and the water through the property makes for a relaxing retreat. Ducks floating just outside our window. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011