“Surprisingly great!”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
“Surprisingly great!”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

A last minute work trip during Oracle week left me scrambling to find some place decent to stay that wasn't eight or nine hundred bucks a night. Someone on our staff found Dinah's and I'm really glad they did.

I'm a bonafide Kool-Aid drinking big brand hotel guy - always steering clear of the locally owned places. This place may have my mind changing a bit.

- The rate was impressively low amidst the entire Bay Area being 110% booked.
- Check in was simple, efficient and the gentlemen behind the desk were professional and helpful.
- My room (deluxe queen) was HUGE for Bay Area standards. It was amazingly clean. It had a mini bar (decent prices), small dining table, pull out couch, small balcony and a large bathroom area.
- The bed was super comfy (very firm, which is what I prefer) with really crisp clean sheets. The sliding door to the balcony had a screen, so I was able to keep the door open and enjoy the cool evening air.
- Sadly, I left my room when the sun was coming up and returned after dark - meaning I didn't get to enjoy what seemed to be an impressive outdoor area with lots of plants and a creek.

I felt safe. The in-room coffee was good. It was sold out - but I heard very few other people.

When in Palo Alto, I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

This hotel is only 5 minutes driving from Stanford & Downtown Palo Alto. They made the hotel look like a retreat village. The photos are self-explanatory and they are not enough to tell you how good this hotel is until you visit this place in person. It is a very refreshing experience to walk through the gardens in the hotel after a full day of work and travel. I am considering booking for long-term stay the next time I visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Aaron L
London
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night in July, just after a long transatlantic flight. The hotel is very pleasant, just off the main road and was very welcoming. It had a quaint feel to it and the room was comfortable. The pool and bar area are well designed and it feels like an oasis in a built up area. Good value, clean and worth a stay.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rob1london
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is now my favorite hotel in the Bay Area. We stayed in a recently renovated room in Building 6 on the first floor (after asking that we be moved from the 3rd floor room with the hum... we think it was under the air conditioners on the roof). The food and drinks at the poolside restaurant were great, and we looked forward every morning to having our breakfast next to the beautiful pool. We enjoyed the gardens and the sounds of the fountains and looking at the giant fish in the ponds. Everyone was extremely nice and housekeeping was great. The rooms were clearly renovated on a budget, but the beds and bedding are wonderful, the rooms are large, and attention was paid to where attention needed to be paid. I don't care if they used cheap flooring... the shower and sink worked really well, and the large-screen flat TV and free wi-fi were very nice touches.

Room Tip: Building 6 was renovated in Spring, 2013, so the rooms there are all nice and new and spacious.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 September 2013

The Asian-themed gardens of this family-owned hotel were lovely and unexpected, considering the location on El Camino. We enjoyed quiet rest removed from the busy street in a large room that included a sitting area. We liked the breakfast choices at the poolside cafe, with excellent service. We've already recommended Dinah's to a friend who will be in the area frequently, and we would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Several months prior to a wedding, Jeannie Louie, Sales manager for Dinah's Garden Hotel, gave me an impromptu tour of several lovely rooms and suites. I was quite impressed with this unique setting of lovely gardens and exquisitely designed rooms. I immediately booked a block of 10 rooms for out of town wedding guests. Excellent and prompt communication by the staff to my email and telephone inquiries.
The reception was held at the newly renovated Elks Lodge right next door; within a short and easy walking distance. Dinah's management was graciously accommodating when several additional wedding guests decided to book a room at Dinah's. On separate occasions, several wedding guests raved to me independently about how their stay went beyond their expectations. They loved their rooms, and the convenience to the airport. The Bride and Groom were happily surprised with a complimentary bottle of champagne. I am grateful to have been allowed to display a bulletin board in the lobby so that wedding guests could leave notes for each other, and meet up for brunch.
I have eaten at Dinah's Poolside Grill on several occasions. The indoor/outdoor seating provides a lovely respite, with great food at good prices for a hotel.
(BTW, I am NOT a professional wedding/event planner. Just thrilled to marry off my dearest friends who have treated me like my family for decades.)

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
South Pasadena, California
Reviewed 30 August 2013

My wife and I were looking for a pet-friendly hotel while she was on business in Palo Alto and happened upon Dinah's. We could not have been happier with our experience. Not only were the hotel's gardens delightful, but our room was spacious and very well appointed. The staff was friendly to us and to our Golden Retriever Mimi. The restaurant (we had breakfast and lunch, not dinner) was excellent and the staff there very friendly and professional. The WiFi is fast and available everywhere in the complex at no extra charge. We highly recommend Dinah's. Also, make sure to read the history of the place which is in a binder in every room.

Room Tip: We were in 606 which was very large and quiet. The odd numbered rooms in the 600 building have patio...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business