“A vacation spot in a funky motel”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I grew up in Palo Alto and remember this place as a funky motel. As some point they turn the property into a little oasis. Many of the rooms open on to patios with water gardens, like a mini vacation.

If you were in town on business, you would have a place to relax at the end of your day. Our room was part of a different building - no little patio. However, it was set up for an extended stay with a mini kitchen including cookware, plates and basic kitchen staples. It was roomy if you were staying for a long business trip.

I also always had fond memories of the "poolside" diner. It's still there, and still fun to eat by the pool.

They have done a great job in creating a little retreat. The staff was very friendly and attentive.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mouseangel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,046)

Reviewed 4 November 2013

My family and I have stayed at Dinah's Garden Hotel quite a few times in the past year. My sister and her husband live right around the corner, so for us the location is perfect. I've also gone to both San Jose and San Francisco from here, and Dinah's location makes it easy to to travel anywhere in the Bay Area. The rooms are perfect -- especially the themed suites! The customer service is beyond great -- the staff is extremely accommodating and helpful. I would highly recommend Dinah's for anyone looking for a uniquely charming hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2013

First time visitor - long time traveler to Mountain View. My experience started with the exceptional front office staff in particular Alma and Anthony - true professionals in every sense of the word - the visit continued with fantastic room service and maid service - Alma set the standard and the rest of staff performed exceptionally. Looking forward to my next trip to paradise.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I enjoyed staying at this older hotel in Palo Alto Ca the rooms in the executive suites were very large and clean with lots of room to spread out. Had an exerecise bike in the room. Good value for the money and we will stay there again if we are back in Palo Alto

Room Tip: get the executive suite a much larger room
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I thought I was the only that lucked into finding this place until I saw all the recent reviews. I found the hotel during a busy week where all my other standards (typically big brand hotels) were booked. My only other experience with non-brand hotel in this part of the Bay was not very good, so I reluctantly booked it and consoled myself that it was only for one night.

I checked in and the reception staff were very friendly. The BIG surprise was the room. I walked in and was very surprised by the hardwood floors, the stationary exercise bike in the room an the just the sheer size of the room. The room had a large retro-looking radio in addition to the clock radio commonly found in hotel rooms.

The location, directly on El Camino is great and yet the room was very quiet. This hotel is on my short list for trips to the Bay Area now.

Room Tip: I was in room 505. Very spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Very close to Stanford U. for football or reunion. Almost an enclave or retreat to the silicon bustle of Palo Alto, with lovely landscaping, pools with Koi, and leftovers of yesteryear from the founder, who apparently transformed an apricot orchard to a dubious museum of quirky African art commemorating his stint as an ambassador to Mali (vis. 1/32? size wood hippopotami and bronze elephant statues etc. The café has been remodeled, but, along with the bathrooms, almost seems "retro", with Kleenex boxes imbedded in the wall, and noisy AC units blaring into the night. Penalties re smoking and pets are emblazoned on the info provided, in particular the "no-party rule", understandably, since there is little insulation, so my neighbor next door had to endure any cooing to my blushing bride of 27 years, or my raucous excitement as Stanford picked apart UCLA. The next-door restaurant used to be a Trader Vic's! We didn't go, but managed to snare a Mai-Tai at the garden café, though sans umbrella. Food was great, the pool lovely, the rooms clean and well appointed, with great coffee and apples/chocolates in addition to an honor bar in the room. Overall, highly recommended by us older folks for the price and California (left coast) experience, quirky/unique grounds, and the proximity to Stanford U.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed my stay here.

The staff were very helpful, the hotel clean, the rooms tastefully decorated and the grounds quite an oasis of calm.

The food was pretty good and the chef was happy to customise dishes.

I stayed in the '200' block in one of the upstairs rooms. The balcony overlooked the pool (which was quiet) and had the sun from late morning to early evening.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013