“Interesting Stay, Hard to Evaluate”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 22 April 2014

So we stayed here for two days while visiting family over a recent holiday and it was an odd place, not bad, just kind of odd. It is broken up into buildings and we were placed in the back with what we were told was a "renovated" room but that could have only meant that a flat screen TV had been added. The rest of the room looked like it was out of the 70s but it was big and clean, and reasonably quiet (we could hear people walking above) so not really a problem. But it also seemed like there were lots of other rooms available, some had crazy prices online, and it felt odd to be shuttled off to the back of the hotel when the place was half full. The pool was very nice, though service sketchy and one person rude (one lunch server was excellent in contrast) and the place felt a little unsecure -- no locked doors going to the outside and a fence was wide open that led out to an adjacent apt building that made me a little nervous. The area is safe but this just made it feel more like a low-end motel, though the prices were definitely not low-end. It is a quirky place, though, which I like so I might stay again but only if the rates were reasonable, definitely not worth paying premium rates.

Room Tip: Get a room that surrounds the pool but I assume there is a hefty price premium for that.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bostontodc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,073)

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Dinah's property is beautifully landscaped with streams, bridges, lush and flowering plants and works of art. I love the scale of the development---low rise with buildings surrounding the pool. Our unit was on the ground level with a lanai that connected to the pool. The linens and furnishings were of good quality and service good. I loved the good WIFI and fresh apples in the room every day.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2014

I recently stayed at the beautiful Dinah's Garden Hotel located in the bustling community of Palo Alto,CA. The hotel is conveniently located on a major thoroughfare~ El Camino Real and is not far from the 101 Highway (direct route up to San Francisco). Upon check-in I was immediately greeted by the staff and they checked me in quickly! The manager even recommended tourist spots, local restaurants (including their own Poolside restaurant!) and he even gave me some food to feed the koi fish! The hotel is a great value~ and the surrounding area is beautiful! I had a superior suite located on the top floor of the hotel overlooking the gorgeous koi pond. The Koi pond was full of fish, ducks, beautiful trees, waterfalls, bridges that provided a beautiful setting for walks, a lovely gazebo to sit at, and various works of art/sculptures artistically placed throughout the property! My room was just perfect! I had a king sized bed that was actually comfortable! And the bathroom was recently renovated. They provided a full stocked kitchen (and bar), a great little breakfast nook and a sleeper couch too! What I enjoyed most was the peace AND quiet of my room! I was actually able to keep my screen door open so that I could listen and be lulled to sleep by the waterfalls! I was at Dinah's hotel for a business trip/work. I stayed mostly on the property, because I was able to rest well and get a lot of work done! They also have a wonderful poolside restaurant that provides a wide assortment of foods from: Grilled seafood, soups, salads, pasta, burgers, vegetarian fare, and wonderful breakfast omelets! I am most definitely planning a return trip to the Bay Area and will be staying at Dinah's Garden Hotel. I HIGHLY recommend Dinah's Garden Hotel for THE place to stay during your visit to the Bay Area!

Room Tip: Definitely book a room overlooking the Koi Pond area!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We found Dinah's the old fashion way - online searches! As we were driving there, we passed a few other motels and hotels and were not impressed. Given that our price was in the same range as the others, we felt Dinah's would be just ok. We were wrong. Service was great. Our room was amazing, large, spotlessly clean, very comfortable. The welcome apples and chocolates were a very nice touch. The grounds and pool area are really like an oasis, very inviting and calming. You immediately forget that the major roadway is only feet away. We will definitely return and recommend this place. Also, the price alone is worth the stay, but when coupled with the service, amenities and atmosphere, Dinah's climbs tot he top of anyone's list.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gl0bal_guru
Reviewed 13 March 2014

Stayed for 2 weeks last month, and was impressed. Very good-sized room, comfortable bed, apples and chocolates supplied each day, free parking, very clean. Had a couple of breakfasts and dinners in the pool bar - both reasonable value for the area and good quality food. It's about 4 miles from Palo Alto centre.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John_Bristol_England
Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed there for 4 nights recently and really loved it. Hard to believe that it's on El Camino, because it is so lushly planted with trees, shrubs, flowers (many exotic) that it feels like a tropical retreat. And the many separate small buildings, with streams and lagoons, increase the feeling of privacy. I found the artwork in the rooms and around the grounds quite remarkable -- and the owner can tell you the provenance of any that you're curious about. Room was spacious with excellent desk and table space and excellent internet connection -- very fine for working. I had no time to try the pool, nor to sit around it ordering drinks and snacks, but that looked very inviting. I have to confess that my stay was paid for (on business); I don't know if I would ever be so self-indulgent as to pay for such luxury myself. I also don't pay money to fly business class when I go overseas, but love it when it happens - and I think this hotel is much more affordable than flying business class, so on reflection, if I wanted a really lovely stay with my husband sometime, I would be ready to pay for it!

Room Tip: My room was a second floor lagoon room - excellent privacy, restful sound of fountains, lovely. A co...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BHPAmherst_MA
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I stayed at this location since my typical hotel was full. The room was clean and quite large. The space was a bit dated and a little musty. The room had a large balcony. The restaurant and pool area are very nice and the service was great. The large drawback with this property is the lack of parking. I was lucky where the occupancy was not an issue. If the property is semi-full parking will be a problem. Other reviews mentioned the water pressure was a bit low, but it was not a problem for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business