“Fabulous experience!!!”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Friendly staff, comfortable rooms, and a beautiful view! Checkout Dinah's Poolside Grill as well. The food was excellent. My only complaint, albeit a silly one, was the fountain in the pond directly outside the room was pretty loud at night when I attempted to sleep with the balcony door open (it was a beautiful night). Regardless, Dinah's is a great place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,061)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I needed to stay in Palo Alto overnight and did not want to pay the exorbitant prices typical for hotels in that area as this was a business trip and my budget is limited! I found Dinah's Garden Hotel. Check-in and check-out was quick and easy. The staff was lovely, helpful, and very accommodating. The restaurant was also quite good. I wanted to watch a sporting event in my room but the restaurant menu is much more extensive than the room service menu. The staff understood and brought me my meal. The wine selection was excellent and the server allowed me to try several tastes before ordering. It wound up being an excellent meal, a lovely room, and a very enjoyable trip. If I ever have a need to return to the area, I will return for sure to Dinah's.

Room Tip: Lots of separate buildings - if you have a particular need or desire, just ask when making the reser...
Reviewed 1 July 2014

A lovely motel style complex with beautiful refreshing gardens - a bit of a tropical paradise. Larger than normal rooms sizes. Reception friendly & helpful. The onsite restaurant, overlooking the pool, served a lovely breakfast and a really tasty lunch. Centrally located near the heart of Palo Alto, a really different experience and a nice change from the corporate brands of hotels. .

Room Tip: The rooms in the 600 blocks are at the rear away from the road and also feature lakes with carp. The...
Reviewed 29 June 2014

While traveling to Silicon Valley on business recently, we stayed at Dinah's. This is a bit unorthodox for us because we typically use chains to build up points.

Dinah's has a rich history and I do like to read about those types of things. It has the look of a motel and indeed it was a roadside motel in the 1950s, always run by the same family.

Today, it has rebranded itself as a boutique, high-end property. The architecture includes ponds and water attractions, a nice pool area and renovated rooms.

We found the room we were in on the dark side, but it was sizeable with its own living room area that overlooked a private back garden. Other rooms around the property can also be on the koi ponds which are a signature architectural feature.

We had breakfast on several mornings at the restaurant that overlooks the pool and that was excellent.

Location was a plus with easy access into Palo Alto and other cities nearby.

The folks above us made quite a bit of noise and unfortunately we could hear that all too easily, so soundproofing would be a plus or maybe using carpeting instead of tile? I'm not sure but it was loud. Even as I type this I can easily hear a vacuum cleaning a room around me somewhere.

So, if you are looking for a bit of history and sick of chains, then Dinah's may be for you. It was clean and comfortable.

2  Thank 3Dtravelpro
Reviewed 18 June 2014

If you find yourself in Palo Alto, consider this nice upscale "motel". Rooms were large with nice amenities. Airconditioning was a welcome addition. Outside our balcony was a koi pond giving it a very "homey" feeling. A little pricy but definitely better than a Best Western. A drawback is that you can hear doors opening and closing outside your hallway that may startle you if you're a light sleeper. Previous reviews complained of noise from construction but apparently all jobs are done and the place is quiet. It was a stone's throw away from Frie's electronics and Stanford University.

Room Tip: Take a room at the 2nd or 3rd floors so as not to be bothered by the public walking outside. Elevato...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Dinah's Garden Hotel is a very well run establishment starting with the friendly and very efficient reception and notably Alan Narayan who anticipates every need. He remembered us from previous visits and made sure we had everything we required for our stay. The rooms are spacious and well kept. The gardens are an oasis in the busy Silicon Valley with the sound of flowing water and the bird life it attracts. The sparkling pool and it's accompanying poolside restaurant is heaven on a warm day. Highly recommended if you are in the area. Dinah's Garden will always be our choice.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lagoon ( block 6) are quiet and restful.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was not my first time staying at Dinah's Garden Hotel but I felt it was important to say, yes, they can handle a group and handle it well. I was in charge of my parents memorial and had family coming in from all over on Memorial Weekend. I first made contact with Jeannie to arrange rooms. She showed me several rooms and choices I could make. The discount price for a block of rooms was great. Everyone was pleased with their rooms and especially the special touches Dinah's provides to its guests. Ghiradelli chocolates and fresh fruit each night, comfy beds, rooms with patio's or balconies and great food and service at their pool side restaurant. In the process of losing our parents, the family home sold that weekend. All of us decided though, this would be where we would stay when we gathered together from now on. Added bonus: Trader Joe's and Safeway a couple blocks away, close to 280, Stanford and shopping. A big thanks to the front counter staff, Jeannie, the restaurant - ownership should be proud of this group.

Room Tip: The 600 building facing the pool. The 100 series is good especially in the top corner.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family