“This is a mini-resort with a marvelous staff.”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We've stayed here a couple of times while visiting family in the area. I cannot say enough about just how marvelous this place is, and how they deliver on both quality and service. The facilities are great, but it's the service ... the staff's attitude ... that makes it stand out over any other property, regardless of price.

We have grandkids, so accommodating families' needs is important to us. Not only do the rooms have mini fridges and a deep sink, coffee service and etc., but the poolside restaurant has a kids' menu that is both (1) kid-friendly and (2) great food! Great happy hour for the grown-ups, too. And endless poolside towel service (of course, don't abuse the convenience!).

We just spent several nights at Dinah's, had multiple rooms, for a family wedding in the area. Came away, as usual, with everyone in our party quite happy with the whole experience.

Oh, yes, and did I mention the staff? A forgotten power cord was cheerfully retrieved for us, with the information that they store forgotten items for a very long time. Julie Handley knows how to run a hotel for repeat customers.

Room Tip: If you absolutely must have quiet, ask for rooms at the back of the property. If you let your small...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,072)

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We have enjoyed 2 wonderful nights in this hotel in August 2014 and this was definitely one of the best hotel experiences in the US! We were particularly looking for a small hotel, not a faceless network monster – and this place is superb - extremely clean and well maintained, quite, plenty of free parking space. Location is very convenient – right on the main street. At the same time – you do not hear the traffic noise, since all the rooms are facing the garden.
Everything in the hotel yard and between hotel blocks is covered by green and flowers – little oasis! Pool is very clean and warm, suitable for both kids and adults (1,3m deep from one side and 2,5m from the other). Hotel has extreme touch for details - just to give you an idea - there were several child soccer teams staying in a hotel at the same time. Of course, all kids went to pool and took all pool towels. Within 5 minutes there was a pile of new towels ready for new pool visitors.
Hotel has a superb restaurant with extremely tasty food and very friendly service – we even did not go out and stayed in the hotel.
All in all – most enjoyable stay – we can highly recommend this place to all type of travelers!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed here the night we got married. Beautiful place. Love the restaurant too. Now we come back for the breakfast and happy hour. They have done some remodeling. It's so nice to sit outside by the pool and eat breakfast.

Room Tip: The suite was very nice
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked this hotel at the very last minute, when we needed a room for one night only. We saw that it had good reviews, but knew nothing else about it. I was exhausted and desperately in need of a good night's sleep. The room we had booked was lovely, but it happened to be adjacent to the happily busy swimming pool. Another time that would have been great! But I needed quiet. Without hesitation, Owner/Manager Julie Handley moved us into another room (a free upgrade), where we enjoyed blissful peace all night! The room she moved us into - the African Room - was filled with authentic African art, which I fully appreciated when I awoke the next morning. I wish we had had time to wander the grounds and eat at the hotel restaurant, but we were on a fast track that day. The next time we are visiting the area, we definitely will want to stay at Dinah's Garden Hotel! (They even have some dog-friendly rooms, which is a plus for us.) Thank you, thank you, thank you, Julie Handley!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2014

In the past, when traveling on business, my husband would always stay at Dinah's, raving about the ponds, lighted bridges, and restful atmosphere - a world away from the stresses of a work assignment. When planning our most recent trip together, he insisted on booking our stay at Dinah's. Now I know why! It truly is a perfect little oasis, with koi ponds, fountains, little ducks, lush vegetation, a waterside gazebo, bridges across the ponds, beautifully clean pool for swimming, and the friendliest atmosphere anywhere. Even the "standard" rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable. Ours had a refrigerator, fresh fruit every day, and delicious chocolate treats, cold water, and wine. The rooms are quiet, and the beds and showers are wonderful, too. A highlight was breakfast at the poolside restaurant. Octavio and Melchor met us daily with smiles, friendly conversation, and great service. They truly made our experience at Dinah's a five star memory. If you ask at the front desk, you might even get a little food for the already fat koi, and the always hungry ducks. Dinah's is a delight and we recommend it highly. The location is perfect - close to the charming old downtown of Los Altos, the bayside trails to walk a sunset, and the Stanford campus, as well as a short drive to the San Jose Airport, great restaurants, grocery stores. Big Basin Redwood State Park is about an hour away and worth the winding drive.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the lagoon are desirable, but ours overlooking the pool was perfect too, with a roomy...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Ok, I came to Dinah's the first time for some awards dinner for work like 13 years ago and fell in love with the grounds. Beautiful poolside banquet room but there are lagoons, gardens, ducks, wildlife, elephants in front of the check in building and I love elephants and I just fell in love with it. I always wanted to stay here so finally after years of pining over this place but never having a reason to stay there as I lived in that area, I got my chance to live my dream and it was worth the wait let me tell you. My husband and I were on the last stretch of our honeymoon and decided to stay another couple days in the bay area before having to go up to the overly hot mountain area we live in now and Dinah's finally had vacancy because every time I check, its full. I booked us a room that was a suite with a steam shower and full kitchen thinking we would be around the lagoon because of the price and how nice the pictures looked. Well I was wrong about that and after checking in and seeing that we were not in the lagoon area, I went back to the desk and asked to upgrade. They were very nice about this and said lots of people make the same mistake and change rooms so we were moved to a Lanai Suite #502 that had a gorgeous view of the lagoon, with ducks, a garden, fountains, bamboo, statues, a gazebo sitting area to the right of our hotel. IT was just gorgeous. Definitely worth upgrading.

So the other great thing is that this hotel was recently remodeled so in most of the rooms there are new beds, carpets, art work etc. Everything is just splendid and has so much character. Our room even had vaulted ceilings, fingertip controls which controlled everything from the 3 kinds of drapes to reading lights to other things. My husband loved being able to shut or open everything from the bed. The lagoon fountains made this creek like noise and ducks woke me up most mornings. This hotel is right on El Camino but you can't even hear the traffic! Its like you are in the mountains or at a secluded creek property. The reason I took off a star for cleanliness is that in our first place (the shower steam suite), the rugs were stained with what looked like red wine and it was an eyesore not to mention the kitchen area was under this big wood piece that was raggedy and I almost got a splinter so maybe the suite rooms could use some love as well.

But anyways our Lanai suite had a fireplace, complimentary extremely fast fiber optic internet and free at that. My husband couldn't believe how fast the internet was and at first I just thought oh its because we are in the bay area but this hotel has partnered with Palo Alto's fiber optic internet line and its super fast like no waiting at all. Impressive really. Our suite was also right next to the pool and near the pool is a poolside restaurant. Dinah's used to have Trader Vic's but now its Dinah's Poolside Restaurant and I loved it. I thought the food would be just diner fare but it had kick to it and there were lots of options. I ordered French Toast one day and it wasn't just bread soaked with egg mixture like most places, it had an orange zest that covered it and made it so no syrup was even necessary. The wait staff were very attentive and friendly and if you are staying there you can just add it to your room which is a very nice option. The downside is that there is no complimentary breakfasts here but I didn't mind because the room was so nice and the overall ambiance of the place was so delightful, I didn't mind paying for my own breakfast.

This hotel is also in the middle of everything like Stanford Mall, coffee shops, museums, restaurants etc and on site besides the poolside one is an extreme FINE DINING one called The Sea and we were going to go there until we found out that entrees started at $47 so if you can afford that one, supposedly its absolutely to die for. We opted for the amazing sushi places we found down the way. Also the hotel is a few blocks from a shopping plaza that has target, walmart, kohls etc and a whole foods. The hotel provides you with silverware and real plates in your room so you can just bring back your food and enjoy or you can get room service as its open pretty late and the prices were reasonable.

So, for wanting to stay here for over 10 years and finally getting to, my expectations were pretty high right? and they were exceeded! I absolutely love this place and I can't wait to stay here again. I go to the bay area often and have been staying elsewhere but with the great value and the peacefulness, I think I am going to start staying here. It was the perfect ending to a wonderful honeymoon with my husband.

The only negative thing is that because of the fact it was remodeled, the beds weren't at the perfect comfort level yet. I found ours to be quite hard and not have the pillow top that was mentioned in the description of the room. I would also advise to bring your own pillow as these sunk into the bed and gave me a headache but despite that, I would still come back again and again. There are larger rooms and themed rooms like a railroad adventure too.

The outside of this hotel gives nothing away that it would be this delightful but given a chance, this is a diamond in the rough and I am glad that the daughter took over this place after the original owners, her parents, died (well her dad did, not sure about mom). This place has the character of a rustic charming inn with the modern amenities the 21st century traveler has come to expect.

Cheers for making my dream of staying there come true and be amazing at that!

Room Tip: Make sure you choose a room that mentions it either has a garden or lagoon view or else you will end...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Pleasant, Friendly, Peaceful, Relaxing, and Beautiful Hotel. This will be "THE ONLY" hotel I stay at from now on when visiting family. NOT A SINGLE DISAPPOINTMENT! Not to mention breakfast was always something to look forward to. Always a warm and welcoming environment. Octavio, Well Done!!! You have changed my image of hotel restaurants. Five Star Experience!!!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family