“Delightful vintage motor inn with fresh new decor”

Dinah's Garden Hotel
Ranked #2 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Dallas, Texas
“Delightful vintage motor inn with fresh new decor”
Reviewed 3 March 2009

We stay in the Palo Alto area frequently because our children are Stanford students, but this was our first time at Dinah's as we got a very good internet rate on a room. It is not a hotel but rather a two-story motel off El Camino (behind and on the same grounds with Trader Vic's restaurant) with lovely water features and beautiful plantings. Our standard room was quite small and had a queen rather than king-sized bed as printed on our confirmation, but it was late and we were too tired to ask for a switch. The desk staff was cordial and probably would have made the correction. Although the room was tiny, it was brilliantly organized to include everything one would want (including a work desk with free T1 internet access and a refrigerator), was meticulously clean, and had been charmingly updated. Each room appears to have a private patio or balcony with chairs, table, and a lovely view of the garden, pool, or stream. Each evening we found a fresh supply of ice tucked in the refrigerator. Parking is free and ample, which stands in pleasant contrast to some hotels in the area. There is an onsite laundry room for guest use if needed.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TwoTexans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nj
Reviewed 7 August 2008

Stayed with my wife and two teenage sons for 3 nights (two separate rooms). Beautiful hotel--much nicer than you would expect coming off the busy El Camino Real. Pool is heated and the breakfast at the poolside restaurant was excellent. Easy 30-40 minute drive from the airport. Not cheap, but there online you got an upgrade to the deluxe room (slightly larger, small wetbar) for the regular room price. Front desk staff was extremely helpful.

• Liked — Lush gardens and pools make you feel you are far away.
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank MissedOurDog
los alto, ca
Reviewed 3 July 2008

I stay at dianhs for the 1st time on june 7, 2008. I hade no idea this hotel was behind trader vics. I was going to get a regular room and there was a tall guy there that took me on a tour. I think he was from the salesman, but i did not get his name. I thought that was very nice of him he give me a tour when all i wanted was just one room. And the rooms are unbleavable. I truly felt like i was on vacation in a resort somewhere. They truly won me over with the service and the great garden.
I WILL BE BACK

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with friends
1 Thank kiser
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Reviewed 18 May 2008

We had a perfect hotel experience at Dinah's Garden Hotel recently. Our room, no. 661, had a lovely deck and looked out on the lagoon. The room was spacious and luxurious, with everything supplied that we could possibly need, and the bed was comfortable.

The hotel grounds are beautiful, with tropical vegetation and flowers, and they provide a restful haven from the hectic Bay Area. While sitting on the deck, we actually saw a large white heron poised on a railing along the lagoon.

We enjoyed Trader Vic's Restaurant and found the legendary MaiTai to have lost none of its appeal and the food to be delicious. It was also nice to have breakfast by the pool in a modest restaurant that didn't have high hotel restaurant prices.

We would highly recommend this hotel to both the business and leisure traveler

• Liked — the hotel grounds
  • Disliked — there wasn't anything
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HenriandVenicia
Oxford
Reviewed 25 March 2008

Having stayed here two years before, I was looking forward to the experience again. The hotel rises above the typical motel in both the setting and the service, yet has no pretentions of grandeur and is reasonably priced for what you get.

As the name suggests, the setting is of a garden. There are tropical plants and a central water feature. Although it does not have acres of space, the effect is to make you relax a little. Most of the rooms have balconies or patios overlooking the pool area as well. The rooms are a reasonable size, as you would expect from a hotel (but maybe not a motel) in the USA.

On both occasions I found the staff friendly and helpful at all times. Unlike most big hotels, extras were included in the price. The (fast) internet is free in all the rooms and I was able to print off a document from a memory stick and have a photocopy made at the front desk without incurring any charges. Apples and chocolates are provided on the house every day in the rooms, and there was also a mini-bar (of course not free!) although not so well stocked.

While there is no buffet breakfast, the menu at the pool-side restaurant is fairly extensive. For evening meals, there is a Trader Vic's on site. I enjoyed the food on the nights I ate there, and the service is very good, but you do pay for it. There are plenty of other restaurants within a few blocks to suit all pockets and tastes.

During my stay there were some windy and chilly days and one of the rooms I stayed in was a bit draughty so I ended up feeling cold at night. I expect this is less of a problem in the summer!

I intend to return when I next visit Palo Alto.

• Liked — Surroundings and extra touches
  • Disliked — Cold
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank OxfordEnglish_bloke
McHenry, IL
Reviewed 5 February 2008

Large room, but nothing fancy. My internet connection worked fine. I was there during a cold spell in January, so I didn't try the pool, but it looked clean, large, and inviting. The grounds are well landscaped and attractive, but very confusing to get around, particularly your first night there. Staff was all brand new and not trained at all: had to go to the front desk to get shampoo after the first night, and the front desk still had to call the manager who had to call housekeeping who later brought me shampoo. Poolside cafe has excellent made-to-order breakfasts including omelets and good coffee (if you have time to sit, order, and eat); Starbucks is a couple of blocks down the street. Also has coffee in room, along with apples, chocolates, and mini-fridge. Food at Trader Vic's restaurant next door was lousy, but they do have Guinness on tap. At checkout they tried to charge me more for my third night than the first two, even though all my reservation materials clearly showed the nightly rate. This resulted in my going home without a bill and, having still not received the promised copy a week later, having to call to get a faxed bill, although it had been adjusted to the correct amount.

• Liked — Size of room, breakfast
  • Disliked — Billing problems
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled on business
3 Thank McHenryDad
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 1 February 2008

I stay in Palo Alto frequently for Business. I usually stay at the Crowne Plaza across the street. I stayed at Dinah's this time because they came in less than Crowne.

What I REALLY like about Dinah's
Bathroom amenities are terific. Toothpaste, cotton balls, q-tips, shower cap, laundry soap.
Chocolate at night on the bed
Mini Frig stocked - take for a price, but convenient
Large room compared to hotels in the area

The only downside is they don't have a large workout room. There are 2 treadmills. If you want a bar, you can go to Trader Vics to drink or Crowne Plaza across the street.

I will stay here again for sure.

• Stayed January 2008, travelled on business