“A "gussied-up" former Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge”

Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Dallas
“A "gussied-up" former Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

That was precisely the feel that this particular Sheraton properly had as I walked in through the smallish lobby. Service at the front desk was downright hostile, bordering on picking a fight. The clerk acted like I was taking valuable time away from her that she could have been spending filing her nails.

The lobby area opened directly into the pool. A small bar that looked like a basement rumpus room circa 1958 was off to the left of the lobby. My room was in the second floor of the main building, and not in the better maintained club level building next door.

While the facility was beautifully landscaped, the cheap finishes in the room, combined with the DIY Ikea-style furniture (albeit looking like it came smashed in the box from K-Mart) and the horrible service make this a no-go. I honestly didn't like much of Sheraton's properties before this, but now I will avoid them at all costs as this one was grotesquely overpriced for a Holiday Inn makeover from the last century. The only thing missing was the blood-stained shag carpeting and the disco ball.

Room Tip: Walk next door to the Westin.
Green Features: They are very environmentally friendly. They didn't bother to update the hotel since 1973.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DGfromDallas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Danville, California
Reviewed 9 April 2014

This Sheraton is marginal. It only gets away with the marginal rooms, noisy air conditioners, and incompetent staff because it is 100% full Monday through Friday. I have stayed here at least 6 times. Today I went to the gym and the treadmills were taken so I went into the adjacent room to use the elliptical machine. The room is SO CRAMPED I had to walk across the gym mat with my outside gym shoes on to get to the machine. People were lying on the mat. Dirty shoes on the mat is unsanitary. They had 3 machines. They were SO SO close together that when I attempted to get to the vacant machine, the adjacent machine that was in use struck me in the leg as that person was using it (the part that struck me was the mechanical part that goes up/down/back/forth). It drew blood and made a bruise. I went to the front desk, requested a band aid and ointment and asked to see the manager. I got the medical supplies but the manager "was not in". I cleaned up in my room and when I returned upon checkout I requested again for the manager. Instead I was told that I would "receive email correspondence from the front desk clerk". Really?! It is appalling to me that they would not discuss it with me nor remedy the situation (there was about 1.5 feet to spare on the left of the row of machines that would give them more room if they space them out better - and I suggested this). I am attaching pictures of the cramped machine situation and my leg. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SandraBaja

Travellers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The hotel is conveniently located next to CalTrain Station and in front of Stanford University. The staff is friendly and helpful and the rooms are large and comfortable. If you are sick at eating in the hotel, a mile away there are lot of joints and you can get a lot of vegetarian options (Mexican, Indian, Italian etc). This hotel is conveniently located behind the caltrain station, if you want to go to San Jose or California main city, you can not ask for more.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Oakland, California
Reviewed 22 March 2014

The hotel is conveniently located next to CalTrain Station and Stanford University. It is not cheap, but there were lots of benefits to staying there. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The grounds were pretty. The rooms were large and clean. The biggest drawback is that between the two bars and the CalTrain it wasn't exactly quiet. It didn't matter, I had an amazing night sleep, because the bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept on. When I saw that they sell their bedding online, I thought it was silly, but after sleeping in the bed, I'm thinking about buying it myself.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank nskinner67
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 20 March 2014

Avoid room 2027 by all means. It's located right above the elevator mechanical room so my room feels like in the middle of the manufacturing factory. Noise and shake every 30 seconds until 1 am and after 6 am. Paid $300 for this room for an important conference. Miraculously I scored 5 hour sleep but most people won't be able to sleep.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Conftrave
Grand Forks, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2014

You get a sense of how your stay will be from the minute you walk in the room. You are greeted by a sour stale smell, like an airplane cabin that just disembarked 200 people from a trans-atlantic flight. Try turning on the AC but warning - it will be noisy. After that, you can listen to listen to the loud trickle of the toilet and waterall-like noises coming from the ice maker across the hall. Since I was in a patio-level room, i could also hear the bar patrons yukking it up until 10:30.
The one bright note for the stay was that the bed was comfy.
Unfortunately for travellers, hotel prices in Palo Alto are high given the demand, So hotels in the area charge top dollar but provide low to mediocre accomodations.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, request a room on an upper level, not facing the pool.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank shobie5
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I love that this hotel is literally right next to the Palo Alto CalTrain station and it took me 2 minutes (once I figured out where it was) to get there from the station. As a Platinum, I was given a decent size room on the Club Floor in the Stanford building.

The bed was comfortable and I enjoyed being provided breakfast at the Poolside Grill restaurant; however, I found the layout of the hotel to be a bit strange. The walls of the hotel are very thin, as I kept hearing noise throughout the evening and early morning. I was awaken by the hotel staff delivering the breakfast coupon in front of my door around 7am as they knocked on my door on a Saturday morning. The Club Lounge was unstaffed during my stay, where I was able to open the door of the lounge, but found that it didn't really have anything at all. Lastly, the television had no signal at various points during my stay and when it was working, it was highly pixelated. When I complained about this, i was told that someone would come to the room to look at the problem, but this never happened.

The staff was friendly enough at check-in and check-out, but I found my experience to be not so great. The staff at the Poolside Grill though were super helpful and provided a wonderful breakfast experience.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
#6 of 27 in Palo Alto
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!