“Great location and service make this a solid choice!!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Santa Rosa, CA
“Great location and service make this a solid choice!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

Spent a Saturday night here with a party of 3. Lots of hotel staff, very engaging, and very competent. Check-in was smooth and room was terrific (1097). A big international hotel destination which made the people watching lots of fun. Early morning coffee bar and complimentary newspapers were nice touches. Starwood membes get late check-outs -- used this while shopping at nearby Stanford Shopping Center. Thought the buffet breakfast was a wonderfully prepared varietey of foods, plus eggs cooked to order, omellettes, too. Had drinks around the pool with propane heating. This was the night of the 6.1 earthquake in Napa -- we were awakened by the jarring of the bed but the premises withstood the quake just fine. All good here.

Room Tip: First floor rooms may have lanai with chairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank MangoChetney
Gurpreet K, Manager at Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear MangoChetney,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location and service to your liking. I'm sorry to hear that you were awoken by the earthquake in Napa. I hope that did not affect your travels. If you are ever in the Palo Alto area, we hope you choose us again.

With warmth,

Gurpreet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2014

I had a very good stay here because I read the reviews on tripadvisor and other sites. Therefore, I was aware of the noise problems especially from the nearby trains. So when I made my reservation I asked for a quiet room away from the train station on a higher floor (I got the 4th) facing the pond area (not the swimming pool) and I tiold them that I didn't mind walking a distance to get to the room. The result, I had a very quiet room where I didn't hear the trains (and maybe it was the timing) or any other noises even from the adjacent rooms.
The hotel itself is somewhat old school/motelish. The room itself was reasonable large; the bed not too soft or hard; and the bathroom pretty much standard with a shower/tub combo. The only problem that I encountered is that I could not figure out how to adjust the thermostat, although I didn't bother to call the front desk because I am that lazy. There is a small work-out room with three stairmasters and three elipticals and a rack of weights.
The staff members were uniformily friendly and helpful - especially Felix at the front desk. The patio restaurant next to the pool was fine. I didn't eat at any of the other venues.
The hotel is about a 15 minute walk from downtown Palo Alto and the Stanford University campus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the pond on a higher floor.
Green Features: I chose not to have maid service because I was only there two days and they gave me $5 a day in vouchers usable at the hotel restaurants.
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank resipsaloquitur
Hello Resipsaloquitur,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. I am happy to hear that we were able to accommodate you a nice room facing the water garden. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the thermostat and assure you that it will be taken care of for our next guest. We appreciate your kind words about Felix. He is an asset to our team and we love having him here. We hope to welcome you again to our property the next time you are in this area.

Best,

Bellevue, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

I spent a week at the Palo Alto Sheraton this month, so I was able to get a good glimpse of their operation.

First impression - The check-in staff were friendly and positive people, even at 11pm. They were very helpful in getting situated and genuinely nice to deal with. No issues, no confusion,...
This mindset carries across to all of their staff that I met. All were courteous and friendly with an apparent zeal for making their guests feel at home. It worked.

Room - My first room was clean (I ended up switching just to have a single bed instead of two) but it had an odd smell. As if some food had been spilled long ago and not shampooed up. My second room was much better in that regard. I overlooked the courtyard which was pleasant by day, and quiet by night compared to the back of the hotel which is next to the Cal Train tracks.

TIP****get a room facing the pool/courtyard. You'll be much happier not having the train whistle/vibration/noise wake you up starting around 5am and continuing all day.

I tend to only want me room cleaned every other day or every 3rd day. Mainly because I'm working out of the room and leaving for a few hours to let them clean doesn't really fit the schedule. However, they were gracious and accommodating to my schedule when I asked for a specific time to have my room serviced and they met it on the dot. My only knock is that the glass topped coffee table and bedside table were not dusted and apparently had not been in quite some time.

Overall, if you have to stay

Room Tip: Courtyard/pool facing rooms are much quieter. Avoid the back of the hotel because of the train trac...
Dear Dino-pravo,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your complements about our staff. Our housekeeping staff will be delighted to hear of your experience with their service. I am sorry that you faced some issues with your rooms at the time of your arrival. I understand that can be very frustrating. I'm glad our front office staff was able to change you over to a room that was more to your liking. I hope we have the pleasure to host you again in the near future.

Warmest regards,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

This Sheraton is only acceptable because of its location in silicon valley. Everywhere else it would be overpriced. No mini bar, no safe in the room. The carpets are old and dirty (4th floor) and the interior is from the 80s. The wine selection in the resto is decent but not more. It's still one of the better ones in Palo Alto but again, in any other city it would be unacceptable.

Room Tip: Specifically ask for a room with patio or balcony.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear TobiJoe,

Please accept my apologies that your stay was not up to our usual standards. I will make sure your feedback is shared with our management team so we may address the concerns brought up. I would appreciate you reaching out to me personally so I may make an effort to ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations.

Kindest regards,

Travellers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

Malibu, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I've stayed at the Sheraton a few times for business this year. While the location is good the hotel is average at best. Rooms are large & clean but it appears that this was once a "motor hotel" so not much they can do about that.
There are train tracks out back so no matter which part of the hotel you stay in you WILL hear them. Be prepared not to sleep late.
Book very early as the rates increase to the point of crazy from $235 a month in advance to over $550 the week / day prior.

• Stayed June 2014
Hello 4kona,

Please allow me to apologize for not meeting your expectations for your most recent stay with us. I understand the noise from the train can be frustrating. Please reach out to me personally if you are ever in the Palo Alto area so I may seize the opportunity to place you in a quiet room to your liking. We want to welcome you again and hope you will give us another chance.

With warmth,

Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

The Sheraton is across the street from the Stanford University campus, just a few steps away from a large mall and the Town and Country shopping center that has many restaurants and nice boutiques, and just a couple of blocks away from the down town University Avenue and surrounding area which has many restaurants, bars, and stores. From the moment we set foot in the hotel to when we left, the service was outstanding. All employees were courteous, helpful and friendly, and this includes the telephone reservation agents.
Another feature I liked very much , was the centrally located pool with the surrounding seating area with restaurant and bar service. Enjoy it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Hello Cartherine R,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the Tripadvisor community. I am pleased to hear that you found our location convenient to your travels. I too love how close of a walk we are to the restaurant and bars in downtown Palo Alto. I thank you for your complements of our staff and know they will be delighted hearing your kind words. I hope to welcome you and your family again to our property in the near future.

Kindest regards,

Naples, Italy
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Sheraton used to be a chain of nice clean and confortable hotels. This one is not. The rooms are spacious but not very clean. The baths need a serious refurbishement. The pool is filthy and the poolside "beds" are so dirty and old that it is almost impossible to sit on them.

Room Tip: Far away from the pool and the small pond.... the fountains are terribly noisy.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Giulonragu,

Thank you for your feedback via TripAdvisor. I am sorry to hear that we did not live up to expectations and would appreciate the opportunity to make amends. Please reach out to me personally at gkaur@pahotel.com.

I hope to hear from you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Palo Alto
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park
Garden Court Hotel
Garden Court Hotel
#5 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!