“Serviceable and clean”

Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
New York City, New York
“Serviceable and clean”
Reviewed 8 September 2009

I have stayed at the Sheraton Palo Alto twice and each time have had a pleasant experience. I travel to the area often on business and generally stay in the Westin right next door but on those two occasions was unable to book a room there. The rooms are not as nice as those in the Westin (decor is somewhat cheap) but always clean and well maintained. The service is still good, with a responsive and friendly staff. Location is great as the hotel is within a 5-10 minute walk to downtown Palo Alto. The hotel itself has a sprawling campus with multiple buildings, which is not fun to navigate through for the first time and can be confusing. You get acclimated to it but it can still be a pain if you have multiple members in your party and get rooms in different buildings. One big thing I missed was the wonderful multi-head showers and large bathrooms they had at the Westin, which were not available in the Sheraton. Overall, the hotel is a good place to stay if you are traveling on a lower budget and are there for business or visiting the area in general.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 14 July 2009

For our 3 year anniversary I picked to stay at this hotel. I'm originally from Palo Alto and now live in Vegas so I knew the area. Your really close the Stanford University and clsoe to shops and restaurants.

The people working there are nice, we sat at the bar one night and it was very enjoyable. Sitting next to the pool with a fire and just relaxing!

Rooms are very roomy, we got the room with the view to the koi pond. Very nice, although you could barely see it because of the big trees. It's not the best hotel I have stayed in, but it does the job and I really cant complain about anything. Location is everything to me and this met it.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 July 2009

In general my wife and I were pleased with the Sheraton Palo Alto when we recently stayed here for 2 nights while in town for a wedding. The check-in process was a breeze as a gold SPG member, we were then given a lagoon view room on the 3rd floor with a balcony, which was pleasently surprising. The general layout of the hotel and pool area was nice as well.

However, Sheraton needs to address the excuse for a gym on the 1st floor. There are two tiny adjoining rooms that have 4 treadmills, a couple of bikes, elliptical, and free weights. There are tvs in both little rooms, but 1 didn't work. The rooms were extremely hot, and again only 1 of 2 AC's in the gym worked. The overall feel of the gym left a lot to be desired. Sheraton would do well to thing about relocating the gym to a higher floor, and refurbish an area where people will actually enjoy working out. It is clear the gym in this hotel is merely an after-thought. The other major issue we had was with parking. When we arrived home from the wedding on Saturday night, we were sitting in a line of 5 cars that were all stuck outside the parking gate as the system locked out all guests and their respective room keys from the parking area. Finally we all teamed up to lift up the gate for each other's car so we could get in. And sure enough when we departed on Sunday the gate still would not open by swiping the key and there was no attendent on duty. It took us going to the lobby to have someone come out and raise the gate. Oh, and their "business center" consists of 2 computers in the lobby. Not quite roomy or quiet to do any work. And the internet in the rooms cost money, another astounding thing in this day and age where many hotels offer this as a complimentary service.

If Sheraton can work on resolving the gym, parking situation, business center, and internet, then I would recommend the property.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 2 July 2009

I recently stayed at the Sheraton in Palo Alto in June 2009. Upon arrival, I was greeted by friendly reception staff.

I was quite tired from travel and since I am a Starwood Preferred Guest, I was upgraded to a corner room with a view of the water pond. My colleague is not a SPG but was upgraded to a room with a balcony with chairs overlooking the pond nonetheless. The bell hop was courteous and quickly gathered my luggage and several boxes of materials that had been pre-shipped to the hotel in preparation of my arrival.

I was pleased with the location and size of my guestroom. It had all of the standard amenities I require as well as several nice upgrades. During my stay, I enjoyed dinner at the Poolside Grill. Dinner was fresh and inspiring, however, the "rare" seared tuna I ordered was overcooked. I had several martinis- all were prepared excellently. I order breakfast delivery one morning- my food arrived on time, however, it was a bit cold.

My best feature at this hotel, in my opinion, is its proximity to Stanford University. Since my business trip required several days of meetings at Stanford, the hotel's location was superb. It is literally within walking distance.

My primary suggestion for the hotel is that they improve the sound-proofing of the rooms. My hotel room was next to a couple who were up until very late at night. Additionally, one night, a couple of guests got into an argument in the hall at around 4am. Their scuffle woke me up and kept me awake for nearly an hour. I called the front desk about the commotion. The night manager told me that the security guard would handle it. I was not happy that the dissolution of the loud argument in the hall took over an hour.

Overall, I was very pleased with the location, amenities, quality of service and attention I received while staying at the Sheraton Palo Alto and I will consider it for future events.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Manalapan, New Jersey
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We had a very bad experience to start our stay. We get to our first room and there is absolutely no soundproofing. We heard everything going on the hallway (and it was very loud because the hotel was filled with student athletes). That is not what you want when trying to sleep.

Then, I go the front desk to complain about the noise. They put me in a new room. You would expect quiet -- but no, it was right next to the elevator so you kept hearing all the mechanical noises as the elevator goes up and down and up and down. (The third room was quiet, but why should it take 3 rooms).

This room then had problems with the internet connection. The highspeed internet wire was not connected to anything, so of course it would not work. When I explained the problem, they tried to tell me how to use the password. I kept explaining that was not the problem and it took 10 minuted for them to understand and then send someone to fix it.

besides the noise, the hotel was ok, but I much prefer the Westin just next store. I will not be back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
New Delhi
Reviewed 14 May 2009

at 10pm the firealarm goes off suddenly. we all rush out only to be informed it is a malfunction. the room was noisy and there was no sound proofing so I could hear other rooms

Stayed May 2009, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

Palo Alto, CA
Reviewed 10 April 2009

We recently held our wedding at the Sheraton Palo Alto and everything was perfect! I've been to many weddings before and often the planning and organization is chaotic. Thanks to the fantastic wedding coordinator I worked with over the course of several months, everything went just as I wanted. I worked closely with the coordinator to get every detail correct, and she patiently went through all of my questions with me. I am a very detail-oriented person and I had every question/issue addressed to my satisfaction. The wedding packages they have are also a great deal. Instead of charging for every individual component (such as linen, silverware, chair covers etc), everything was all included in the price per head. In one of the packages, they even include the wedding cake, about which I received numerous compliments. They also assigned a sales coordinator to deal with hotel blocks, which was perfect. We had more guests than anticipated stay at the Sheraton and our sales coordinator made sure everybody received discounted rooms. On the day of the wedding, the reception room was beautifully set up, exactly as I requested. The lighting was perfect, and the food was delicious. The catering staff checked in with me occasionally to make sure everything was all right but they handled everything on their own without bothering me, enabling me to enjoy my big day without any stress. My guests told me that the service was great, and that the bar drinks were particularly appealing. Nobody rushed us out and we danced away until midnight. An additional bonus was that parking was validated for our guests that night. The guest bedrooms were on the small size considering the price. However, the accommodations were very nice. The beds were comfortable with nice sheets, and the decor was nice. The only downside to the rooms is the lack of free internet access. We received a free room as bride/groom. The catering manager helped us move all the wedding gifts to our room at the end of the evening, which was great since the last thing I wanted to deal with at that point was clean-up and moving gifts. Then in our room, we were greeted by champagne, chocolate covered strawberries, and a welcome note. It was a very nice end to the evening. The Sheraton also has a restaurant, which serves tasty food. The breakfast buffet was nice for the guests the next morning. The food is a little pricey but this is a hotel in the downtown Palo Alto area so it is to be expected. Another bonus is the proximity to downtown University Ave and the Caltrain station.

All in all, A+ for the Sheraton Palo Alto! My wedding went perfectly and service was phenomenal. I only had to take care of the outside vendors and the people at the Sheraton took care of the rest. Thanks for a great experience! There's nothing like walking away from your own wedding with utter and complete satisfaction.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Creekside Inn - A Greystone Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
Stanford Park Hotel
#1 of 10 in Menlo Park

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!