The location is great. You're within walking distance of downtown Palo Alto, the campus and arguably the Stanford Shopping Mall. The people who work there are also nice and good at their jobs.
The rest, however, is the worst I've experienced at any Starwood hotel (including less expensive brands) anywhere in the world:
- room was out-dated and old. It didn't include little things like mini-bar, safe or even a pen in the desk drawer.
- bathroom was nasty. It was tiny with a sliding door that was tough to close and made loud squeaking noises that made overcoming jet lag tougher than it normally was.
- internet access was flaky. They charged us $10/day for service that worked sporadically and when we called the # for support the service told us they no longer supported the hotel. The guy at the front desk did his best but he wasn't a tech support guy.
- the club room wasn't worth using. I'm not a picky coffee guy but the stuff that came out of the machine was inedible.
- our room keys (cards) kept failing. we had to take them back to the desk 3x because they stopped working. You also use them to get in/out of the parking lot so that was especially inconvenient.
- the hotel was run down and messy. there was a box of trash (pieces of wood, used coffee cups, etc.) in the stairwell we took from the parking lot to our room. we stayed for 5 days. it was there when we arrived and there when we left.
- expensive amenities. $10/day for parking and they also charged us $10 for a 1 page fax to Hong Kong. I would understand charging so much in 1989 when a minute overseas was $4 but not in 2010.
All of that said, if you're a Starwood points chump and you need to stay in Palo Alto, this is still your best bet. From what I could tell, the Westin next door didn't look any better and was more expensive. And as I said before, the location is great.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel is a luxury accommodation in Silicon Valley near Stanford University and San Francisco Bay Area attractions like Fisherman's Wharf, Union Square, Chinatown, and Napa Valley. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sheraton Palo Alto
- Palo Alto Sheraton