“Pet friendly hotel with incredible staff” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
Ranked #15 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Westlake Village, California
“Pet friendly hotel with incredible staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2010

My family drove up to Palo Alto last weekend. We selected the Sheraton Palo Alto as it was the only hotel within a reasonable distance from where we needed to be that would allow us to bring our dog - a 65lb Shepherd.

The hotel room we stayed in was a little small and fairly basic in terms of amenities. However, the incredible staff more than made up for the lack of frills in the room. Everyone we came across during our stay went out of their way to ensure that all our needs were attended to quickly and courteously. I had called ahead of our arrival to let the hotel know that we were traveling with a pet, and when we got to our room, we found that food bowls and a bed had already been set up.

We travel frequently as a family, and I have found that the people we encounter during our journeys often set the tone of our vacation. The friendliness and attentiveness of the staff at this hotel went a long way in making our stay at the Sheraton Palo Alto a pleasant and comfortable experience - one that I would repeat, despite the very basic amenities that the hotel provided.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
petersam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

The hotel was nice, but not great. The rooms were in good condition, but nothing to write home about. I found the hotel layout to be confusing, with multiple buildings and a maze of hallways. The staff was very helpful though, helping me find my way around when I got lost.

My main complaint is the gym. It doesn't open before 6 AM and when you do go in, you'll notice that there's only three excercise machines - for a hotel with 1000 rooms! I was totally underwhelmed by this Sheraton.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank petersam
Minneapolis, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2010

I stayed here two nights while on business in Palo Alto.
The location, right next to the CalTran station, downtown Palo Alto and Stanford is fantastic! When I looked at it on a map, I canceled my rental car and took public transportation to get to the hotel from SFO....perfect.
The rooms are functional, great beds, flat screen TV, wireless internet for a fee. I couldn't find a reason to pay more to stay at the Westin right next door.
I was blown away by the friendliness and great attitude demonstrated by all of the employees I met during my stay. The cleaners and maintenance folks I passed in the halls always smiled and greeted me.
I walked everywhere I needed to go and, for my money, there is no better option than the Sheraton.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2010

Nooooooooo Starwood, what did you do?! Why is this hotel a Sheraton? The hotel was in a bad shape, with a dirty look and feel, and worn out rooms and corridors.
Oh and don't expect to sleep well with the railway tracks just behind the hotel.
The issue is that you pay the Sheraton price for that! Would be an acceptable motel for $59 but not ok for a $150 Sheraton!
Fellow travelers: don't hesitate to chip in the extra $10 or $20 to get a room at the Westin across the street! I still regret my error of judgment.
The funny side of this hotel is that it's crowded with laptop-equipped tech-geeks visiting the surrounding universities so when you hang out around the pool you feel like a guest star in a The Big Bang Theory episode! :)

• Stayed August 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Maast

Travellers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2010

The best part about this hotel is the location, it is very close to Stanford and downtown Palo Alto. The hotel itself isn't anything special, and the building I stayed in is far from the lobby. The pool area is nice, and the rooms are pretty basic but clean. There are computers in the lobby area that guests can use free of charge. My least favorite part of the hotel is the parking fee.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2010

Our flight was delayed from LA and we only reached the hotel at 3am so we were expecting a quick and good check-in. Not happening. We entered the lobby and there was no one there, not a good sign. Aftrer waiting 5mins, I had to go into their backroom and get a staff out! After struggling with my check-in for 5mins, and since there were 2 of us, he went back and got another staff out of the backroom! They both then spent the next 15mins fumbling through the system, and it was so painfully slow. Finally they released us and we got to our rooms. And of course, they got my room wrong. I asked for a king bed and got double beds instead. I called them and they basically said I checked in late and they ran out, too bad. So besides not giving me what I want, they didn't even bother to tell me at check-in. I check in into 40 hotels a year, and this is the 2nd worst I had to endure in the last 10 years. The room was not much better than the service, though it had a flat screen plasma. But there was no toothbrush and I had to ask for shampoo which they claim was in the room. I paid 2 nights' stay for 18 hours and I am just glad I got out as fast as I could

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Palo Alto, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2010

The location is great. You're within walking distance of downtown Palo Alto, the campus and arguably the Stanford Shopping Mall. The people who work there are also nice and good at their jobs.

The rest, however, is the worst I've experienced at any Starwood hotel (including less expensive brands) anywhere in the world:
- room was out-dated and old. It didn't include little things like mini-bar, safe or even a pen in the desk drawer.
- bathroom was nasty. It was tiny with a sliding door that was tough to close and made loud squeaking noises that made overcoming jet lag tougher than it normally was.
- internet access was flaky. They charged us $10/day for service that worked sporadically and when we called the # for support the service told us they no longer supported the hotel. The guy at the front desk did his best but he wasn't a tech support guy.
- the club room wasn't worth using. I'm not a picky coffee guy but the stuff that came out of the machine was inedible.
- our room keys (cards) kept failing. we had to take them back to the desk 3x because they stopped working. You also use them to get in/out of the parking lot so that was especially inconvenient.
- the hotel was run down and messy. there was a box of trash (pieces of wood, used coffee cups, etc.) in the stairwell we took from the parking lot to our room. we stayed for 5 days. it was there when we arrived and there when we left.
- expensive amenities. $10/day for parking and they also charged us $10 for a 1 page fax to Hong Kong. I would understand charging so much in 1989 when a minute overseas was $4 but not in 2010.

All of that said, if you're a Starwood points chump and you need to stay in Palo Alto, this is still your best bet. From what I could tell, the Westin next door didn't look any better and was more expensive. And as I said before, the location is great.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
#1 of 9 in Menlo Park
Garden Court Hotel
Garden Court Hotel
#5 of 27 in Palo Alto

Been to Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel? Share your experiences!