“Smoky Room - Rude, Arrogant Manager”

Comfort Inn Palo Alto
Ranked #20 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Sydney, Australia
“Smoky Room - Rude, Arrogant Manager”
Reviewed 25 June 2010

Immediately after I checked into my room, it was obvious that a heavy smoker had stayed there even though the hotel and all rooms were "non-smoking". When I spoke to the manager about changing rooms, he stated curtly that it was against their policy for me to change rooms, even though there were many other rooms available. His demeanor was arrogant and dismissive as if he had better things to do than deal with this issue. He said he would send a maid with "spray" and a machine which would freshen the air. The machine never materialized and the spray had no effect whatsoever on the smokiness. I should have walked away but he would not refund my money for that night so I cancelled the rest of the week and moved to a much classier hotel for the rest of the week. Very disappointing experience. Needless to say, I wwon't be staying there again.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank N S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Walnut Creek, California
Reviewed 23 May 2010

Staying two nights at this Comfort Inn was the worst experience I have ever had in a hotel!! We stayed there because they were listed as the host hotel for a horse show at Woodside. The first night, we were awakened at 4:00 AM by voices outside our room. They were so loud and continued so long we called the front desk. They finally got quiet. I never expected the same scenario to repeat the next night but it did at 3:30 and this time continued for an hour. Calling the front desk did no good. We looked out our window and saw that they have some contract with an ambulance service who come and go all night. They put us in the next room! The paramedics talked loudly each time they went out to their truck, and when they came back. As if this wasn't enough, the mattress gave me a terrible backache, and they charged us more than the listed rate. When I complained, they showed me a receipt my young daughter signed checking in and made me pay the higher rate. Never try this dump!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank AchyBack

Travellers are raving about these Palo Alto hotels

Seattle
Reviewed 2 May 2010

Nothing fancy here. The room was a little stuffy and opened out to the parking area (rather than an internal hallway). Free wi-fi was great.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Reno
Reviewed 23 February 2010

The accommodations were clean and just fine for a 2-star. although the heater was a bit noisy. Convenient to almost anything you'd want in Palo Alto and even an all-night doughnut shop across the street. Thoroughly satisfactory for the price.
My issue: I came back very late to my room (2 a.m.) after visiting with family in the area. First I couldn't get the TV to work: there were no instructions, and the next morning it turned out that I needed to put it on Channel 2--it didn't say that anywhere in the room. So I gave up on the TV and decided to check my email, but it turned out that I would have had to ask for a special password. When I had checked in that afternoon, I asked it there was free wireless, and the clerk said "yes" but did not mention the password.
I walked down to the front office, but it was locked, and I decided not to disturb the desk clerk, who was obviously in the back somewhere, I thought perhaps sleeping. That was my fault, I guess, but by this time it was 2:30 a.m., and I gave up and went to bed. A few more instructions would have been very helpful.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled solo
Helsinki
Reviewed 30 December 2009

Good, basic inn. Stayed there for one night, and no complaints whatsoever. Room was average-sized, clean and quiet. Free wi-fi. Breakfast was quite nice (bread, eggs, waffles, fruit, yoghurt etc). The front desk staff were always friendly and we were able to check in and out quickly and without hassle. Comfort Inn is within a few minutes' drive of Stanford, so the location is quite good.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 1 September 2009

The Comfort Inn was clean, comfortable, and relatively inexpensive. The walls are not paper thin, so noise from outside and other guests was not an issue as with other cheap chains. A respectable room and the hotel is close to Stanford. No frills, but also no "eeewww!" either.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Gothenburg
Reviewed 1 September 2009

The staff is very helpful and the rooms were clean and well maintained (not only in the obvious places but all around). The neighboorhood was good and there was not too much noise from El Camino Real, even though there is quite a lot of traffic. The internet is fast enough for checking e-mails and surfing the web. It worked satisfactory for streaming videos and music. For being a "continental breakfast" the breakfast was great. I found everything that I'm used to in the morning, cereal, fruit, english muffins, eggs, yoghurt, juice, coffee, basically the lot. I especially appreciated the waffles!
It's good value for the money, it's clean and it is only a 7 minute drive from Stanford campus.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business