“Unusually friendly staff”

Ranked #8 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Okehampton, United Kingdom
“Unusually friendly staff”
Reviewed 20 September 2013

The hotel looks like a standard business hotel from the outside, but I found it very pleasant on an 8-day business stay. The pool was a relief, often I was the only person in it, and it is quite large. Word of caution to those with small children - it is 11 feet deep at one end. There was never any issue of finding a lounger exactly where I wanted.

The rooms are fairly standard, with good (but noisy) aircon. The 'fridge was useful. The TV controls were laborious, taking 6 clicks to get to a TV channel.

If you are working, bring your mouse-mat because the desk is covered in a sheet of glass (modern mice don't like that). The WiFi was fast enough for my needs, reliable, and connected seamlessly each day (I only had to enter the password once).

Room service was quick and accurate. The food was good quality, but the menu could do with a few more choices - I tried every one. Disappointingly the restaurant menu was not much different. There are several restaurants around for variety.

Most certainly this hotel's best asset is its staff. It is no use naming individuals, they are all cheerful, helpful, and efficient. In particular the shuttle drivers always did their best to get me to my destination on time, and knew the area well. Take note of that shuttle, it takes you within 5 miles of the hotel for free. There is only one vehicle, so make sure you book it in advance (times on the half-hour).

1 Thank Clive D
Chris J, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
CliveD,

Thanks you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent 8 day stay at the hotel. I am pleased that you had the time to enjoy our pool area. We also appreciate the nice comments about our staff. I look forward to reading your review to the entire team at this month's all team meeting.

We are making some improvements that will improve the television experience in our rooms, as we are going to a new DirectTV HD system that should be fully operational by the end of October. So no more 6 clicks to get to a channel as the experience will be more similar to what you are accustomed to at home.

We look forwarding to welcoming you back to Palo Alto.

Chris Jones

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Jersey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 September 2013

Even though I rate it as average I always stay here when I visit Silicon Valley. Why ? Well, it's clean and comfortable, convenient for businesses throughout the area, and it has a bit if history and soul in a fairly soulless environment. Also, it has a great pool - although its outdoor and not heated so you are dependent on the weather.
Downsides : the food is pretty poor and it's very busy with functions so as guest I often feel I am in the way rather than being looked after.

GDM70,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on from your recent stay. We are glad that you always choose us when staying in Palo Alto! Our location in the heart of silicon valley makes us a great choice for people doing business in our area. I am disappointed to hear about your experience with our food, but I am pleased to tell you that we have hired a new chef, and he will be refreshing our menu within the next month. So please when you are with us again, give our restaurant another chance to win you over.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed here for a week and had a nice time in the area.
The hotel looks very good, but there were a couple of things that show the staff need some customer service training. In first place we had to go through some stairs that we couldn't avoid with the elevator but no one offered us any help even though we had a lot of lugage. On the way to the room we show a tray with food scraps in the corridor and it was there for almost 24 hours!! it didn't happen just once.
We were given a room on the first floor, the last one on the left. The room was very big and very nicely decorated as well as clean, the only problem was the lack of privacy (a lot of people walk through that corridor so ask for other room if you want some privacy).
The back door of the hotel is just down the stairs, it would have been nice if it would have worked all the time so we didn't have to walk from the parking to the front door and back to our room.

In spite of this we did have a very nice stay there.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the first floor if you want privacy
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
EvaP,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay. I am very disappointed that someone from our team did not offer to help you with your luggage. Please accept my apologies as that is not acceptable and we should have done a better job to help you when you arrived and get to your room.

I am pleased that you did state that you had a very nice stay with us. I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to our area.

nyc
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Strange there aren't more hotels in this area given proximity to Stanford and Silicon Valley companies, but this one seems to be the biggest in this area. The place was well kept. The staff was very nice. The rooms were well maintained and updated, but there was some small oddities. For instance, they have a beautiful courtyard in the middle with a pool. Yet, you can walk across it if your room is on the other side of the hotel, without opening and shutting all the pool gates. And unfortunately, all the doors to the rooms faced outward, not towards the courtyard. Getting to the room was also strange - the rooms in the back require you to walk outside and around the hotel. Also, the closet in the room was located in the bathroom. They obviously made the bathroom bigger and needed to put the closet in it to fit, but still strange.

Overall - a good hotel, I'd stay again, but just some strange items.

sbrita,

Thank you for writing a review of your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. Thanks for mentioning our convenient location next to Stanford and all of Silicon Valley's high-tech companies. I appreciate you mentioning our staff as being very nice.

We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel during your next visit to Palo Alto.

Mahopac, New York
Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

rooms clean, EXCELLENT coffee!, driving distance to, well, everywhere you could need or want...
we took day trip to Santa Cruz-
well worth it.
close to Stanford & downtown Palo Alto.
warm & welcoming staff, willing to go extra mile to attend to ur needs.

I will definitely stay there again the next time I'm in the area....

& point of interest: the Beatles stayed there in 1963 (maybe rm 810?)

• Stayed August 2013
marekm108,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the hotel. I look forward to sharing with the team your kind word about how they took care of you! Warm and welcoming is what we strive for! The hotel definitely has some history, with the Beatles visit back in the 60's! We have some fans that chose our Beatles suite just for that reason.

We look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to the area. Again, thank you for your kind words.

San Marcos, California
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Upon arrival to my room, I found a handwritten welcome note, and a fruit and cheese plate. Very nice! The room was great, very modern, quiet and easy to work from in the evenings. The pool and restaurant were both great, especially the pool. But most of all, the service was excellent. The staff were very helpful and friendly. I highly recommend the Crowne Plaza in Palo Alto.

Room Tip: get a ground floor room by the pool
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
GaryLomayesva,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Palo Alto. I am glad you apprecatiated the fruit and cheese plate in your room! Most appreciated are the nice comments about our staff! I look forward to sharing your review with the team, as they appreciate the nice recognition from guests such as yourself.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Palo Alto!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My girlfriend and I came to Palo Alto to get away and found the Cabana CP to be a pleasant experience. All of the staff was very attentive and they even have a shuttle van to take you to the heart of Palo Alto action. I recommend Old Pro for beer towers. We had a long night out in Palo Alto and could barley move and had a great Sunday brunch with a pitcher of orange juice some champagne and our great Jacuzzi tub to help us through the day. Pool area was great with lots of seating. Staff was very friendly and accommodating without being intrusive.

Clearly the senior leadership at the hotel is on point.

Room Tip: Go for the Jacuzzi tubs its the right thing to do.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple