“$250 Motel with lousy service. Don't stay here...”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I stayed here on business travel and now I'm recommending that it be taken off their list of preferred locations.

The hotel is in need of repair and it does not resemble the ambiance that they try to portray on their site. The pool was closed even though the outdoor pools at neighboring locations was open. Throughout the hotel many things were only half repaired. It's as if repairs started and they ran out of funds.

There are garish lights positioned above every window that shine through the curtains. They would not turn these lights off but offered a curtain clip instead. The clips do not keep all of the light out of the room. I had enough light that I could still read my newspaper.

The hotel is an older building and the walls are thin. I could hear the elevators all night long. I could hear conversations in the hallways.

To top it all off they refused to help me with the billing situation. They were supposed to bill the employer and now they have billed both of us. They are argumentative and completely unwilling to try to help solve the situation.

The best part of my stay was the free shuttle service. The gentleman that drove the shuttle was also quite a good conversationalist.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the pool side since they don't have lights shining into their windows.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kirk E
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations on several areas.

Regarding our pool hours, I'll certainly look into extending the hours to accommodate early morning or late night usage. I will just need to find a balance between the happiness of the pool guests as well as the quietness requested by those guests in poolside rooms.

Regarding the garish lights, I do agree and we are already working with an exterior lighting company to improve our lighting to not come into the guestroom windows, but to illuminate the exterior.

And my apologies regarding our poor hospitality about your billing. This is not my expectation of hospitality from our employees and we should have got it right the first time. I'll have one of my team members reach out to you on this matter to mend our mistake.

And thank you for your nice comments about our shuttle driver and shuttle service.

Matt Swanson
matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com
650.628.0124

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Great stay and wonderful staff. Thumbs up also on the Crown Plaza shuttle van free parking and internet. Lots of great food close by walking distance.Thank you I give them a 10 A+ great rates
Came to see my son play baseball. Stanford vs Oregon came with 8 falimy members

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Baseball4mykids

Thank you so very much for choosing us as your preferred hotel while on your trip to see your son play baseball! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to share it with our employees...it will brighten their day!

Cheers...Matt

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Had a nice stay here, friendly staff, but had a couple of issues.
1 left my jacket in the bar one night, asked 5 members of staff about it, promised to ask house keeping, check lost property everything, but nobody found it, until I bumped into the night security guard who said, yeh we have it, it has been in housekeeping all week :-(
2 new omelette bar at breakfast. One thing I love in America is the chef cooking fresh omelettes for you, but no such luck here, running scrambled eggs.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank John H
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2014

Thank you John for choosing to stay with us during your trip to the Silicon Valley and I really appreciate your feedback on your stay. Thank you for your nice comments on our employees, I do agree, we have wonderful people here who are ever striving to make our guests happy on all fronts!

My apologies on how we were not able to quickly find your jacket. I know how frustrating it can be to lose an important article of clothing when traveling. And your feedback will allow us to retrain our people on our lost and found standard operating procedures to ensure this does not happen again.

Could not agree more regarding a chef on the floor cooking fresh omelettes for our guests. This is on my radar to work on the logistics with my Executive Chef so we can roll it out in the near future.

Once again, thank you for your honest feedback since it allows us to improve our overall hospitality that our guests receive.

Should you have any other feedback to share, please don't hesitate to e-mail me at matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com

Reviewed 21 March 2014 via mobile

They quote a rate and then bate and switch to an average price per night. Even the 2 desk clerks had a different explanation for the rate discrepancy! No valet. No service. Old and dated! Check out any other hotel before you choose this one!

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Lngggg
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I do apologize for any issue there was with the rate. To better help me understand what occurred, can you please e-mail me at matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com? I would like to understand and also find a way to make it up to you.

Kid regards,

Matt Swanson

Reviewed 15 March 2014

$400 a night after driving past a Four Seasons, ouch. Hotel looks as if it were updated from an original Holiday Inn from the 60's by adding a mid-rise tower in the front of the former hotel (just my guess). Definitely dated but room was clean, bed was very comfortable, heat/cooling worked well, modern tv. Desk could have used an outlet, wireless was fine (and free). Walking past the dining area was sad, both for dinner and breakfast. Bar was empty throughout the week. Front desk staff were friendly and helpful when asked. Exercise room had adequate equipment and wasn't crowded (early morning) though the water was empty and no drink cups were to be seen.

Look elsewhere.

Room Tip: The "cabanas" are from what appears to be an old, original Holiday Inn motel. You'll...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Food_Snob_PA
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to give us your perspective on your stay. With it, we can learn and improve!

We are actively working with our management and ownership to prioritize our areas of opportunity so we can begin to make improvements.

And I'm delighted that you gave us high marks in cleanliness, heating/cooling, bed comfort, and that our front desk team was friendly...thank you!

My apologies that the water in the fitness center was was empty. I've re-engaged with my team to ensure we are not letting this happen moving forward.

You are correct on the era when we were built, we were built in 1962. Jay Sarno, the same person who designed and built Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas in 1966, designed and built our hotel.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you will return in the future.

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Spent a few nights here during a business trip. Have some familiarity with the Crowne Plaza brand and this location is not up to the expectations based on those past experiences. Staff were nice and accommodating, hotel is older and definitely dated, signs of wear and the need for a remodel. For a basic need - room to sleep in and bar for a drink at the end of the day- it meets your requirements, but it is not great, and the price is too high for what you get.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank M0rgoth

Firstly, thank you for staying with us and secondly, thank you for your objective feedback! As you mentioned, we do have very nice employees who are ever trying to live our "One Step Ahead" service culture!

Regarding showing signs of wear and tear, I appreciate your perspective and I am actively working with our management to prioritize and address our areas of opportunity for physical and design improvement.

Once again, thank you for your feedback since it will help us improve!

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night which cost $459 + tax. After waiting 20 minutes to check in I was sent to a "pool room" that is a separate building at the back of the hotel. When I got there the room had not been cleaned. Ultimately the checkin took 40 minutes and I had a room that overlooked the road with a paper clip on the curtains to keep them closed.

On check out I asked for a cab and was told that there would be a 20 minute wait. When the cab driver arrived he had to pay the guy at the front desk $20 for calling him, and the cab driver later explained that was the reason that cabs didn't wait at the hotel!

There is a Four Seasons very close that's less expensive and a great hotel which is a far better option.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2014

Dear AussieBlazers,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. We regret to see you did not fully enjoy your time at the hotel. We take all of the reviews we receive very seriously as they allow us to identify areas that may benefit from additional attention. We have shared your comments with the staff and we’re confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Adrian D