“Old expensive hotel”

Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Richmond, Virginia
“Old expensive hotel”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

1) Front desk people do not know what they are doing when they check you in. The guy seemed very confused in what to do said that my credit card is not approving, but he'll change it to cash and try to run my card later because the system seems to be down.
2) For the amount I paid my room (215) looks like I was downgraded. The carpet is stained and the curtain smells old and musky.
3) The food is ok, but it's hard to get a hold of anyone for room service. Got transferred many times to the restaurant.
As a platinum member I thought I was suppose to get a free upgrade, but the guy at the desk said that they didn't have any rooms available but he would comp my parking and give me dinner.
I could write more, just very disappointed in this hotel. Stayed in many hotels of this brand, this was the worst experience. I gave it 2 because the location was close to work and the University.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 beds are in a dark hallway and the a/c doesn't work well because it's facing th...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Tony P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear Tony P,

Thank you for writing a detailed review following your recent stay. While we are glad that you found our location convenient, it is regrettable that the level of service and room quality did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced. We value you as one of our Platinum members, and I can assure you that appropriate actions will be taken to ensure similar situations are avoided in the future.

I do hope that we can welcome you back and restore your faith in our beautiful hotel.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Oakland, California
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We made a reservation to stay 3 nights in a regular room, and changed it to two nights in a suite. When we arrived our "suite" only had a curtain separating the two rooms. We had to have that changed - they really shouldn't call that a suite. They put us in the 900 square foot suite, so that made up for it. Housekeeping was fine, although they forgot to refill the Keurig coffee on day two.

There were minor mait issues but they were quick and attentive to fix. Definitely not as fancy as many of the other IHG properties, but I'm guessing the visitors here are mainly Stanford and tech-company hosted, and some tourists. Seemed like a decent wedding venue, and the cheesburger in the restaurant was surprisingly good.

Restaurant and bar were surprisingly decent, and nice to know that they stay open until 11 on weekends. The one thing they need to take care of is (1) the peeling paint on the suite balconies, and (2) the two broken treadmills in the gym but other than that, I think with a bit of polish, this could be the best property in Southern Palo Alto.

Also, time to get rid of the wi-fi passwords, that's ten years ago. Perhaps a more interesting cocktail menu would help too.

Room Tip: Stick to suites on second floor if you can.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Adam M
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I used this hotel because it was 'headquarters' for the conference I was attending at Stanford. My request for a room on a high floor by email two months earlier was ignored. When I checked in, I assigned to a room on the fifth floor and I was told the only room left was on the first floor. Turns out it was down a long dark hallway and had no windows. When my colleague and I went back to the front desk to request a room change a different and friendlier clerk assigned me a room on the fifth floor adjacent to my colleague's! The room itself was fine. Nice touch-- you can open the window and I enjoyed the fresh air. We did not partake of the expensive breakfast, but enjoyed Dinah's poolside restaurant across the street ( suggested by a local we met in the bar). That was a lovey spot with outdoor tables and yummy well-priced omelets. Speaking of the bar, they were out of many wines on the menu, but the manager was nice enough to give us a price break because the wine we ordered was not available. I felt that $12 for parking was ridiculous and so easily found on-street parking. The pool hours were inconvenient. Opening at 9 am, we had to be at the conference so couldn't swim early in the morning and one of the four nights we returned hoping for late afterdnoon dip, the pool was being used by a private party. One of the three treadmills in the fitness center was out of order. Otherwise it was clean and most of the staff were very courteous. Overall, just average.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Ellen K,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you found the service provided by our staff commendable.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with room assignment and that you were not able to enjoy our pool. On the other hand, I am glad that our front desk was able to sort out your concerns in a timely manner. We will certainly use your comments and rest assured that each concern raised on your review will be looked into.

Once again, thank you for staying and I hope we get another privilege to provide you with a more memorable stay in the future.

Faith R
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Had my family stay there a few days ago. Frances & Lee took really great care of my family and gave them great recomendation of places to visit and eateries. The room was really nice. My parents & brother, were by the swimming pool and they had a really nice patio outside the room. Will be back for another visit, real soon, plan on staying here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
We were so very delighted to hear your wonderful review of our hotel and more importantly about two of our employees, Frances and Lee. I'm so happy they were able to assist you with great recommendations for local places to visit and eat!

We look forward to your return and hope it is sooner than later...and please share your great stay with family and friends.

And please don't hesitate to contact me should I ever be of assistance to you pre-stay, during your stay and even after your stay.

Cheers...Matt

Matthew Swanson
650.628.0124
matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com
Irvine, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Lets Itemize the problems.
- Two rude front desk clerks, They say they don’t have a room, I request, and 10 minutes later I hear they offer a nice room to the later arriving guest.
- Room light not working, have to walk back all the way to the front desk they call the maintenance to come and turn on the light at 11:30 pm when I checked in.
- Requested change of the room, the front desk point me to the direction took me 15 minutes to find the room the other side of the hotel. She didn't offer a map or anything where this room would be.
- Big gap under the door cold air blasting
- Phone in room not working, called from my cell phone maintenance brought a pool towel to stick under the door to stop the wind air blast from outside.
- Heater didn't work I froze from cold all night.
- Refrigerator Dirty, not working, making random noise all night. Called front desk to have them ask maintenance to come in and unplug it to let me sleep, the rude front desk woman told me just unplug it. The cabinet that holds the refrigerator is giant I told her it is too heavy for me to move. She replied with a rude comment.
- Morning woke up to take a shower, all the bathroom area was infested with ants. Called front desk they send someone with Windex!
- The bed bugs bit me on two places was suffering the whole week from that.
- Can it get any worse. It is the worst hotel, worst room, worst front desk clerks I have ever seen in my life. I was in town for business but checked out the second day and went to an excellent hotel after that instead.
- Even though they refunded my money, who cares I suffered for two days and had no sleep while I was there for business.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
Dear Kevin F,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Hotel was probably grand in its heyday but now it is faded and dated. We stay there only because it is well located between Stanford and Castro Street restaurants. Rooms are clean. Maid service and front desk service are both reluctant and "I'm going to do as little as I possibly can." There is a HIlton Garden Inn about a 1/2 block away that should open sometime in the Fall of 2014 and I hope to stay there soon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Dear jbabq,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. We are glad you liked our convenient location. I am deeply sorry you found our hotel less than satisfactory. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Jaime W
McKinney, Texas, United States
Reviewed 19 June 2014

This was a (relatively speaking) bargain hotel in an otherwise very expensive town. It's older and looked like a fun place in its heyday. (Case in point: they advertise that the Beatles stay there (before they were big)!) For the price, it was just fine.

The bar is small. The restaurant is lame (cafeteria feel). The free coffee in the lobby is excellent and plentiful.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Hello Sara S.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to Palo Alto. As a valued guests, we appreciate all your feedback and welcome any opportunity to improve. I apologize you felt the bar was small and the restaurant was not inviting. We are in the process of beginning property renovations and one of the areas we will be creating a more welcoming and enjoyable dining area for our guests.

Thank you again for taking the time to review our property. I hope to be able to welcome you again soon.

Kind regards,