“Good location and very helpful staff”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel staff is really friendly and helpful (unlike in many hotels of this chain), as well as fair: I had received a different info at check-in about my fare for the second day of stay in relation to what I found on the bill, and without hesitating they discounted the exceeding amount. A plus of the hotel is the free shuttle service to reach destinations in the proximity, something really unusual (and again, drivers are extremely helpful, actually real advanced local guides who are available to advise you on anything you do not know about the region, for business or leisure). Rooms are OK, in the typical standard of the chain.

Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

The service at this hotel should work harder to overcome the obvious flaws in the property, but they do not. We stayed for over a week visiting our son at Stanford. The front desk people were curt, clipped and not very accommodating of special requests. The hotel is older and had a recent cursory reno to bring it up to 3 star level, but the floors are not level, the linens and curtains not very clean and the wall paper is bubbling off the walls. I would not recommend paying $250+ per room or you will be sorely disappointed, but if you can get it on Priceline for around $100 per night, it's not a bad deal. Just don't expect an upscale resort because this is not one. Don't expect four star service because the staff here do not go out of their way to make you feel welcome. No special favors here, either, even for someone who is staying over a week and has multiple bookings. They could do a whole lot better!

Stayed: July 2014
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Thank you so very much for your feedback! It allows us the opportunity to take a look at our operation and improve.

We are currently making many training efforts with our employees to ensure they are consistently delivering authentic hospitality to all of our guests.

And regarding your comments about the physical aspect of your guestroom in which you stayed, I apologize for the deficiencies that you experienced. I'll be personally inspecting the room with my Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer to make the necessary fixes.

I'd like to chat with you further to gain your perspective on other aspects of your stay, so when you have a moment, please call me at 650.628.0124.

Kind regards,

Matt

Matt Swanson
matt.swanson@cabanapaloalto.com

Reviewed 27 July 2014

I stayed here for two weeks during work training nearby. If you use it simply as a place to sleep and spend most of your time outside, its the perfect solution. The location of this place is perfect, very close to my office, perfectly in the middle from the two main night spots nearby - University Ave in Palo Alto and Castro Av in Mountain View. Also, there are a couple of restaurants within walking distance, though if you arrive late on Sunday as we did after flying in from the UK - don't expect them to be open after 9pm! If you plan to so some serious shopping - the nearest decent Mall is some way away, about 40 mins drive.

We were put in the cabins at the back, behind the pool. Bit of a trek but manageable and location was great. The room was large with two double beds, good sized bathroom with a big mirror, patio door access to personal table/chairs and the pool just metres away. Also there are parking spots right outside the door - the ground floor cabins are the best option :) The room has an empty fridge which proves very useful too. However, there is no safe in the room, I did leave valuables in the room locked in my suitcase though and had no issues, I met the maid a few times in the morning she was very friendly. There is lots of cupboard space, lots of plug sockets all over the room which is good. As with most hotels though, the lights in the main room are lamps only. Also - the only mirrors are in the bathroom, there are none in the room.

I had breakfast at the weekend only - the buffet finishes quite early and thereafter you have to have cooked meals. Buffet is simple enough - eggs and potatoes are the only warm veggie options. There are choices of cereal, oatmeal, fruit and pastries. At night, the bar staff are quite friendly, very experienced. There is only one big table for a large group, but you wont't use it, I'm sure you'll use the sofas anyway :) The staff at reception are very friendly, I had a parcel delivered here but used the wrong room number, they sorted it out. They told me the best places to go at night, places to park, printed out maps for me. They always greet you when they see you. Also, the bell boys at front don't mind if you leave your car just in front of the hotel for the odd few minutes. Also, on Thursdays they have food trucks arrive in the car park, quite a party atmosphere :) I would stay here again if I got a cabin :)

Room Tip: Ground Floor Cabins at the rear are great :)
Reviewed 9 July 2014

1) Front desk people do not know what they are doing when they check you in. The guy seemed very confused in what to do said that my credit card is not approving, but he'll change it to cash and try to run my card later because the system seems to be down.
2) For the amount I paid my room (215) looks like I was downgraded. The carpet is stained and the curtain smells old and musky.
3) The food is ok, but it's hard to get a hold of anyone for room service. Got transferred many times to the restaurant.
As a platinum member I thought I was suppose to get a free upgrade, but the guy at the desk said that they didn't have any rooms available but he would comp my parking and give me dinner.
I could write more, just very disappointed in this hotel. Stayed in many hotels of this brand, this was the worst experience. I gave it 2 because the location was close to work and the University.

Room Tip: Rooms with 2 beds are in a dark hallway and the a/c doesn't work well because it's facing th...
1  Thank Tony P
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Tony P,

Thank you for writing a detailed review following your recent stay. While we are glad that you found our location convenient, it is regrettable that the level of service and room quality did not live up to your expectations. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the shortcomings you have experienced. We value you as one of our Platinum members, and I can assure you that appropriate actions will be taken to ensure similar situations are avoided in the future.

I do hope that we can welcome you back and restore your faith in our beautiful hotel.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We made a reservation to stay 3 nights in a regular room, and changed it to two nights in a suite. When we arrived our "suite" only had a curtain separating the two rooms. We had to have that changed - they really shouldn't call that a suite. They put us in the 900 square foot suite, so that made up for it. Housekeeping was fine, although they forgot to refill the Keurig coffee on day two.

There were minor mait issues but they were quick and attentive to fix. Definitely not as fancy as many of the other IHG properties, but I'm guessing the visitors here are mainly Stanford and tech-company hosted, and some tourists. Seemed like a decent wedding venue, and the cheesburger in the restaurant was surprisingly good.

Restaurant and bar were surprisingly decent, and nice to know that they stay open until 11 on weekends. The one thing they need to take care of is (1) the peeling paint on the suite balconies, and (2) the two broken treadmills in the gym but other than that, I think with a bit of polish, this could be the best property in Southern Palo Alto.

Also, time to get rid of the wi-fi passwords, that's ten years ago. Perhaps a more interesting cocktail menu would help too.

Room Tip: Stick to suites on second floor if you can.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Adam M
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I used this hotel because it was 'headquarters' for the conference I was attending at Stanford. My request for a room on a high floor by email two months earlier was ignored. When I checked in, I assigned to a room on the fifth floor and I was told the only room left was on the first floor. Turns out it was down a long dark hallway and had no windows. When my colleague and I went back to the front desk to request a room change a different and friendlier clerk assigned me a room on the fifth floor adjacent to my colleague's! The room itself was fine. Nice touch-- you can open the window and I enjoyed the fresh air. We did not partake of the expensive breakfast, but enjoyed Dinah's poolside restaurant across the street ( suggested by a local we met in the bar). That was a lovey spot with outdoor tables and yummy well-priced omelets. Speaking of the bar, they were out of many wines on the menu, but the manager was nice enough to give us a price break because the wine we ordered was not available. I felt that $12 for parking was ridiculous and so easily found on-street parking. The pool hours were inconvenient. Opening at 9 am, we had to be at the conference so couldn't swim early in the morning and one of the four nights we returned hoping for late afterdnoon dip, the pool was being used by a private party. One of the three treadmills in the fitness center was out of order. Otherwise it was clean and most of the staff were very courteous. Overall, just average.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Ellen K,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am delighted that you found the service provided by our staff commendable.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with room assignment and that you were not able to enjoy our pool. On the other hand, I am glad that our front desk was able to sort out your concerns in a timely manner. We will certainly use your comments and rest assured that each concern raised on your review will be looked into.

Once again, thank you for staying and I hope we get another privilege to provide you with a more memorable stay in the future.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Had my family stay there a few days ago. Frances & Lee took really great care of my family and gave them great recomendation of places to visit and eateries. The room was really nice. My parents & brother, were by the swimming pool and they had a really nice patio outside the room. Will be back for another visit, real soon, plan on staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Matt S, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Palo Alto, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

We were so very delighted to hear your wonderful review of our hotel and more importantly about two of our employees, Frances and Lee. I'm so happy they were able to assist you with great recommendations for local places to visit and eat!

We look forward to your return and hope it is sooner than later...and please share your great stay with family and friends.

And please don't hesitate to contact me should I ever be of assistance to you pre-stay, during your stay and even after your stay.

Cheers...Matt