“Nicer Than Most”

Crowne Plaza Palo Alto
Ranked #10 of 27 Hotels in Palo Alto
Reviewed 22 February 2007

Make sure you ask for a room that is in the Tower. The rooms in the back of the hotel are a bit worn out. I got a good rate of $125, so I really can't complain. Two weeks ago I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express about a block away and paid $169. This hotel is the only high rise hotel in the area. The other places are mostly motels.

I do agree with the other postings... I have yet to see a hotel employee in the lobby. No one to greet you or to take your bags or park your car. Maybe they think that nobody will notice? The beds are very comfortable and Crowne Plaza's have a special interest in making your stay very comfortable... this one is no different!

Stayed: February 2007
1  Thank askeddie

Reviewed 12 February 2007

-Invisible staff - no one to greet us or take our luggage. No guests besides weekend partiers. Front desk scatter-brained.
-Had to ask 4 times to get a cab called for us.
-Young partiers partied in the hallways outside our room until 4am and no one was at the front desk to take our complaint. We phoned nearly 10 times and no one picked up at 3 am. Fire alarm was set off by these punks at 3:30am... that was awesome.
-Went down to find a few staff standing around refusing to answer the phones. If this is the 'laid back' standard of working in Palo Alto I want to work here!
-The staff didn't answer the many compaints within the hotel so the POLICE eventually appeared at 4am to arrest the underage partiers.
-Forgot our wakeup call (we're here for business). The hotel has a guarantee that if they forget a guest's wake up call we get the night free .... hmmm ... didin't get it! SURPRISE!
-Saving grace? Food is good :) Oh, and the bar makes nice strong drinks .... perfect if you want to join the young drunk punks! I'm only 26, I like to party and I'm laid back, but this hotel was ridiculous.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Annie&Markus
Reviewed 31 October 2006

We stayed at the CP Palo Alto while traveling for business. For the price we paid per night, I did not feel that we received a good value. If you can get a room for <$100/ night- that it probably what it is worth.
Try to get a room in the tower- I understand that they are much newer and better quality than those in the old section in the back (which felt much more like a 'motel' than a 'hotel'). Maid service was inconsistent at best and one of the maids actually unlocked my door (w/out knocking) and walked in the room, saw me, and turned right back around and walked out without a word.
In general, I felt that customer service was average and no one went out of their way to be helpful or friendly. One evening during our stay, there was a big event held at the hotel and the parking lot was completely overcrowded. Valet parking was provided for those attending the event but no one offered or explained to the guests what to do with our vehicles. It was very poorly executed.
If you do stay here, I recommend having breakfast across the street at Dinahs Poolside Restaurant instead of at the Cabana- better food and reasonable prices.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2006

I stayed here for two nites - Oct. 6th and 7th. I had a wonderful time! The hotel really is a great value- paid a little over $100 for this fab Palo Alto location. The service was excellent, the hotel decor, cleanliness, amenities were all great!

I'd definitely stay here again. Maybe next time I'll have to take a jump in the pool - it looked so inviting from the view of my room.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled with family
1  Thank Suzy_Shopper
A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 21 April 2006

After a very long day of travel we pull up at 7:00 PM on a Saturday. There was no help at the stand to take luggage or vale to park the car. If your on the second floor it seems that no matter which way you go, you are required to navigate some stairs with your luggage. This was a bit annoying. I would say service level is mixed and hit or miss.

The rooms are well kept and clean. There is not a robe in the room, but they are quick to bring one up when asked. Everything worked fine in the room, internet shower etc.

The restaurant bar food is about 2 star quality. If you’re hungry after a long day and have no choice, I say go for it, otherwise walk down the street for something better.

The breakfast buffet is pretty well stocked and they staff was friendly.

All in all, not too bad.

• Stayed: April 2006, travelled on business
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
NY
Reviewed 8 February 2006

The hotel was quite nice like most Crowne Plaza hotels, however I had to give it this review to hopefully spare other people the frustration I went through.

The hotel claims that they have fiber super-fast high speed internet access, but the problem is that many people will NOT be able to get ANY internet access there. Note that I am a computer techie professional and have never had any problems at any other hotels/networks. However my laptop coule NOT get net access there at either the wireless network in their lobby or the wired connection in the rooms.

A trick you can try to see if it will work for you (e.g. before you check-in) is try their wireless network in the lobby and if it works for you, you should be fine, but otherwise, don't stay there..
If indeed they have a workaround to get it working, then I would change my review, but for now, I would advise everyone who needs Net access to stay away.

• Stayed: February 2006
3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 January 2006

I've stayed there several times and I'm not sure why, but I like it. The location has been good for my purposes, there's nothing particulary wrong and the rooms have been clean. Enough parking space.

• Stayed: February 2005, travelled on business