“Had no idea this was Korean”

So Gong Dong Tofu House
Ranked #93 of 357 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Cuisines: Asian, Korean
Carmichael, California
“Had no idea this was Korean”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Nice surprise and so many choices... we tried original soft tofu with chicken...my favorite (ordered mild) so yummy. Also tried the bimbimbob with beef (1st time after having it on Korean Air Line) so delicious with the crispy rice on the bottom...too much with all the side dishes purple rice, kimchee, glass noodles and many more!

Visited May 2013

Stockton, California
“Best Spicy Cold Noodle (Bibim Neong Myun) I ever had”
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Last weekend my friend & I went to Palo Alto to explore the city for the first time, this restaurant is 3 (big) blocks away from where we were staying, so we went there for dinner. We ordered BBQ Pork (Pork Gulgogi), Kimchee Tofu Soup and Spicy Cold Noodle, first two items were delicious, but I also found Korean restaurants in Sacramento CA where I frequented make as good food as this restaurant, but what impressed me most was Spicy Cold Noodle, it was the best I ever tasted, all afternoon, I've been craving for it even though I just had it 2 days ago. I couldn't give 5 stars is because there was zero service, at least staff weren't rude or unfriendly, they were just too busy to waiting on us.

• Visited March 2013
Hawai
“Great Korean Food”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

This is the place to go for Korean food. You will not be disappointed. The Kim Chee is GREAT! Good service and also good for take out.

• Visited February 2013
Makati City
“Doenjang Jjigae anyone”
Reviewed 20 November 2012

As usual this place was packed for early dinner after 10 to 15 minutes we where seated and we right away ordered our favorite doenjang jjigae (fermented bean-paste stew) and haemul pajeon (seafood pancake) it was raining that night and was cold nothing beats a jjigae on a cold weather.
Oh our jjigae comes with a bowl of rice that has a different color and according to my wife and kids is very good the food was great as usual.
This is the first time we ate at this branch of theirs and this one do offer a lot more of food choices than the one on Sunnyvale but both have the same quality in terms of service and food.

• Visited November 2012
Mountain View, California
“Great food, not too expensive, so good to have nearby!”
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I've been biking past this place since I moved here, wondering about it every day. And now, they have a banner up, advertising their vegetarian menu (well, according to them, their vegeterian menu), and coming back from two months in the Middle East, I couldn't resist!

We got the vegetarian dumpling tofu soup, and the vegetarian bi bim bap, along with all the sides that come with. Both were hearty, and delicious, and everything we wanted in an awkwardly early dinner. The mushrooms in the bi bim bap were especially meaty and flavorful, and I love that contrast between the soft, chewy rice and the crispy rice from the edges. The kim chi here is phenomenal, and there's such a good array of sides, from the fresh bean sprouts and cucumbers to the savory seaweed to the spicy kim chi to the sweet dressed potatoes.

And it's not too expensive, either... under $30 for two people, with sodas. The service was pretty slow, but it mostly just seemed like an issue of understaffing. We'll have to go back and see if it gets better... And if I need to update to five stars. Because the taste of the food is worth it!

• Visited August 2012