“Bad Night's Sleep”

Ponderosa Gardens Motel
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Paradise
Reviewed 12 June 2013

When all is said and done, one stays at a motel to get a good night's sleep.

Unfortunately, that did NOT happen here. The AC unit near the bed puts out a horrible amount of noise when it kicks into refrigeration mode, and it kept waking me up every time it did that.As a result, I had a very poor night with little sleep.

It's a shame, because everything else about the pace is wonderful. The grounds are VERY nice, the room is quite large and attractive, and the young lady who checked us is was most amiable. But the AC unit was a beast.

Perhaps it is just our room -- room 56 -- that has this issue. I hope so. However, if you're checking in during the warmer season, you might want to check the noise level of the AC unit in your room before unpacking.

Room Tip: Check the AC unit noise before you unpack.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2013

I originally had reservations at a different motel in town, but it was so awful, I went to the Paradise Chamber of Commerce to ask for a recommendation. I'm so glad I did. They sent me to Ponderosa Gardens. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was spotless and the complex was clean and quiet. The outdoor facilities are also great. The pool and hot tub were sparkling and the grounds were beautiful and well maintained. The property abuts a walking trail and is near by parks, restaurants and retail. They have a strong wifi system - I was even able to connect and work out by the pool. I intially planned to stay two nights in Paradise, two in nearby Oroville, and a final night in Sacramento on the evening before flying out of SMF. I was so pleased with Ponderosa Gardens that I kept extending my stay and ended up spending all five nights there. Each room has a nice, private patio, which is a great place to enjoy the in-room coffee. There is a good continental breakfast with coffee, juice, fresh fruit, bakery, toast/bagels & spreads, and hot or cold cereal. I was traveling alone, but at no time was I concerned for my safety. The motel is centrally located and a great homebase for exploring the area. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and was able to relax completely. Ponderosa Gardens is recommended for those who want to enjoy an outdoorsy retreat nestled in the Ponderosa pines, and yet in the heart of town.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Holly T
Reviewed 9 May 2013

My overall trip was not a joyful one, due to a death in the family. However, this motel was a delight!

A large quiet room with two queen-sized beds greeted us (which was right in front of the pool). I would stay there again. The best motel in town.

Room Tip: There is no restaurant on the premises. This is one of unknown quality across the street. My brother...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank michaelraygenna
Reviewed 1 January 2013

This is about the only time we have stayed in a hotel local to where we live, however when we recently experienced a major snow storm, power outage & a tree fall & hit our house, we were in need of finding local accommodations quick. Thankfully the power was still on down the hill in Paradise. I can't speak of the reservation process as my husband made all the arrangements, but they easily accommodated us on short notice.

The room was spacious, very nice and very clean. There is a small patio set outside of each room for warmer weather conditions and the bed, pillows & room chairs were very comfortable. The room was initially frigidly cold & the heater took a good few hours to really warm things up but once it finally got warm, it stayed warm. The heater/AC even comes with a remote, which is a nice feature to be able to keep near your bed. The decor was attractive though at the time not a priority for me. I like that they also have a vanity & sink area separate from the bathroom with an additional sink. They also have a small fridge & microwave in the room. They provide a fairly decent continental breakfast, not elaborate by any means but has a bit more than the average continental breakfast. It was far too cold to check out the pool area but they have a pool & hot tub and also have some pet friendly accommodations. They were also gracious enough to us to allow for an extra late check out due to extenuating circumstances due to weather conditions.

It is not an extravagant place but definitely clean, quiet & comfortable & the staff was friendly. Definitely a much welcome blessing over a freezing cold, powerless house! If I needed accommodations in Paradise again, I would definitely go back. For those unfamiliar with the area, the motel is right off the main road through Paradise (Skyway) & relatively easy to find, though sits back off of the street so you don't really hear the street noise. (When you see the hotel sign, follow the driveway all the way to the back). It is also near several restaurants & the rest of what there is to do in our small town.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Kristina O
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Paradise? Well yeah! Paradise California is aptly named. Paradise is a really pretty place in the western Sierra foothills, a pretty morning or afternoon drive across the Sierra's from Reno and just off California Highway 70.

Ponderosa Gardens was an excellent choice for us while visiting Paradise because we wanted some down time around a nice pool. This property fit the bill perfectly. There are about 28 units arranged in a way that creates a large landscaped courtyard and pool/jacuzzi space. Take a look at the pictures, it really is that pretty in person. If you don't wish to be near the pool there is a fifth building set in a quiet location of it's own. The layout of this "motel" is unique, and I think, rather ingenious. The buildings are located amid the many tall trees of a very large property. It is adjacent to the main drive (Skyway) through town and yet was secluded well away from all traffic noise. This all helps with the ambiance, providing the feeling of certainly more than just a "motel".

Our room (#49) was large and clean - and cleanliness is particularly important to us. Units are inexpensively appointed with somewhat dated furnishings. We didn't really mind, and having a huge clean room seemed a fair trade. Nice refrigerator, even a microwave. Wifi worked fine.

Sally, the night manager, was attentive and is very personable. She had pool towels ready for us, was helpful with some dinner suggestions and genuinely seemed motivated to help us feel welcome. The morning desk manager seemed to have her priorities elsewhere other than greeting the guest, that was the only disappointment, and some milk for the cereal would have been nice.

The pool was excellent, the water crystal clear and in excellent condition. The surrounding patio neat and clean. Everything was in working order in contrast to a prior review by another guest.

Bottom line: Maybe just a tad pricey if you just need a clean place to sleep, but if you can slow down and enjoy the amenities and this really pretty setting then this seemed like a very good choice. Honestly, we've spent about 15 days in Reno this summer off and on where $60.00 gets you a luxury room at a resort casino, so the 90 or so dollars here feels high by that standard. Conversely we understand why the prices are what they are and feel the gap between what we would have liked to pay and what we did pay was probably only 10 or 20 dollars.

I hope this helps you!

Room Tip: Ask to look at a few available rooms then book. You'll see they vary in location and accoutremen...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank bfrazier
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Our room was spacious with a beautiful quilt on the bed and very clean. The AC was noisy, but when we turned it off, the room was quiet and relaxing. Our room was the farthest from the wireless station and so we did not have WiFi in our room, but the lobby had tables and chairs where we could go to connect to the internet. There was a large variety of things to choose from for the continental breakfast (several juices, coffee, hot chocolate, hot or cold cereal, pastries and fruit). We did not get a chance to check out the pool or hot tub as we were in Paradise for a family reunion. We enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank NatureLover059
Reviewed 22 May 2012

The motel was very quiet, relaxing, and beautiful. The staff very accommodating. We plan to stay here whenever visiting Paradise

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank linda2005
Also consider these accommodations in or near Paradise
Best Western Paradise Hotel
Gold Country Casino & Hotel
Residence Inn Chico
Residence Inn Chico
#8 of 17 in Chico

Been to Ponderosa Gardens Motel? Share your experiences!