“Refreshing cocktails, tasty menu, and cool jazz”
Review of redwhite+bluezz - CLOSED

redwhite+bluezz
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Green Street
Transit: Light Rail stations within walking distance: • Gold Line Del Mar Station • Gold Line Memorial Park Station Bus Lines stopping within 1 block of redwhite+bluezz: • Metro Lines 177, 180, 181, 256, 686 • Foothill Transit 187 • Pasadena ARTS 20
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We have been visiting RW+B for several years and have never been disappointed. This past year, the new chef has been recreating the menu with some really wonderful flavor explosions on your pallete. The venue has a lively bar, that seems to be always packed, indoor seating in the restaurant and Jazz Club, and the amzing patio area that is great on a summer evning...if, you can get a table. Worth the wait, as you can enjoy a large and varied wine list by the glass, great cocktails, and a lively, but adult atmosphere.

Reviewed 14 August 2011

Great tasting menu with wine pairings. You can choose 3, 4, or 5 courses and do wine pairings if you like. There are about 3 choices for each course so my husband and I each chose 3 different courses. So we had 6 different items with 6 different wines at a very reasonable price. The pairings were wonderful & interesting, and the server was extremely knowledgable about the wines & how they enhanced the foods. There are also a la carte items, and cheese & charcuterie pairings also. Live jazz most nights. The night we were there was just a single guitar player, which was relaxing. Also, surprisingly, it was almost empty when we arrived at 8:30 on a Thursday but when we left at 10 it was almost full!

Reviewed 20 March 2011

I had been planning having a birthday dinner for my husband since he likes jazz music for over a month but had never been to this place before. I asked to have a table a little distance from the entertainment and in a corner and was told "no problem". I even went to the restaurant the morning of our reservation with a gift to be placed on the table (that I then chose). However, later upon our arrival for dinner, I was surprised to see a group of people sitting exactly where I chose to sit. I then saw the birthday gift on a table in front of them, which is were I did not want to sit as it was too close to the music and the isle. The hostess explained that I probably did not get my table because it was a larger round table to seat more people. However, when I chose the table it was a small, square table. The people sitting at my chosen table sounded like movie executives, and I'm sure the restaurant made a lot more money on them than us. However, it was very dissapointing to be treated as an invaluable customer.

1  Thank raandda
Reviewed 17 May 2010

The wife and I stumbled into this looking for a late dinner and we're attracted by the prix fixe dinner option with the paired wine servings. We went for the whole hog, except no wine for dessert as we planned on sorbet.

Overall, I was impressed by the pairings and the food supplied. Each of us had a different five courses and personal wine selections. I'm surprised by the other complaints about the food as the food was tasty, well-prepared and artfully presented. The service was good and, actually, the server did the wine pairings -- quite successfully.

Ambiance was good where we sat but the original seating by the bathrooms was not good. You could smell them so we moved. The blues were good and didn't disturb the diners who chatted away happily. There was a party in the next room and a wine bar in full operation but it all fit together comfortably.

As to cost, we went the whole route: two customized dinners and full wine pairings. Came to just under $200 with generous tip. We inquired about the wines and they were for sale by the bottle as well for good prices so we found some labels we'll get when we don't have to haul them home.

Bottom line: we'll be back the next time we're in Pasadena.

Reviewed 24 November 2009

This place is very fun, good atmosphere with live music, and solid menu with a variety of dishes to try out. I recommend the pork chop with some beef sliders to start. Cooked well and full of flavor,the sliders have a nice spiciness! The sommelier is very knowledgeable and can make you look good on a date regardless of your price range. The wine list is hard to read in the dim light, but varied and it does have some monsters on it (Petrus) with reasonable markups.

When you are looking to lounge with friends, the back section usually has live music on the weekends, and it's not connected to the restaurant portion so it's not as stiff but with all the same food and wine. Every time that I've been back there it has been poppin'.

If you are in Pasadena, I would definitely recommend for a date or just a good dining experience in general!