“Tea for 4 at 2 with 300 selections!”
Review of Chado Tea Room

Chado Tea Room
Ranked #126 of 741 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Although there is no sound abatment, which detracts a little from a serene, gentle experience, the Chado Tea Room is bustling with experiences. There is "High Tea" which is an afternoon tea experience (at any time of the day for $18 - 25 per person) or a Tea Tasting. The latter is a deep dive into tea and the tea drinking experience, allowing you to try many different teas as part of an education experience. The "Afternoon" tea, is just that: a great pot of tea with full service. The tables are slightly cramped for 4 people to each have a full 3-tiered service caddy, 4 pots of tea and 4 tea cups with 4 glasses of water -- and whatever extra you may have ordered! But, the scones (especially the ginger one) were delicious, with jam and cream (although not clotted cream). The tea sandwiches were flavorful, with a wide selection to choose your four from. The "cake" course has several to choose from, along with a cookie.
There are over 300 teas to choose from. This is a blessing and a curse. How can you possible read through the entire tea catalogue, and then choose what you want to try in the time the wait staff is willing to suffer? Anyway, after a quick review of as many as I could read, I had a very lovely "silver tips" top grade tea that was grand. The others I was with each had a different tea, and we all ended up trying each other's tea -- which meant we had a mini tea tasting of our own! The service was prompt, but a bit staid and aloof -- but that is par for the course for a "British-style" tea service.

Reviewed 6 July 2013 via mobile

I have been to the Chado Tea room several times and was excited to bring a friend for her birthday tea. The service was slow, curt, and with with the exception of the very hard working and pleasant food server, arrogant. The sandwiches were slightly dry and the scone overdone and crispy. Such a disappointment. If this level of service continues, they will not be around much longer.

Reviewed 5 July 2013

I came here with my husband last Friday for a tea tasting ($20 per person, be sure to make reservations) at 11 am (times are at 11 am, 2 pm and 5 pm). Ever since my husband and I experienced high noon tea during our cruise trip last year, my husband wanted to come go to one of those tea rooms I take my mother and girlfriends to. He is a tea drinker and since I have always told him of my positive experiences and how it is MUCH better than what we had on our cruise, he probably wanted to experience it for himself.

Anyways, when we arrived, we had to wait for a few more people before starting, so we ended up starting at 11:25 am instead. Anyways, when we eventually got started, our server or hostess, Adam started out by giving us the history of tea. On each of our tables, were 6 different piles of tea on a plate. These piles of tea leaves have already been steeped and so it was just at everyone's table just to see the color and help let everyone know which tea we would try next.

After we tried 6 different teas (we had different types of green and black), our scones and dessert tower came out. While we were enjoying the scones, clotted cream (with strawberries in it, nice touch) and jellies/ jams, Adam came by to show us another type of tea. He pulled out a dried flower and placed it in a clear tea pot, where we could see the flower rehydrate itself and transform to how it would have been before being dried. Everyone was able to try this tea, along with a few other teas, so in the end, we tried about 9 different teas.

In the end, we had excellent service, excellent teas, a new found knowledge about the many different tid bit facts about tea making and of it's history (which was actually pretty interesting and some quite funny) and a wonderful early afternoon together (my husband and I). The $20 per person for the tea tasting is worth the price, and much better for your healthy & your liver (as opposed to doing wine or beer tasting at a bar or something).

Reviewed 28 May 2013

The Chado Tea Room is an excellent choice for an English style afternoon tea. The scones here are outstanding, and if you get the afternoon tea, I would recommend starting with them first when they are fresh out of the oven. Chado has a large and excellent selection of teas. Out of the few that I have tried, the Darjeeling Oolong and Genmaicha are my favorites, but they have such a large selection that anyone's preference would seemingly be satisfied here. The staff is knowledgeable and helpful. While it may not be as formal as other tea rooms, it is very nice. One of the few downsides to be aware is that the parking can be a little tricky. While valet is available, I usually opt to park in the structure on Union and Fair Oaks, which has a flat rate of $6.00. I would recommend making a reservation as soon as you know that you want to go.

1  Thank Andrew T
Reviewed 7 May 2013

As part of a tour we were seated at long tables across from your partner in the back of the restaurant. This is not an intimate tea room. Access was limited so we hardly got any tea. The 'service' was slow and lacking, maybe they were short handed our service person was also running the cash register for a customer. The sandwiches were lacking, all white bread and the 'dessert' was lacking. The only good part were the scones, but we got apricot jam and I would have preferred lemon curd. Over all I would not go back, but in looking at the other reviews, it appears that there are many good reviews, but it appears that they had great service an a 'different' tea menu.

1  Thank hoho92649