“Great sushi but atmosphere (kids) are intolerable!!!!”
Review of Oba Izakaya

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Ranked #505 of 703 Restaurants in Pasadena
South Pasadena, California
“Great sushi but atmosphere (kids) are intolerable!!!!”
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Great sushi with seasoned chefs but lots of entitled kids and oblivious parents in the place! Sushi is great but you have lots of parents who feel the place is free game for the kids! I can't stand when parents seat their kids at a sushi bar and let them order tempura this and that and allow then to play games on their phones. The place should kick them out! In all fairness to the sushi chefs it is great fresh fish and great service but the atmosphere is horrible. Go there LATE when the kids are are gone its a great experience for the price. Fish is fresh and fabulous!

• Visited April 2014

Pasadena, California
“Looking for Sushi in Pasadena: This is It”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

If you are looking for sushi in Pasadena, Oba sushi is nothing fancy from the front. It's located in a mini mall with another restaurant and exercise studio. This place has the best sushi at good prices. They even go out of their way to accommodate a friend of mine who is allergic to gluten. The ritchie rich roll is one of my favorites along with the spicy tuna on crispy rice. There are "fancier" places for sushi but this place is truly the best sushi. Don't miss it!

• Visited March 2012
Los Angeles, California
“OK sushi”
Reviewed 16 January 2012

One of the better sushi place in Pasadena, but I will much rather drive to Little Tokyo or the West side. Oba does cater to families, so you often have to put up with the distraction of noise from kids around you! I thought one should not have to be subjected to that, when you are doling out more than $70 pp for food and drinks!

Visited November 2011
Shanghai, China
“Our "go-to" place for dining-out!"”
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Great service, great food!!! My husband and I have been going here since they opened 3 years ago, and sooooo glad it has remained (unlike some other restaurants in its vicinity). It is very family friendly (we have two children). The manager, servers and bussers are extremely friendly. It is conveniently located near the end of the 110 freeway and is our "go-to" place for dining-out, especially if we have friends from out of town. As a mom it is definitely one of my favorites because my kids LOVE the food, it's healthy and it is served rather quickly. In regard to the other reviews posted on Yelp...It use to be a little pricey, but I think their prices have come down and to be honest, I don't know of a nice Japanese/Sushi restaurant that isn't a bit pricey. Your money is well spent here if great customer service, excellent food and healthy meal options are important to you. Also, they do offer a VIP card, so once you spend a certain amount they send you a gift certificate in the mail, a pretty nice perk since we eat there so often anyway.

• Visited September 2011
Seattle, Washington
“Friendly service, fabulous food!”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This has become my favorite 'treat' restaurant for mother-daughter lunches with my mom. They have a great inexpensive lunch special menu, but my favorites are the specialty rolls. They have the best rainbow rolls I've found - it's a standard, but this one melts in your mouth. The Paradise Roll has become my new favorite, I wasn't sure about a roll with a 'sauce' on top but once we had finished the roll I really wanted to lick the plate (I didn't). We always get those two and then try one new roll each time, everything has been good as we work our way through the list. My 8-year-old has been asking to go to a 'real' sushi restaurant so this week we took the two boys to Oba. Everyone had always been nice and we had great service before, but they went above and beyond with boys. We were greeted warmly and immediately after being seated the boys were given origami frogs. The 8-year-old ordered the popcorn shrimp roll and his less adventurous little brother ordered the chicken from the Izakaya menu, my first experience with that side of Oba. The little Panko-coated triangles looked and smelled delicious and by the way they were gobbled down I'm sure they were. The popcorn shrimp roll was good and huge, as it had a pile of popcorn shrimp on to of the roll. Mom and I had our usual two, delicious, and tried the dynamite roll -my first try with a cooked roll. It was good, the scallop and mushroom topping was yummy. What really struck me this trip was the special attention the boys were given, first the frogs then special chopstick holders, then origami elephant puppets and decorated boxes they used as puppet theaters. The final touch was a chocolate sauce Mickey mouse design on the moochi plate for desert and the origami boats with candy for each boy. My guys are usually pretty good at restaurants, but with all the distractions they never had a chance to play-up. I loved Oba before but this experience put it over the top for me.

• Visited July 2011