“Updated rooms - great convenience to Old Town & Caltech”

Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Bentonville, Arkansas
“Updated rooms - great convenience to Old Town & Caltech”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

For those that have read my other Pasadena hotel reviews, you know that I have been visiting Pasadena for the past 5 years as my son chose to attend Caltech and his subsequent 4 years there as a student. This is my new favorite hotel - it is too bad I stayed here for the first time on his graduation weekend. My room had clearly been recently updated. I loved the new furniture! The room felt a bit small but not so much as to really bother me. There are electrical and USB charging outlets everywhere. Staff was very friendly. You are walking distance to all of the Old Town restaurants and a 10 minute drive to Caltech.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back - not as noisy.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank swaynewilson
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thanks so much for sharing your experience and your new favorite hotel, The Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. Congratulations to both you and your Son for getting through one of the planets best universities, Caltech.
For all of you new Caltech parents out there…listen to this person, they are the voice of experience with the wisdom of a parent who has successfully navigated their child through College.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (197)
  • Korean first
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014

The Courtyard by Marriott located on North Fair Oaks Avenue is of the BEST Courtyard hotel I had the pleasure to stay. From the moment you step out of your car The Bell stand personal greeted you with a smile and a warm welcome. The front desk staff are one of the best. I would like to thank Tiffany, Carl and Mike B for their Outstanding services.They show what a good front desk service should be. From given direction, to asking how my stay is going, to a wonderful "Good Morning" greeting. They represent what a Great Front Desk Clerks are. Mr.Owen the General Manager always greet guests with a smile and ask how is your stay.Am looking forward of staying with this hotel again and I have told my friends and others of this wonderful hotel. Brenda Sac

Room Tip: Any room in this hotel is great and all rooms are very clean
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank 62Brenda
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, 24 July 2014
Brenda –

Thanks so much for your kind words and sharing your experience at The Courtyard Marriott Old Pasadena.
We are most thankful for you taking the time to recognize our staff….even our General Manager, Mr. Mike Owen, who clearly walks the talk.
Have a wonderful and safe summer and we very much hope to see you again soon.
Hamilton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

My husband was on a business trip and I joined him for a fun experience.

From the moment we arrived at this hotel to the very end we had perfect customer service. The staff were all friendly and attentive. When asked questions the answers were given promptly, when extra service was requested we received immediate attention.

Michele, front desk was the most attentive, but all staff greeted you with smiling sincerity. When I noticed the bowls at the front desk which usually had chocolates in where emptied they provided me with some chocolates right away.

The concierge was always helpful and I also noticed that he did not just sit around and wait for people to come to him, he wandered around talking with guests and asking them if they required anything or assistance. One concierge crouched down and addressed a child directly as if she was the most important person in the group. I was quite amazed.

The breakfast area was very nice and roomy. It could also be used as a lounge area and with free wifi as an added benefit (even in the rooms). The gentleman and others working the breakfast area where the most polite and thoughtful people I have seen in spite of how busy they were.

The pool and hot tub area were clean and well stocked with towels.

Our room was comfortable and well kept during our stay, although a little smaller than other Marriotts. We were glad that the mini bar was empty so we were able to use it for our purposes considering we were there for about 9 days. We enjoyed the free coffee in the room and because we enjoy real milk/cream instead of powdered creamer we were allowed to help ourselves from the breakfast area.

The fitness centre was also good with 3 treadmills, 2 ellipticals and weights. Towels and water were available.

The location was great for walking to local sites, restaurants and shopping.

Overall was one of the most positive hotel experiences we have had for a long time.

Room Tip: We were given a room with a jacuzzi tub which we didn't use and if we didn't have the jacuzz...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Dancebuff
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, 17 July 2014

So glad you got to enjoy both our service and our great location.

Have a wonderful summer.
San Tan Valley, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at this property numerous times, but our last stay was January, right after the Rose Bowl. Our rooms have always been 'splarkly clean', the check in is very speedy, and the customer service is excellent. They have a very nice breakfast/Starbucks area for morning food and coffee. There is a spacious pool area in the courtyard. I highly reccommend this location, as it is within walking distance to many stores/restaurants in the Pasadena downtown area.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Bonnie D-

Thank you so much for your kind words. Certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your stay with us at The Courtyard Old Pasadena.
We are the closest hotel to the Rose Bowl and in fact on a daily basis, many of our guests walk or jog over there.
We enjoyed having you here as our guest and very much hope to see you again in the near future.

Have a great and safe summer.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014

I stayed over this Memorial Day weekend. This hotel is located within walking distance to Old Town, and Memorial Park is right behind it for a nice evening stroll.

The hotel is currently under construction, but we did not hear construction noises at all. The room is clean, bed is firm, furniture appears to be new. A big sized sofa takes quite a bit of space in the room though. The 2 night stands have 2 electrical outlets, and a usb connection on each. Under the hanging TV, there are also 2 electrical outlets, plus 2 on the wall. Very convenient and thoughtful to have all these outlets as we all have so many electronic devices to be charged.

Shower and toilet are clean, and appear big size as sink/wash counter is placed outside the bathroom. The sink counter has limited counter space for your stuff though. It could be bigger or has some kind of shelf by it for more convenience. The bathroom door swings out towards the sink counter, and the closet is right behind it. This could be designed better in my opinion. It feels cramped when someone is at the sink and another is trying to pass through to the bathroom or open the closet. I also wished there are 2 waster baskets - one for the inside of bathroom, and one for the sink area. Shower water is good all the time. Hair dryer was found in one of the drawer in the room which I can understand as there is no place to store it at the sink area.

Another thing I'd like to point out is the parking. The parking structure is connected to the hotel through one door. Guests can get inside the hotel through this door after parking. It could be a long walk to your room if your room is at the other end from the parking structure. There are elevators along the way to go up and down the floors, but there is only one door to enter the inside the hotel from the parking structure. Also each turn inside the parking structure is pretty tight so drive slowly and watch carefully as one side is blocked by supporting pillar to see upcoming cars. Plenty parking spaces especially at upper floors, and after Memorial Day.

Gym is on the first floor. Each machine is placed close together as it is a small room, but we did not see many people there anyway.

Free internet in the room and lobby, which also has several computers for guests.

Overall, it is a very good hotel to stay and the location is very good too. I will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at The Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. The hotel is no longer under construction and has completed all of our guest rooms, meeting space and outdoor pool area.
We very much look forward to having you back in the near future. Until then, safe travels to you and your loved ones.
Washington DC, District of Columbia, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

My problem with the hotel is that everybody keeps talking about the great location, and giving it 4 or 5 stars. I think the location is great, no question, but that should not be an excuse to do nothing else but to just rest on the fact that "we are the ideal location".

Maybe as a Marriott Gold, I expected my status to be taken into account with regards to services. I don't know about other Courtyard locations, but in this one, there is no difference between Marriott elite and not. Here is the good and the bad in my opinion:

First, the good.
1) location of the hotel if you are into walking the old Pasadena area (otherwise, you need a car - this is LA)
2) You get your room and the staff is attentive if you ask for something
3) The adjacent parking allows you to park on the level that your room is, and just walk across - no elevators needed
4) the room is small but clean and comfortable

The bad.
1) No Gold/platinum rewards (No Marriott guaranteed breakfast, no concierge lounge, no complimentary room upgrade, no welcome as an elite member recognition - this last one is not a big deal, but just something to know), and instead of the water bottles we are used to getting in the room/at the lounge/at breakfast, there is a $4 bottle of Fuji Water. This is soooo not Marriott elite friendly.
2) The room has a traditional unit AC, which blows forceful air even at low level. It is really not up to par for something that costs $150-250/night, c'mon people. We had trouble finding a good place to put the baby pack n play to avoid blast of air all night, so we just turned the unit off.
3) Even though guest parking can only be accessed either by entering right passed the valet persons, or by guest room key, they still want you to display the ticket on the window with your last name printed on it. If not, you will first get a courtesy notice that if your ticket is not displayed, your car will be towed, and then your car will be towed at second infraction. Why am I required to show my last name on the car, in this day and age?
4) We had to call the staff several times for (no coffee in the room, no crib for baby as we requested, no toiletries replenishment, no blow dryer, TV signal being lost intermittently), and I feel that having to tip each time someone brings you something almost sounds like a little side-business to get more money out of you.
5) There is an extensive room-service menu, but I think since so many restaurants are just withing 2-3 blocks, this is a compete waste.
6) You need to double check your bill for extra charges. It is not one of those places where you just check out and trust that all the accounting is correct.

Overall, the hotel is good if you are in town for business (someone is picking up your tab), or just interested in the walking distance stuff. Otherwise, the Langham is a much better value. We stayed there a few nights before coming here, and for on $22 more, per night, and even without elite status, we got a welcome pink rose, a fruit plate, a thank you note handwritten from management, the baby crib in the room with a cute quilt, and a complimentary upgrade, even though they were full. The grounds, the service, and the experience was much much better, and we were still less than 10 minutes from old Pasadena.

Room Tip: "The front facing rooms have a little bit of a view but there is that street noise"
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mohsenmd
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Response:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. We appreciate your detailed response and am sorry we fell short of your expectations especially as it relates to your Marriott Gold Elite status. While I don’t have your last name to check the details, I do apologize that you felt any less than 100% appreciated for your loyalty. While it’s not often the Courtyard is compared to a hundred year old iconic landmark hotel, we are thankful that you chose to do so. In my humble opinion both hotels are great choices and quite different experiences in their own right.
We do hope to see you in Pasadena again and safe travels to you and your family.
Sandton, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

We stayed there over Spring break with our daughter and family. A good example of Marriot Courtyard with large rooms, good parking and a limited but good breakfast choice. It is in walkable distance of the Old town where there are plenty of restaurants. The pool was good. The staff were very helpful.

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the end of the corridor on each floor where there is the entrance from the mult...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
So glad you got to spend some quality family time at the Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. Prime Pasadena location combined with brand new rooms, a great pool and staff is hard to beat.
We are most thankful you spent your time with us.

Have a wonderful Summer and we hope to see you back again soon.