“WOW! What a differece no construction makes :-)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town

Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
temecula
“WOW! What a differece no construction makes :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Oh my, I blasted this Courtyard last year, when I requested a quiet room and was placed in direct contact with renovations of rooms, waking up to drilling and hammering at 8:00! I received my reward this past weekend by getting one of those redone rooms! WOW! Jacuzzi tub, upgrades to desk, TV, a very comfy bed, fridge, microwave etc. I was very impressed and could have spent a week or more there! Check in was professional and I was given a pool view, which was so inviting! This location has happy hour and a restaurant; great location to walking around beautiful Pasadena. Overall a perfect experience!

Room Tip: I ask for a pool view room, some rooms face street and the traffic noise might bother. If you have...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Courtyard_Pasadena, Director of Sales at Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Well… it was so nice to have you back again at The Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. Thanks so much for giving us a second chance after your first experience. We are most appreciative and hope to see you back again soon.
Until then, safe travels.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Korean first
Carlsbad, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I went to Pasadena for a conference and spent one night here. The hotel is nice and serves some food and wine in the lively lobby. I found this Courtyard to be comfortable and clean, and the staff was very friendly. The best thing about the hotel is the location; I really enjoyed walking around the surrounding streets admiring the beautiful architecture. Moreover, it's located 2 blocks from Colorado Street where there are many shops and restaurants. Highly recommended if you want to walk around Old Town.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank BrendaAS
So nice to have you staying with us at The Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. Thanks so much for sharing your experience and very thankful you got to enjoy all that Pasadena has to offer in your short time here.
Come back again soon, there is some much more to do here, including Concerts in the Park –directly behind the hotel, the Norton Simon Museum and Huntington Gardens just to name a few.
san francisco
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

This is a Courtyard, and therefore you get what you expect (PS: I am lifetime platinum at Marriott)....that being said.....

This location is superb, you are only a few blocks from the center of town..

Pros:

Location: close to downtown Pasadena; close to freeway
Price: reasonable
Quiet
Nice room
Decent cafe in hotel (nice breakfast options)
Fridge in room
Hairdryer in room (got shower cap from front desk)
Friendly (helpful) staff

Cons:

Parking fee (I always hate paying for parking)
No room safe
AC never really cooled the unit down to a comfortable 68 at night

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bbb57aolcom
As a lifetime Platinum member, thank you so much for staying with us at The Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena and for your loyalty to Marriott.
Glad to hear our great location helped make this a great experience for you.
Safe travels !
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Location is very good: tucking in a quiet corner 2 blocks away from the main shopping street of Old Pasadena. Restaurants shops aplenty. Close to 210 ramp/exit.
Old building recently renovated with nice/modern lobby. Friendly, helpful staff. Room, bath is roomy. Microwave, fridge but no inroom safe. No central air conditioning but having a loud inroom air conditioner (biggest issue). Pleasant partial view of an old church on top floor window. $17 daily parking fee.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travel_stt
Medford, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

This was our first stay at this CY hotel and we were impressed. Now, not all of the CY hotels have had entire renovations, some may have a nice lobby and such, but once you get to the room it is "early nursing home". Yes, brand inconsistency is a CY issue, but not with this hotel. Lobby, common space and all the rooms seem freshly renovated and are quite nice. Our room overlooked the interior courtyard and it was quite and we could open the windows at night for some fresh air. Generally good staff, a few stars and some who could use work on understand the needs of the customer. This hotel is prime for walking around Old Town Pasadena. If you haven't been there you are missing a treat. New LA area hot spot. Excellent shops, great places to eat and drink. Overall this is a good Courtyard, so good that we changed some reservations and return to this hotel for a second visit.

Room Tip: Rooms that open onto the interior courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MrTravelinman
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at The Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our prime location, great places to eat and newly renovated hotel. This hotel is the new direction of The Courtyard brand. As one of our recent guest said so well, “this is not your Father’s Courtyard”. Of course none of that would be possible without you the customer. So on behalf of myself, our team and The Courtyard brand in general, thank you!
Have a wonderful summer and we very much look forward to your next stay.
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

Courtyard is amazing. Its like they can read my mind. I checked in with ease, and walked into a beautiful room that had everything I wanted. A mini fridge, a microwave, usb ports everywhere, outlets near the bed, extra fluffy towels, a comfortable plush bed, a desk to work out, and no bellhops annoying us for tips(dont get me wrong, I love bellhops, but on business trips, I just want to get to my room!). There was a nice little sofa/ottoman set that was great to lounge on, and a little cafe downstairs that was actually affordable. A $4.99 kids meal was a bargain. There are also complimentary chocolates at the front desk. I was a bit embarrassed taking one after another though, but I couldnt help it, they were darn good.

And it doesn't stop there. The location is just awesome. I walked to the shops in Old Town after work, and my feet didn't get tired. Wow!

Thank you Courtyard, you set the standard for business travelers(with my family tagging along!)

• Stayed June 2014
Central Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2014

This was my second hotel brand on this trip, the one prior being a typical "airport" hotel brand. The Old Town Courtyard is clearly a cut above those.

The lobby is massive, with general lounging areas, business and PC area, breakfast cooking and eating tables, as well as the check-in desk all in the same, grand area. The result is a very open and friendly welcome. Parking was valet only and was the typical $17 added to my bill. I was here just one night on business.

The room appointments were standard and common. My view was to the courtyard/pool area but I'd rather have looked out over the city. The room's AC unit was loud and blew into the billowing curtains (a notebook trapping the curtains solved the problem) and I couldn't get the temp right using the unit's rotating red-to-blue temp control. The fact that the windows opened just a crack made the room stuffy, then cold.

The bath was clean and I found no blatant mold, mildew, cracks or broken pieces or parts. The most interesting thing is the improvement in shower curtain technology, even though I greatly prefer a shower door of some sort.

Overall the room was clean and common. It's small size gives the feeling of being cluttered. The TV placement, angled and on the wall, was a little odd, but was comfy when in bed. I slept like a log and got up only once to adjust the AC unit.

The breakfast was an omelet bar, with a talented actual cook making your eggs. Nice ingredient choices, toast, bagels, and meats. You could buy fresh fruit at the counter, and yogurt, and they serve Starbucks for those who care. None of it is free, but I didn't mind paying about $10 for a nice, fresh breakfast with no-one else's fingers in my food. I sat at a comfy padded-chair table and read the complimentary WSJ.

Valet was exceptional. The surrounding area seems very convenient and fun to explore, although I was picked up and shuttled so I couldn't explore myself. But, clearly, this is a centrally-located tourist area. I drove here in a rental car from LAX via Paramount studios and I had no problem what-so-ever navigating, thanks to the GPS on my iPhone (Remember, ear buds only - don't hold the phone - and right ear bud only. It's expensive to get caught holding a phone in CA).

I would stay here again, or upgrade to a four-star, if we visit the area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business