“Nice Place - and Will Get Evern Better with thier Upgrade!”

Courtyard Los Angeles Pasadena/Old Town
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Pasadena
Fremont, California
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,814 helpful votes
“Nice Place - and Will Get Evern Better with thier Upgrade!”
Reviewed 10 August 2007

We stayed at the Courtyard Old Pasadena and found it so pleasant. First, check in was great. They also gave you a little gift bag - chips, water, and granola bar! A nice touch. The rooms are nice - ours had a lar ge couch, was on the first floor, and really easy to get to the swimming pool. The pool and spa were enjoyable. We enjoyed their breakfast buffet in the morning - reasonable prices for a hotel and nice breakfast. They are currently upgrading areas in the hotel so the place will be even better in the future. Walkable distance to many of the great spots in Pasadena. If you plan to go to Pasadena, this place would make for a good stay. Easy to get to freeways and other areas if you want to stay at the hotel for a base to see other sites in Los Angeles. We found it easy to drive to various areas...and on our week-end went to Hollywood, Long Beach, Anaheim, and Buena Park.

• Liked — Pool and Spa
  • Disliked — Nothing (they were doing an upgrade of hotel....so perhaps that, but overall nice stay
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mini

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Ontario
Reviewed 15 July 2007

Our family stayed at this hotel for the weekend. We were in California for a family wedding. We had the most wonderful stay.
The staff were so friendly and more than helpful. The rooms were very clean. At the moment they are renovating parts of the hotel but this didn't affect us at all. Restaurants and shopping only a short walk away. We are already thinking about the next time we will stay there.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
1 Thank Prince_7
Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We stayed at the Courtyard Los Angeles Old Pasadena for 4 nights in early July, the 6th to the 9th. The front desk was fantastic, they were extremely friendly and willing to please. Upon request they sent a mini fridge and microwave up to our room - it arrived less than 15 minutes after we asked if they had something available. The room was spotless, housekeeping does a great job! The pool is nice, not huge but adequate. It was easy to get a chair beside the pool, especially during the day. The hotel is in a great location, 2 blocks from the main shopping street - Colorado. The breakfast buffet has a lot of different choices including an omelette bar. The hotel was renovating while we were there, we didn't care because the staff at the hotel were so friendly and pleasant and we didn't notice any extra noise at all from the renovations - they were doing the wallpaper in the hallway on our floor. We would definately stay at this hotel again!! It is the friendliest Marriott we have ever stayed at!!!

• Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank azure88
Arlington, VA
Reviewed 29 May 2007

When I initally read reviews about this hotel I was def. worried about the room. The location of the hotel is perfect! It is within walking distance of everything.....restaurants, great shopping and bars. The room is was very clean, the bed was comfortable and the room was quiet. The pool was a bit on the small side, but there were plenty of chairs so you didn't have to worry about saving them. I'm not sure why people had a gripe about the hotel - it's a courtyard marriott - not a four seasons! It's not a luxury hotel....if you want a four or five start hotel - stay at the ritz carlton or the westin. This hotel has the basic amenties so you can't go there with staying there. FYI - they are currently doing some renovations in some of the rooms. You can hear some of the noise during the day, but they stop promptly around 5PM and don't start early in the morning. My husband and I like to sleep in and we weren't woken up by any noise. For the value of your money, location and cleaniness, I would recommend staying there.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 6 April 2007

I decided to stay at This property the weekend of the LA Marathon, since everything closer to town was booked and I like Old Town Pasadena. This is one of those hotels you drive past and think, "Well that looks like a nice place to stay." Unfortunately, the interior, service and layout do not match the quality of the exterior.

During check in, I tried to chat a bit with the Front Desk Agent, since I work in the hotel industry. She and her cohorts (including the MOD) could not have been colder or less accommodating. I have to think, from the looks they were giving my partner and me, that this was due to our being a gay couple of different races. They were all black, and so is my partner. Well, after the cold reception, I asked where the elevator was located. With no eye contact, the manager sent us on a wild goose chase to an elevator that took us to our floor on the wrong side of the building. Meanwhile, when we left the room, we found an elevator right on our hall that took us right to the lobby area. What is the purpose of this meanness?

The room itself is very dated and tired, except a marginally comfortable bed. I found hair in the toilet, on the sink counter and in the tub...who cleans the rooms? The a/c is in the window and is very noisy...cannot control it by a normal thermostat. The overall look of the hotel is equally dated. Our room faced the courtyard and if felt like a prison block.

I must say that the parking valet was very pleasant and friendly. Outside of this, stay here ONLY if you have a very low rate and feel you can pass inspection by the rudest front desk I have ever encountered. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Liked — Location....very close to Old Town Pasadena
  • Disliked — Rude service, dirty rooms, tired, dated decor.
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
Irvine, CA
Reviewed 6 December 2006

I laughed when I read the review complaining about cottage cheese ceilings, thinking "if that's the worst thing one can say about a hotel, then it's a pretty good hotel." Let me assure you that is far from the worst thing to be said about this Courtyard.

My wife and I arrived to find our room carpet had been very recently washed/steamed (and there was a sign on the bed explaining this, so it wasn't a mistake), so our carpet was wet for the first night and day of our stay. Stupid mistake not to check out at that point. When I tried to complain about it, no managers were available. I have still yet to be able to reach a manager about it, and they have not returned my call. I received my bill via email and checked to see if maybe they had given me some sort of credit. Instead I found that they had also charged me $300 for a "smoke free cleaning". I can assure you neither my wife nor I smoke. I called the hotel about it, and, surprise, no manager was available. I have yet to receive a return call about that issue either (and meanwhile the charge is still on my card). This was easily my worst experience at a major chain hotel.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay away
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MAB1973
San Francisco
Reviewed 26 November 2006

This hotel may have been nice at one time, but don't expect more than a one and a half star on a good day. If you like old fashioned "cottage cheese" ceilings and wall mounted air conditioners/heaters that roar through the night then this is the place for you. The halls and elevators smelled of disinfectant and room service trays were left out way too long. The breakfast was not included and was $14 a head which was a little pricey for making your own waffles. This place needs a total renovation and is the last Courtyard we will stay in since they all seem to have been run into the ground.

• Liked — Check-0ut!
  • Disliked — The Room for the price.
  • Tips/Secrets — Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple