“Great decor, Food OK, Shortest Wine-by-the Glass Ever”
Review of Trattoria Neapolis - CLOSED

Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Del Mar
Transit: South Lake Avenue Gold Station
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I guess they want you to buy a bottle of wine, but I'm often the only one drinking when we go out, so I usually order a glass. Neapolis serves the smallest amount of wine-by-the-glass I've ever seen anywhere in the world. At $13 per glass, I'd have to spend $26 to get an amount of wine equal to most restaurants' single glass. The waiter told me they spent $4 million on decoration (which shows) but their stinginess with their wine is what I took away from the evening.

1  Thank Jon P

Reviewed 29 May 2014

The interior space is narrow, but absolutely gorgeous. Everything appears to be of the highest quality, from the expanses of polished wood, to the marble tables, interior cobblestones .. just great. The mixed drinks were excellent (not too many can make a perfect lemon drop) and the pizza was nicely done as well. Then we came to the main meal, where the problems began. The waiter suggested the sea bass, which three of the four of us had. It was truly awful. It was greasy, thin and generally unappealing. Bony and tasted bad. One of us had the pork special, which was very ordinary, dry and not worthy of such a place. They forgot the broccoli, and when it came it was the worst collection of tepid stems imaginable. Our waiter was friendly enough and had a very thick French accent. We tried to discreetly mention our issues with the manager on our way out, but he clearly was not interested in our problems. Our collective thoughts? Keep the servers and hostesses, take care of that lovely interior. Fire the chef and send the manager to a sensitivity training workshop .. or maybe just fire him too. Whatever the case, none of us will be back, South Lake Avenue is full of too many wonderful restaurants.

1  Thank Mark I
Reviewed 19 May 2014

If you're looking for an Italian restaurant in old town Pasadena try this one. It's a favorite of my friend. This was my first time there. It was for brunch so my friend and I had the breakfast. They give you a nice serving of bread before every meal with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. It's a unique bread that was delicious. The toast was the same bread. The brunch wine is with orange juice or cranberry juice. My friend loved it! Seating inside or outside. The turn of the century interior is popular in the area which I love. The music played was classic Italian from the 1940's or 50's. The usual big screen for sports fans. A variety of wines. Full bar. Very nice and patient server!

1  Thank teresa w
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Not the cocktail but the first queen of Italy (House of Savoia). The standard by which all pizza are judged is this one, named in her honor. Here the outer crust (the cornice) is done properly. That matters. Look for big broken blisters of dough. Trattoria Neapolis does a very good job in this.

Reviewed 17 March 2014

I'm of Italian origin and have eaten both expensive and inexpensive Italian worldwide. Without question, my meal at Trattoria Neapolis was the worst. I asked them to make veal marsala, which was not on the menu. They do offer, however, chicken marsala and veal scallapini. So, this should not have been a stretch. The breaded veal was not tender and looked awful with little trace of marsala wine. The pasta side was tasteless. The wine was served far too warm and they even screwed up my cocktail. I wouldn't be so disappointed if the prices for this crap weren't so ridiculously high. To call this Italian cooking is a crime.