“Good Pizza and Quick”

Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Corner of Lake and Union • 1 Block North of Colorado
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Good place for a nice quick bite to eat. Very reasonably priced and perfect for lunch. Went there after the Rose Bowl Parade and it was a nice little treat. Pizza was good and service was also. Not much seating and atmosphere wasn't the best. However for the quick 30 min meal we wanted it was a good stop.

There are newer reviews for Avanti Cafe

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I have been here two or three times and was not impressed. It is not that their food was bad but it did not stand out from the crowd. In a good restaurant city like Pasadena people have a lot of choices. I choose to go elsewhere. If I want good pizza I go to either Romeos (Colorado Blvd near San Gabriel) for their barbecue chicken pizza or Mamma's Pizza in South Pasadena (on Fair Oaks). I like their mushroom pizza.

I thought the pizzas at Avanti were small and not a great value for the money. The taste was only average. I had some of their pasta dishes also and thought they were average as well. Why settle for this when you can have much better?

Reviewed 9 August 2013

It says I have written about this before but I can't find it, so will do it again.

The food here is very good and the pizzas are wood fired and they are excellent.

My husband is very boring and always orders the same thing, but in the past I have tasted many dishes and they are all excellent.

I'm not sure what kind of sausage they use on the pizza but it is very very good, and the blue cheese dressing on the salad is great. It is very unusual and very tasty. Maybe I don't want to know as I see goat cheese in places on the menu so am just going to say it is sooo good.

We had a great waitress the other night. Other than one man who works and has been there a long time, there is a big turnover of employees and I do not like that. The owner seems very unpleasant so maybe he is hard to work for. I don't know but when there is a turnover this much, something isn't right, but thankfully it is not the food.

I have gone for lunch but at lunch there is no table service. Because I was in my scooter and visibly handicapped the owner brought my food to me, but not very pleasantly.

Avanti was voted Best Pasadena Pizza for 16 years, and I agree it is great. It is more on the line of California Pizza Kitchen with a big variety. The salads are big and good.

I don't know what to say about Romance here, it isn't really poor but it is a small place and u sit closely with the other customers, so if I wanted to play smoochy poo, this isn't where I would go.

Try it u will like it. I hope to go again soon and hope the same waitress is there.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

Maybe the weather was too hot out (100) to have the oven hot enough. We sent a raw looking pizza back and it still came back bready and under cooked. The taste was boring. I do like things spicy. I will never return. Everyone was nice but the pizza is boring.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I walked into this little cafe not expecting much (despite a sign that read "pasadena's best" something....blah). They were both friendly and accomodating to my handicapped (wheelchair) wife and I. Service was great, but the FOOD; the food was superb! At menu's first glance I noticed extra-ordinary ingredients. We decided to split their glazed apple pizza, and each have a salad to start with. Hands-down, the best ceasar salad ever; light and full of flavor. The apple pizza (thinly sliced apples, garlic cloves, sliced almonds, leeks, roasted red bell peppers, gorgonzola cheese, olive oil base on hand-made crust) was out of this world. By far my favorite non-traditional pizza I've had. If I'm in the area again, I will be back. Many other items on the menu to try, both ordinary and not; would recommend this place to anyone.