“OMG! Heart Attack On a Bun!!!!!”
Review of Slater's 50/50

Slater's 50/50
Ranked #15 of 711 Restaurants in Pasadena
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Slater’s 50/50® was founded in 2009 in Anaheim Hills, California by Scott Slater, a San Diego State graduate with a passion for gourmet comfort food and craft beer. Teaming up with Executive Chef Brad Lyons, they created the world’s first 50/50 burger – 50 percent ground bacon and 50 percent ground beef – taking the Southern California restaurant scene by storm. In 2011, the second Slater’s 50/50 opened in Huntington Beach followed quickly by the San Diego location. Since opening, Slater’s 50/50 has won a number of awards and accolades including “Best Burger” by The Orange County Register, OC Weekly and FOX 5 San Diego as well as Best New Restaurant by San Diego Magazine. Slater’s 50/50 has also been featured on national television shows including the Travel Channel’s Bacon Paradise and Discovery Channel’s United States of Bacon.
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“OMG! Heart Attack On a Bun!!!!!”
Reviewed 17 January 2013

OMG! Heart Attack On a Bun!!!

The 50/50 is Slayter's signature burger -- 50% ground beef and 50% ground BACON!!! The good news: insanely delicious. The bad news: you can almost feel your arteries hardening as you savor every morsel. Absolutely great burgers, and, in fairness, you can get all beef, turkeyburger, veggie burger, so it's not all atherosclerosis-on-a-bun. Clever and fun option here is a little check-the-boxes "build your own" sheet that lets you pick the size and type of burger, cheeses, sauces, veggies, breads and buns and really build the mega-burger of your dreams. Slayter's also offers a huge selection of craft brewed beers on tap. You'll find the perfect brew to accompany your signature designed burger.

The down side on the Monday evening we visited was the service, which was unbelievably slow. There were 10 of us in a group, so you don't expect speed records; but for a place that brags on its beers to take 30 minutes to get drinks on the table is breathtakingly bad service. It seemed like most of the patrons were crammed into one zone of the restaurant, so you had one waitperson trying to handle the whole restaurant while two or three others just stood around empty sections doing nothing.

Four star burgers + two star service = a three star rating.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Holokauahi

Lancaster, California
“Bacon Heaven”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

If you like big burgers and lots of bacon this is the place for you. They are famous for their 50/50 burger patty. It's 50% beef and 50% ground bacon. It is absolutely fabulous. The burgers are big, juicy and delicious. We also had some fries served with bacon ketchup. This too was a real winner. To top off our dinner we had brownies with big scoops of vanilla ice-cream. Of course we found chunks of candied bacon in our brownie. It was incredible.
The restaurant is set up like a sports bar, but is completely family friendly. I took my wife and two children there for dinner and had a great time. The service is fabulous and the prices were good. The food was so good that had I died on the way home from dinner, I think I would have had a great last meal. I highly recommend this place!!

• Visited January 2013
Stilwell, Kansas
“Great Lunch!”
Reviewed 6 January 2013

Any place with a real bacon burger that is 50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon is worth a trip. Slater's was worth it. Fun place with lots of good food.

1 Thank amfpvks
Fort Worth, Texas
“Slaters 50/50 Burgers”
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I was very excited to give this place a shot. I am 50/50 on how to write this review. This is because our experience at this resaraunt was unpleasent.

First impression was very good, the atmosphere seemed cool, lots of TVs with sports, a big brick wall with some weird slaughterhouse cow pig motif. It was saturday night, so it was pretty crowded and loud. Not romantic in any way, but we weren't looking for that this night.

When we first walked in, the two hostesses were very nice, especially the one who sat us. She gave us a breaakdown of what the 50/50 meant and chatted some small talk with us (b/c we are from Texas).

That is when it went spiraling down.
We had server after server pass us, I would say it took close to ten minutes before our server finally came to get our drink order. He spirted some lame excuse about not being in that section before, and I think he tried to say he hadn't worked there for long.
So we order two mixed drinks and two appetizers.
It took quite a while again to get the drinks to us, and way longer for the food to arrive.
At this point we had been there for close to 45 minutes and had not even ordered our main course yet.

We never saw the first server again until he came by right before we left with a lackluster attempt to apologize.

In the duration while waiting for our food, my girlfriend (who is a server at a steakhouse) got so fed up with the terrible service, she went to the nice hostess to place our order because the server never came back to check on us. She placed our order to go because she was so sick of being there and just wanted to go back to our room.

While she was gone, I had a different server come by and asked if we had been helped yet. I told him of the situation and how my girlfriend had gone to the hostess station to order our food (which the appetizers still had not arrived yet). He got a manager to come to our table.

I hate that I did not get the manger's name, because he was very polite and cordial. He ended up comping everything and offered us more drinks. We respectfully declined because we simply wanted to leave.

Our appetizers FINALLY showed up (from the second server, who was also nice). We got our burger and Buffalo Chicken strips we had ordered (to go) and walked back to the hotel.
When I opened the box for the chicken (which I had been craving), I found they had the wrong order and gave us cheese fries instead.
The whole ordeal could not have been much worse.

The Food- our appetizers were fried pickles and some artichoke fondue.
The pickles were for my woman, who said they were good.
The fondue was ok, it was too heavy on one of the ingredients, just a weird strong flavor.
The Burger- nothing special. The patty was kind of dry, we ordered Blue Cheese crumbles and there were hardly any. My biggest issue would be the bun, it is very big and thick. That really took away from the burger, I ended up just eating the bottom half.
The Cheese fries- ok, nothing special.

I have a feeling this place is better than what we got. The horrible service spoiled everything from the beginning. I might give this place another try someday, if I ever go back to Pasadena.

I would like to thank the manager and hostess again (even though they messed up the order).

Houston, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“YUM!”
Reviewed 11 December 2012

My buddy and I sat in the tv filled bar and ordered up the B B B and it was AMAZING!
It didn't even clog my arteries. 4 out of 5 stars because the service was bad-maybe your luck will be better.