“Nothing to Rave About” 3 of 5 bubbles

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: De Lacey
“Nothing to Rave About”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

We were here for the Sunday Brunch with the "Bottomless Mimosa". The Mimosas were good, very nice, but the food was so-so. My husband and I both ordered Breakfast Burritos. The presentation was appetizing, but the taste was blah! There was no salsa or taste to this dish...it was really quite bland. Being a homegrown Angeleno, it is hard for me to understand how the chef didn't know how to season a burrito.

Our server was very nice and did a great job and that made up for the lackluster breakfast.

I guess I the reason I was so disappointed in Twin Palms, is that I had to make two reservation in order to have brunch here. The first time, the hostess told us brunch was at 10am on Saturday and we found out the restaurant didn't open 'til 11am and went somewhere else; and today, they were late opening. Also, the brunch costs $68+tax and tip for two people...not worth it.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

“Excellent Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Our party of 5 drove to Pasadena from Orange County on a Friday night, parked our car on Raymond Street off of Colorado Blvd. and fed the meter our quarters. We walked around, looking for a good place to eat. First place (Italian) had a 25 minute wait so we tried a pizza place and was told a minimum of 1 hour before they could seat us. We walked along the street and saw the Twin Palms - looked a little on the pricey side from the outside, but we went in anyway and was told they could seat us in 10 minutes...and they did.

Our server was Brant. Friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable regarding the items on the menu. We ordered Calamari, Salad, Margarita pizza, sausage pizza, soup, oysters, a hamburger and a chicken order. While waiting, we asked a passing server if we could have some bread. I expected him to say, "I'll send your server over," but he simply said yes and he promptly returned with our bread. It went that way all evening long. No matter who we asked and no matter what we asked for, that particular person immediately handled our request. While Brant was our main server, they have apparently trained their personnel to handle any and all requests. I found that extremely impressive.

Unlike some of the other reviews, our food was excellent. Our chicken was tender and the vegetables were served hot and on hot plates. The mashed potatoes were delicious and the bok choy was perfect. To top it off, the price was extremely reasonable, considering the amount of food we ordered.

I want to finish this review by emphasizing the attitude, friendliness and efficiency of the staff and personnel at Twin Palms was exceptional. It was almost as if we were receiving some type of VIP service. We will recommend the restaurant to family and friends and will return on our next visit to Old Town Pasadena.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Brea, California, USA
“Disappointed and not worth the trip”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

What a let down. I ate at the re-opened Twin Palms and was quite disappointed. First, you have to park in a parking structure blocks away from the restaurant but that's Pasadena. We had the steak and the chicken entrees. The steak was some of the toughest, worst steak I've eaten in 20 years. Yuk. The dish was complimented with potato puree. If you are not familiar with this, just water down your potato's at home so you can squirt them through a syringe. Gross and tasteless. The chicken was better. It was breaded and served with a very few bite sized potato's. It was edible, but not worth the price. We each had the salad which was just Romaine lettuce with nothing else, and we thought that was so weird. I would have asked the server, but they were very scarce. Service was very odd. I felt like the staff was over worked and under appreciated. You can tell when servers are not happy and the management is disorganized. The restaurant was busy, but our dinner took over 2 hours to receive. Not sure how many of these people would return for a dinner service. The atmosphere was very nice, and I might return for a drink, but not dinner.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Gregg W
Pasadena, California, United States
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had cocktails and then dinner. The service at the bar and our table was outstanding. The food however was not. The burrata appetizer was delicious though could have used a few more mushrooms and chips as it ended up being just burrata at the end. My husband ordered the lobster which was small and one of the pieces was just mush. The waiter did correct it and brought back a complete dinner. The side dish was a bunch of fried stuff, like a fried onion, a fried green olive, a lemon, full of breading. That was the dish, lobster and a side of fried stuff. I got the sea bass which tasted good but it came with 2 small slices of potatoe, 2 chunks of onion and artichoke hearts that tasted pickled. Just a disappointing meal to say the least. Too bad because I really wanted this place to succeed.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Service could improve”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

The setting is lovely, the music was very good. The wait staff seemed to be challenged with delivering drinks and food in a timely manner and to the right person. The ribeye steak was served in a bowl of grease. Don't try the salted caramel apple dessert unless you like smoked salmon flavor a lot--amazingly weird combination of flavor--probably smoked salt, but hat ever it was, it didn't work.

Visited November 2013