“Average Thai Food”

Suriya Thai Restaurant
Ranked #329 of 722 Restaurants in Pasadena
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 7 April 2013

My wife is usually leery of Thai food so when she suggested we try this local place, I jumped at the chance. I ordered standards that I liked in the hope that they would get her to come back. We started with a Mee Krob appetizer that had very little beef, chicken or shrimp in it. I knew I was in trouble when she only ate a few bites of it. Next came wonton soup (my concession to her wanting something familiar) and she ate it but it was nothing very spectacular. Our main courses were Pad Thai with chicken and shrimp and Larb with ground beef. The Pad Thai had all of two (2!) shrimp in it (admittedly, the menu said as much) and was pretty bland in taste. Only the larb had a good strong spicy taste. My wife likes spicy food but she was disappointed by how bland the other dishes tasted. So I am back to my problem of getting her to try Thai food again, though back at home she asked if I wanted to visit Thailand some time. I said that I definitely would.

We went to Suriya on a Saturday night around 8:00 p.m. but the place only had a few diners. Not a good sign. The restaurants in this shopping plaza do most of their business at lunch time, largely from the hospital and medical offices across the street. Though a few doors down is Zushi, a nice little Japanese restaurant that also does a good evening business on weekends, and which we visit often. If you want really good Thai food, try Minn's Kitchen on Foothill Blvd. in La Canada. It's a 15 minute drive away but well worth it.

Reviewed 14 September 2012

This place is very simple, not facy but they serve real Thai food, made to roder by Thai people, and great price too. The lunch special is always delicious with a lot of food.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

My sister and I used to go here all the time 20 years ago when Thai restaurants in the area weren't as abundant as they are now, and my favorite dish was woonsen Pad Thai (woonsen = bean thread noodles made from mung beans). Today my husband and I went back there and I ordered woonsen Pad Thai again and was not disappointed. It is still the best! It was not soggy, and I requested less oil. It was perfect. It felt very lean and light. My husband was not too hungry so he ordered Tom Yum Goong, and he really liked it. He said we would have to come back when he was more hungry, so he could order Massamun curry. Yup, we'll be back!

Reviewed 12 September 2011

This little restaurant is located right across from Huntington Hospital in Pasadena, in the Orangewood Plaza (close to VONS). The decor is very cute, and the food is very tasty! They often have good lunch specials and I come here quite often!

Reviewed 9 June 2009

Suriya has probably the best Thai food I have ever had, keeping in mind that I try most Thai places I come across. It definitely has some of the best curry I've had of all the Thai restaurants I've been to in the LA and Pasadena areas. Appetizers are also fabulous -- be sure to try the golden cups. I am addicted to their Thai ice tea and Thai iced coffee, concoctions of creamy, flavorful perfection which they serve in big pint glasses. Friendly and fast service every time I have eaten there. Great environment, beautifully and tastefully decorated -- just because it's in a shopping center doesn't mean it can't be romantic! Very affordable, especially if you take advantage of their lunch specials.